Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

Many thanks for the compliment Mark.

If you're anywhere near the East Midlands (or even if you're not) please come and say hello at Nottingham Exhibition on 19th/20th March this year.

Thanks for the invite I would love too see it in the flesh, but I'm at the south end of Loch Lomond. The only show I will be at this year is Model Rail Scotland.

Best regards,

Mark

absolutely stunning layout.............only reason i found it was a link on an advert for the Nottingham show....i shall be going purely to see this and saying hi B) i am also creating a TRSMD myself based onthe Virgin depot at Oxley in Wolverhampton, so to see this layout to gain inspiration from is pure brilliant. :)

Nice rebuild on the coaches.....

Thank you. I'm guessing you mean the air-con stock but a considerable amount of stock has had to be repainted and all the coaching stock will have been renumbered by the time we've finished. Once the charter rake and another ScotRail push-pull set are done we'll be well on the way to 100 coaches if not more.

Thanks for the invite I would love too see it in the flesh, but I'm at the south end of Loch Lomond. The only show I will be at this year is Model Rail Scotland.

Best regards,

Mark

Both Model Rail Scotland and Perth are on our "must visit" list over the next few years. We're going to have to chat to a few regulars on the exhibition circuit and see if we can get some contacts.

absolutely stunning layout.............only reason i found it was a link on an advert for the Nottingham show....i shall be going purely to see this and saying hi B) i am also creating a TRSMD myself based onthe Virgin depot at Oxley in Wolverhampton, so to see this layout to gain inspiration from is pure brilliant. :)

Thanks sludge, coaching stock depots tend to be large so I don't blame you for modelling in N. Please introduce yourself when you see us and we'll try to explain as much as we can about how the depot operates and why the stock moves around as it does. We're hoping to have made some front information boards which will hopefully enlighten Joe Public as to the work required on a depot each night (I think a lot of people think railway staff sleep at night - far from it!)

• Like 1

Over to Stafford tomorrow to spend some money on another little project that I'm planning at the moment. In the meantime there are only six weeks to go until the exhibition at Nottingham and I have finally numbered all the HST coaches.

A huge thank you must go to John at Precision Transfers who has supplied me with some 75mm numbers for the swallow HST set. As they were already in the full coach numbers I required it only took me an hour to renumber the last HST this morning compared with about 3.1/4 hours for each HST set when I used HMRS transfers on the other two sets.

I won't bore you with all eight cars in each set so here are three photos, one for each livery.

943605559_HSTswallow.JPG.dadfc77dbd0ade52b742260126096fd2.JPG

799162951_HSTBG.JPG.58a5428befdfe319ad2220bb6b40b17e.JPG

375778911_HSTexecutive.JPG.2dd653c82e13b3e8c5337dae5164bd48.JPG

Finally a close up of the buffets .

1077207094_HSTbuffets.JPG.2259e9299eb755dc6b0717b66a0efe95.JPG

The executive set does show the problem of using Fox regional letters with HMRS numbers, the Fox letters are slightly bigger. Oh well.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

Good to see the notice in this months modeller of the layout featuring as you said, in next months edition!

We've had the thumbnails of the photos sent so we can do some captions. Glenn and I are very pleased with the results even though the ones we've seen are only low res.

Railway Modeller should be out about ten days before we are at Nottingham so that should give the exhibition some free advertising. We'll try to get some pdfs of the article by email so we can display the pages at the front of the layout. We're hoping to have some information boards for the public to read as well.

We're certainly looking forward to all of this years exhibitions after the success of last year.

