Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

Congratulations to Glenn and Graham for winning another competition

Best Layout voted by the LYDCC members

Aberdeen Kirkhill

Mike

Yes I did say earlier I expected them to get many more awards; it is great a layout and certainly not boring!!

Well done again guys!

Richard

• Like 1

As stated by Glenn I'd like to give a big thank you to everyone at LYDCC and to everyone who attended the exhibition, one hugely enjoyable experience (apart from being deaf in one ear from sinus trouble which I still have).

Over the weekend quite a number of people remarked that they had seen the layout on RMweb but never realised how big it really is. It's all very well stating 24'4" but people tend to need to be able to judge a dimension by the relation to other objects around. Below are three photos from the exhibition to try to give an idea of the layout's size (and generally plug it as much as possible).

post-7112-017242500%201288721331_thumb.jpg

post-7112-041932800%201288721349_thumb.jpg

post-7112-079951600%201288721357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

As Mike Bellamy has already reported, we won Best Layout as voted by the LYDCC members, so thank you to all who voted........... Two awards in one month........hmmmmm! We aren't used to this sort of attention, so it's all ever so slightly embarrassing but in a nice sort of way!

Enjoy it. You deserve it!!!! :biggrin_mini2: :good_mini:

Sorry I'm late but well done on "Best Layout".

What did you do about sanding facilities? It seems in the UK that once systems similar to American Service Yards were used but then they fell into disuse for a variety of reasons....appreciate your views on this subject.

Cheers! Pete.

Sorry I'm late but well done on "Best Layout".

What did you do about sanding facilities? It seems in the UK that once systems similar to American Service Yards were used but then they fell into disuse for a variety of reasons....appreciate your views on this subject.

Cheers! Pete.

Thanks! Much appreciated, but still not used to it!

Regarding sanding facilities, I'm not too sure what you're referring to here, but I'm assuming it's the facility for refilling the locomotive sandboxes for improved adhesion? If so, then the answer is quite simple: Nothing! There weren't that many diesel locos on BR that had sanding equipment fitted - and still fewer on which it actually worked!! Class 47s were never fitted with sanding in BR days and were ony fitted post-privatisation by Freightliner. HSTs have never been fitted. Smaller locos of Classes 26 & 37 (in our case) were fitted, but to fill them, BR resorted to a high tech solution: a watering can! Sand was stored as it was delivered in polythene bags and then the cans were filled from these as required; that way the sand stayed reasonably dry - so long as the cans were only used to carry sand, not oil or coolant etc......

More modern tram/light rail vehicle depots do now have automated sand-filling systems, but you never saw any such sophistication under BR. But their system, crude though it was, worked.

You wouldn't have seen much, if any evidence of it at a depot such as Kirkhill though.

As a foot-note, more modern locos do now make extensive use of sand and also many DMUs/EMUs are fitted with sanders too now, but in the latter case it is there to provide adhesion during braking for disc-braked stock. Lots of sand gets used at this time of year, during leaf-fall.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks! Much appreciated, but still not used to it!

Regarding sanding facilities, I'm not too sure what you're referring to here, but I'm assuming it's the facility for refilling the locomotive sandboxes for improved adhesion? If so, then the answer is quite simple: Nothing! There weren't that many diesel locos on BR that had sanding equipment fitted - and still fewer on which it actually worked!! Class 47s were never fitted with sanding in BR days and were ony fitted post-privatisation by Freightliner. HSTs have never been fitted. Smaller locos of Classes 26 & 37 (in our case) were fitted, but to fill them, BR resorted to a high tech solution: a watering can! Sand was stored as it was delivered in polythene bags and then the cans were filled from these as required; that way the sand stayed reasonably dry - so long as the cans were only used to carry sand, not oil or coolant etc......

More modern tram/light rail vehicle depots do now have automated sand-filling systems, but you never saw any such sophistication under BR. But their system, crude though it was, worked.

