Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

Just read all about it in RM.

Wow!

Wonderful concept. Wonderful layout. Wonderful execution.

I always think that the people who say "The public want to see lots of movement at exhibitions" miss a point (well, several, actually).

An exhibition should showcase the hobby in all its diversity. So yes, there need to be a fair proportion of "lots of movement" layouts; but there also need to be others showing that there ARE other approaches to railway modelling.

And then there need to be layouts like this ... which show that there are other approaches to "lots of movement" besides big four-track through stations!

Hats off: this is the sort of thing that keeps the hobby fresh and vibrant. Well done!!!

Many thanks for all the kind posts.

We certainly have a considerable amount of movement on the layout although most of it is at about 15 mph. I've always been a little worried that the slow speeds will bore everyone to death but we've only had the one complaint so far (see the final paragraph of the Modeller article).

Just got the mag yesterday and this was the first article I read and a very enjoyable read it was too. Great layout as said in other posts.

So what's the next layout going to be???????

Best regards,

Mark

Just read all about it in RM.

Wow!

Wonderful concept. Wonderful layout. Wonderful execution.

I always think that the people who say "The public want to see lots of movement at exhibitions" miss a point (well, several, actually).

An exhibition should showcase the hobby in all its diversity. So yes, there need to be a fair proportion of "lots of movement" layouts; but there also need to be others showing that there ARE other approaches to railway modelling.

And then there need to be layouts like this ... which show that there are other approaches to "lots of movement" besides big four-track through stations!

Hats off: this is the sort of thing that keeps the hobby fresh and vibrant. Well done!!!

Yes - in reality on some sheds not a great lot happens....... it is the fine line between reality and boredom - I can stand and examine a layout such as this for a while if the attention to detail is quality.

Bee Lane by Preston and District is a very good layout but totally wrong in operation with endless tailchasing although the rolling stock on display is excellent - you have to keep the masses entertained after all that is what the majority come to exhibitions for.

As for RM haven't bought it for years too many ads I suppose - prefer Rail Express with the excellent "free" modelling supplement but will give it a once over this month.

Looking forward to the DEMU - AT THE TOWN HALL - this June to see it again

Ian

Yes - in reality on shed not a great lot happens....... it is the fine line between reality and boredom - I can stand and examine a layout such as this for a while if the attention to detail is quality.

It may be true that not a great deal happens on a TMD but Aberdeen Kirkhill is primarily a rolling stock depot (with a least two sleeper rakes) not a loco depot so we have movement on the front of the layout virtually constantly. Obviously we don't leave a rake in the maintenance shed for a hour but so many other shunting moves are needed with the other stock that a rake will be in the shed for approximately 5 to 10 minutes of real time.

There are 16 passenger train moves onto the depot. 16 passenger train moves exiting the depot (thank God for that, the sequence balances!). One freight trip on and off the depot and five light engine moves both on and off the depot. Coupled with the fact that nearly every rake has to go through the wash, into the maintenance shed and then be moved to a cleaning road we end up with a spreadsheet of 165 different moves for the complete sequence.

Apart from the occasional time difference between one rake departing and another one arriving there is always a loco or complete train moving on the front of the layout over the course of the complete schedule. That takes about 4.1/2 hours, after which we start again.

Yes - in reality on some sheds not a great lot happens....... it is the fine line between reality and boredom - I can stand and examine a layout such as this for a while if the attention to detail is quality.

Most train servicing depots which I have been involved, not a lot happens during daylight as all the stock is out running trains and so they do look boring.

Where they come into they own is overnight where there is never a dull moment. Some of them will fuel, service, clean up to 20 mainline sets a night in a period of 6 to 8 hours. Trust me you do not stop with constant movement throughout the night. And then if there are problems, there will be shunts and reformations of the sets. It was always a satisfying as the sun was rising to stand and watch the trains being preped and realising what you and your team and actually achieved overnight!

Glenn and Graham through Aberdeen Kirkhall have tried to give a flavour of what a real modern train servicing depot is like. The attention to detail is fantastic but the operating sequence is quite a challenge (just like the real thing!) and it is a fantastic layout to watch. Oh and with DCC it is possible to do some "stunts" which you cann't do with dc. The obvious is the train engine following the stock down the arrival road once released but also to have the morning departures queuing at the departure signal; the next one moving up as the one in front is moving off just like the real thing.

If you get a chance to see it in the flesh do come and have a look; also come and chat to the operators and find out what it is really about.

Richard

Thanks for the post Richard. At least you and Glenn have first hand experience - I was merely a purchasing clerk!

Hope you're ready for next weekend. Should be good fun, especially with a Charter rake to contend with as well!

Most train servicing depots which I have been involved, not a lot happens during daylight as all the stock is out running trains and so they do look boring.

Where they come into they own is overnight where there is never a dull moment. Some of them will fuel, service, clean up to 20 mainline sets a night in a period of 6 to 8 hours. Trust me you do not stop with constant movement throughout the night. And then if there are problems, there will be shunts and reformations of the sets. It was always a satisfying as the sun was rising to stand and watch the trains being preped and realising what you and your team and actually achieved overnight!