Things have been a little quiet on this thread on the rolling stock front recently, so I thought I'd give you an update of progress so far:

The InterCity Charter Rake is now complete - I posted some photos of the Mark 1s not so long ago, but hadn't finished the sleepers at the time. Well now I have and the whole rake was seen passing through Duffield earlier this week on-route back to Aberdeen (although why it appears to be heading south is still something of a mystery!). Fortunately Ramrig was there with his camera and managed to snap a few shots as it passed by:

The whole train as it approaches:

post-7306-0-88109100-1298077568_thumb.jpg

Class 37 and ETHEL (hmmmm, I think Ramrig has been busy here - anyone notice anything?)

post-7306-0-38692200-1298077583_thumb.jpg

SLEP 10503

post-7306-0-58759700-1298077602_thumb.jpg

SLEP 10514

post-7306-0-38743900-1298077621_thumb.jpg

SLE 10726

post-7306-0-90952700-1298077637_thumb.jpg

SLEP 10520

post-7306-0-23408200-1298077651_thumb.jpg

I know you've seen the rest before, but Ramrig's camera is better than mine and these are more picturesque surroundings than my dining room!

FO 3131

post-7306-0-84304700-1298077666_thumb.jpg

FO 3132

post-7306-0-64584500-1298077679_thumb.jpg

RBR 1666

post-7306-0-53804000-1298077692_thumb.jpg

FO 3107

post-7306-0-36763200-1298077705_thumb.jpg

FO IC3120C

post-7306-0-40411500-1298077720_thumb.jpg

BG 92130

post-7306-0-50548700-1298077733_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much to Ramrig for taking the shots.

This rake will be running at the Nottingham East Midlands Model Railway Exhibition on 19th - 20th March, so why not come along and see it, together with the rest of Kirkhill?

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The new order arrives at Aberdeen Kirkhill:

post-7306-0-89674000-1298815904_thumb.jpg

Don't worry, we aren't going in for mass Sprinterisation like BR in the 1980s; we need the 150 to take over the diagram currently worked by the Stonehaven Mark 1 set so we can release some shunting capacity to enable us to deal with the charter rake on the days that we run it. By winter 1988, there were a number of 150s on ScotRail (the first 3 having arrived in July 1987) and a few did occasionally make forays to Aberdeen - at least that's our story and we're sticking to it!

150 257 was one of the first 150s allocated to Haymarket, so that was chosen as the subject for this model. It started out as a Regional Railways unit that I picked up from the returned and repaired section of the Bachmann stand at Warley last year. It's been renumbered and the livery adjusted somewhat from Regional Railways to the original Sprinter design:

Silver grey extended to the bodyends and around the cantrail, replacing the dark blue and the white cantrail stripe on the original model and also the branding has been changed.

post-7306-0-14863000-1298815915_thumb.jpg

Another change was to add an extension to the exhaust stacks on both cars so they now look like they actually come from somewhere, rather than it being left hanging in space.

post-7306-0-89073300-1298815926_thumb.jpg

We've also been lucky enough to have a sneak preview of our article which will be in the April edition of Railway Modeller. We can't say too much, obviously, but suffice to say the photography is stunning - can't believe it's actually our layout in the pictures! Should be in the shops on 10th March.

Next weekend will be spent setting the layout up again so we can clean it and check that it all still works prior to the Nottingham Exhibition and test out the new sequence, followed by about a week of wheel-cleaning on the locos and a heavy general overhaul on the two 08s to get them back in A1 condition. They probably work the hardest of all our locos at exhibitions, so they must deserve a bit of TLC by now.

• Like 2

On the 150/2 for 'as built' you will also need to put the window back in the middle of the gangway and the draught cover (clear with thin black edging)that goes over it.

As Captain Mannering used to say in Dad's Army: I was wondering how quickly someone would notice that - well spotted! We noticed that ourselves on Saturday evening after Graham had been scouring Fotopic for more Class 150 photos - and I also had a photo I took of 257 at Dundee in 1987 which shows the window as well.