You wouldn't have seen much, if any evidence of it at a depot such as Kirkhill though.

As a foot-note, more modern locos do now make extensive use of sand and also many DMUs/EMUs are fitted with sanders too now, but in the latter case it is there to provide adhesion during braking for disc-braked stock. Lots of sand gets used at this time of year, during leaf-fall.

Hope this helps.

Had been thinking of the reply all day!

I think if you were going to model the sand then it would be a pallet with the bags piled up on top; yes from what I remember at the North East Depots we stored it outside. We did go through a lot as we had Class 56s at the time and the sanders had to work on them! However I suspect Clayhills would not have had sand as it was (is?) a coaching stock depot with the fuelling facility put in for HSTs (which of course did not need sand). Certainly as you said there never was any special sand drying facilities on a "modern" diesel depot not even those which had previously been steam sheds like Gateshead and Haymarket. Whilst you fuel the odd loco do we do a fuel point exam....or do we expect that to be done at a loco depot later in the day??

A few years after the date for Clayhills we got lots of sand at Heaton for the Class 91s but that was still supplied bagged! And we went through a lot as they would keep dumping it all in the yard as the sanders were automatic ones!

Sorry then started thinking about No 4 & 5 exams as I don't think we put any stock in the shed during the day.....As that something else for Graham to think of!

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

At Warley picked up a copy of the new Railway Modeller Annual 2011. One of the articles is about forthcoming attractions in 2011 to appear in the Railway Modeller.......and in there is an atmospheric shot of two HSTs in the dark at Aberdeen Clayhills.

At Warley picked up a copy of the new Railway Modeller Annual 2011. One of the articles is about forthcoming attractions in 2011 to appear in the Railway Modeller.......and in there is an atmospheric shot of two HSTs in the dark at Aberdeen Clayhills.

Actually Richard there is an atmospheric shot of two HSTs in the dark at Aberdeen Kirkhill. ;)

Publish date will be April 2011. I can tell you all now seeing as Steve Flint has stated this date in the Annual.

Actually Richard there is an atmospheric shot of two HSTs in the dark at Aberdeen Kirkhill. ;)

Publish date will be April 2011. I can tell you all now seeing as Steve Flint has stated this date in the Annual.

Sorry Graham. New job has me involved with Clayhills and easily get confused........:unsure:

Things must have looked a little quiet recently on the rolling stock front, but just to prove that I haven't lost interest, I thought I'd post a few photos of current progress on the InterCity Charter rake. The five Mark 1s are now almost complete; all they need to finish them is numbering and some detail labels applying - end detail and coach letters - and a final coat of varnish. Then reassembling and the Kadee couplers fitting. Then I'll be able to get on with sorting out the sleepers......and the other ScotRail Mark 2d vehicles........and a 150/2 that I bought at Warley............... etc etc...

Anyway, the photos:

FO 3120 in InterCity exec livery:

post-7306-020521800 1290466994_thumb.jpg

FO 3131 in INTERCITY swallow livery:

post-7306-066488600 1290466978_thumb.jpg

There are a further two FOs in this livery: 3132 and 3107.

RBR 1666 in exec livery:

post-7306-025912700 1290467005_thumb.jpg

Graham got some Replica flush glazing at Warley and is going to experiment on the remaining blue/grey FO. If it works out ok, we may retrofit the charter rake to further improve its appearance, but I'm starting to feel quite pleased with the results as they are.....flush glazing would be an added bonus!

• Like 3

Excellent thread.

BTW, who markets that painting stand you have there under those IC liv MkIs?

Thanks

Thanks!

The stand is made by Tamiya - you actually get two in the same box - the body stand you see in the photos above and also a larger turntable stand. I find them really useful for spraying - far better than pieces of wood or trying to hold the work in my hand! They retail around the £20 mark for the two, although you may find them cheaper at exhibitions etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The stand is made by Tamiya - you actually get two in the same box - the body stand you see in the photos above and also a larger turntable stand. I find them really useful for spraying - far better than pieces of wood or trying to hold the work in my hand! They retail around the £20 mark for the two, although you may find them cheaper at exhibitions etc.