Glenn and Graham through Aberdeen Kirkhall have tried to give a flavour of what a real modern train servicing depot is like. The attention to detail is fantastic but the operating sequence is quite a challenge (just like the real thing!) and it is a fantastic layout to watch. Oh and with DCC it is possible to do some "stunts" which you cann't do with dc. The obvious is the train engine following the stock down the arrival road once released but also to have the morning departures queuing at the departure signal; the next one moving up as the one in front is moving off just like the real thing.

If you get a chance to see it in the flesh do come and have a look; also come and chat to the operators and find out what it is really about.

Richard

Better stock up on the Express Lighting kits then..... wink.gif

Well done Guys a superb article which I thoroughly enjoyed reading. The photos are stunning and really show off what is an excellent layout. Hopefully one day I will get to see it in the flesh!

DEMU at Burton June 12th - Probably the best Exhibition of the year.

From what we've heard we're going to be in a less well lit section of the Town Hall for DEMU so some people probably won't be able to see anything! ;)

In the meantime we'll be keeping all the lights on at Nottingham even though it'll seem like daylight. :P

Thank you as always to Crisis Rail, Grimleygrid, Hoovernut and captinfranko for the kind comments. Compared to your depot, Grimley, ours is just a few wooden platforms and one six foot building. Yours will be an absolute joy to behold when it's finished and I do expect it to be on the exhibition circuit!

Sorry folks I keep forgetting to mention this one...

I'll be picking up a complete set of Shawplan flushglaze windows for the blue and grey HST set this weekend. Due to the light grey around the windows Glenn and I feel that this set will benefit from the flushglaze most. Obviously the new windows won't be on display at Nottingham (unless I can do them on Saturday night) but the set will certainly be ready for DEMU. A complete set of windows for eight Mk3 coaches is not cheap but the other two sets will probably be done in due course as well.

Just to answer Mark 37: the layout at home is quite a way from being started at the moment although I was making sets of sprung buffers last weekend. Once I've got the spare room tidied up and the boards sorted I'l start a new thread.

Another exhibition over and I'd like to give a huge thank you to the following:

Glenn, Richard, Richard and Alex for keeping the layout running so well. All the people who helped run the exhibition, it was a credit to all of you. Lastly thank you to everyone who stopped by to look at the layout. We had some very interesting conversations with charming people and I cannot remember a single negative comment (well spotted the gentleman who politely pointed out a couple of errors in our sequence descriptions).

If every exhibition to come is as enjoyable as all the ones that we have been invited to so far then I reckon that Glenn and I will want to be exhibiting layouts for a long time into the future.

• Like 1

Seeing as the Railway Modeller article has been out for a couple of weeks I thought that you folks might like to see some of the shots that didn't make it. There was a photo of an HST power car heading through the wash but this looks very "toy like".

The photo used on the index page (cropped in the magazine). I feel the extra height really adds to this picture:

post-7112-0-41162300-1300987352_thumb.jpg

"Strathisla" by the depot building. This was the photo originally planned for the index page:

post-7112-0-79814600-1300987355_thumb.jpg

47578 by the shed. This photo was used in the Nottingham Exhibition guide:

post-7112-0-20261400-1300987367_thumb.jpg

An overall view of the shed end of the layout. The one used in the magazine was a far better angle:

post-7112-0-71150000-1300987375_thumb.jpg

We're off to visit Ally Pally this weekend (not to exhibit) then I have next week off. That should mostly be spent doing the flush glaze windows for the HST so I'll post photos when that's done.

In the meantime, many thanks for all your interest. Feel free to comment on any aspect of the layout (or sequence) as you wish, the more feedback we have the more we can improve on what we already have.

• Like 3

Flood - there was a guy on one of the US forums that I inhabit, looking for some of those tall lattice yard lamps - can you tell me who makes them please, and I'll pass it on?

Express Models, price about £30 each. The lead time was 5 months but we needed them for Derby exhibition last May and they pulled the stops out for us. We had a bit of a problem as the feed wire runs through the metal return tube and as this tube hadn't been de-burred at the bottom (nor a plastic sleeve fitted) then the feed wire had some insulating coating scraped off and shorting occurred.

In the end Glenn solved this by running a new feed wire up the inside of each of the towers. A bit annoying having to correct the fault but the lighting towers all work fine now.

• RMweb Gold

Flood - there was a guy on one of the US forums that I inhabit, looking for some of those tall lattice yard lamps - can you tell me who makes them please, and I'll pass it on?

Hi Jack,

Express Models for the lights....

http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/acatalog/WORKING_YARD_TOWER.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Sent mum to find RM and she just sent it to me in Switzerland. Great work. Really hope to see the work one day!

Thanks Russell. I'm not sure when we'll manage to get to Switzerland! Perhaps you can arrange a holiday over here in the next few years and pop into an exhibition we're attending at the same time. I tried to keep a list of the next exhibitions our the fotopic site but sadly that's not working at the moment.