We've been wondering how best to go about "putting" it in. One thought I've had - which Graham seems to think might work - is to paint it on and then fit the perspex screen in front. If that doesn't work, we'll just have to do it properly and cut it out - can't say I relish that idea though! :unsure:

We've been wondering how best to go about "putting" it in. One thought I've had - which Graham seems to think might work - is to paint it on and then fit the perspex screen in front. If that doesn't work, we'll just have to do it properly and cut it out - can't say I relish that idea though! :unsure:

Not a bad idea; those covers tended to gather dust quite quickly which made them more difficult to see through. You could try adding a frame to the door from 5 thou." first, then paint the frame in satin or matt black/dark grey and the window part gloss. That might give sufficient effect without resorting to drills and files.

Another idea I spoke to Glenn about today is to print a "window" onto a sticky label, black edging with a dark grey "window" area. Once the plastic cover is fitted over the top the correct effect might be achieved.

The photo below shows a unit about the same age as ours would be so this is the effect we need to be looking for.

http://colinpbrooks.fotopic.net/p58194652.html

Don't you mean Captain Mainwaring :D dry.gif ? Or were you waiting for someone to spot that as well??????????:blink:

Exactly, well done Wilson! :D;)

Must admit, I didn't think it looked quite right when I typed it last night, but then it was getting late - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Today the window in the gangway door was "added" to the 150. Graham had come over for an operating session to test out the new schedule, but the wiring looms needed maintenance first. I was busy refitting cable mounts which had come loose on the underside of the baseboards and trying to avoid hot-gluing myself. Graham was sat in my kitchen doing something with my PC and printer - I thought he was printing out the schedule, but he had gone very quiet which is always worrying........ After a while there was a chuckle followed by "Eat your heart out RM Web!" and he appeared with my 150 with a window and perspex screen fitted in each of the gangways:

post-7306-0-51683400-1299454263_thumb.jpg

Not the best quality photo - the rectangle above the window is the shadow cast by the gangway which of course now reflects in the acetate. It still needs weathering and I think this will improve the effect with a dirty screen. The "window" is copied from a photo of the front of a 150/2, scaled and then printed onto a sticky label which is stuck on the door. Some acetate sheet then makes up the perspex screen. It may sound a bit "Hornby Dublo-ish" but it works and was much quicker than cutting the window out, especially as we don't have time for that at this point. :rolleyes:

Thanks Graham! :D

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

.... After a while there was a chuckle followed by "Eat your heart out RM Web!" and he appeared with my 150 with a window and perspex screen fitted in each of the gangways...

Not quite how I remember the conversion going but there ya go...

I probably should have darkened the window border with a black pen before I put the screen over the top. As it is the screen is just held in place by the gangway stuck with Bostick so both should be pretty easy to remove if I so wish.

By the way:

Check out this months (April 2011) Railway Modeller for 8 (yes, eight) pages on Aberdeen Kirkhill. Should be in the shops this Thursday if I've heard correctly. We've seen copies of the article and we are seriously impressed with the job Steve Flint and the Modeller have done.

One week to go until Nottingham Exhibition and we had a reasonably successful running day last Sunday. I say "reasonably successful" as one loco did try to bend itself apart but Glenn has managed to repair it.

Four Mk2 air-con first class coaches have finally been numbered by me this week and kadees for them will go on tonight. The Mk2E TSO stock will not be ready for Nottingham so will have to be done for DEMU. In addition, three of the air-con firsts are in blue and grey and need a white line adding between those colours. That will also have to wait until after Nottingham, along with the last few ScotRail Mk2 air-cons that need painting.

After the above we will have all the rolling stock finished and only one loco to finish and cover in snow. This will be 37046 which will be working with 37033 on the snowploughs.

My time can then go towards the layout I want in my house. As it won't be based on Scotland and there will be no coaching stock it'll be quite a change from building Kirkhill.

In the meantime, if you manage to visit Nottingham Exhibition please say hello to Glenn, me, Lochnagar and 47401 over the course of the weekend.

Hi Guys. Bought April RM today and saw Kirkhill in all it's glory for the first time. Two hours later I'm looking at the threads on RMWeb and I've just spent an hour or so reading this. Amazing work fellas. Congratulations are in order. I look forward to seeing the layout in the flesh.:)