Thanks - I'll keep my eyes open. I model in 7mm so I will have a good look at them first to see if they are man enough before parting with any cash!

Did you repaint the coaches or just the roofs? They look great!

Thanks - I'm pleased with them! They were complete repaints from blue/grey, apart from the RBR which was a complete repaint from exec because it looked scabby and also it didn't match the Railmatch colours that were going onto the FOs.

This was part way through the process - FOs masked with the dark grey applied and the RBR still in primer (two ScotRail Mark 2s in primer also):

post-7306-030364400 1290559348_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening everyone.

After a weekend at Warley followed by ridiculous amounts of snow in Derby, Glenn and I have managed to do some more fiddling for the layout.

Emphasis at the moment is on coaching stock and Glenn will have some photos for you all over the next couple of days with his little projects. In the meantime I'll let you have a look at the latest addition to the coaching stock fleet that was completed ten minutes ago.

Yes after exactly 6 months and one day since the last photo I can finally post a completed Mk2D BFK.

1440676724_Mk2dBFK(3).JPG.19872f125e93378bf4277ef880908f11.JPG

850263586_Mk2dBFK(4).JPG.72fcbdc6f5c08f0522afcffc8ec150e6.JPG

Conversion by me, main colours and stripes by Alex (Lochnagar), transfers and finishing details (white handrails) by me. Hope you all like it as much as I do.

For anyone who thinks we've just repainted an air-con BSO there is this photo.

704314882_BSOandBFK.JPG.b329da76498db85e87a1b23a9c09b10f.JPG

Edited by Flood
  • Like 3

Hi,

The MK2d BFK looks great, problem is that my MK2 d is wrong I didn't know about the different window arrangment.:rolleyes:

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the compliment Pete, I'm well chuffed with the result. Most people wouldn't worry about the windows (my excuse is the OCD). There's always the chance you could make it a little winter project for yourself, hopefully you'd manage to complete it quicker than I have.

I've always had a soft spot for the air-con FK and BFK coaches. Until I joined BR in 1985 I had 1st class free travel courtesy of my Dad so I enjoyed many a trip in one or the other down the West Country. A compartment first with correctly working air-con was always a very agreeable travelling experience.

All I need to do now is finally get round to moving the toilet windows in my four TSOs to make them Mk2Es and the Plymouth - Aberdeen rake will be finished (might just manage it by this time next year!)

Well, as Graham said, we've been concentrating on coaching stock and you may remember that I've been working on a few recently. I've just about finished the day coaches for the InterCity Charter rake now - only the air brake additions for the underframe to add now, but as they are, they're pretty much done and certainly useable.

As of this evening the rakes looks like this (remember, they started off in blue/grey):

post-7306-040916200 1292194281_thumb.jpg

FO 3120:

post-7306-050331700 1292194302_thumb.jpg

FO 3107:

post-7306-020431300 1292194323_thumb.jpg

RBR 1666:

post-7306-057484900 1292194339_thumb.jpg

FO 3132 (this will get its B4 bogies swapped out for Commonwealths this week):

post-7306-008623400 1292194369_thumb.jpg

FO 3131:

post-7306-070194400 1292194382_thumb.jpg

The BG that you can just see part of in the overall view is a Bachmann and as far as the livery is concerned, it's straight out of the box, although I've modified the bogies so that it sits at the correct height. Bachmann Mark 1s on B4s always look like they're standing on tip-toe and from a practical point of view, the coupling heights end up being too high as well. This one has also been fitted with Kadee No.5s in common with the rest of the rake.

I've just got those four Lima sleepers to repaint now and the Charter rake will be complete.....

• Like 2