RMweb

Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2023 at 09:32, St Enodoc said:

Great progress. At this rate, everything will be finished by the middle of November...

7 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Meanwhile ...

PXL_20231007_190721896.jpg.46f3f1fc8f58b2d24e36313a2213cf50.jpg

I've laid the first lengths of the down goods lines, here demonstrated by a Black 5-hauled parcels train.

PXL_20231007_190808713.jpg.dc0dce942bb6145bc5138e49ac23d7f2.jpg

Come on! Hurry up and get the rest of it laid ...

I was only joking, guvnor...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

We only had room for a small segment of the Upperby roundhouse, no turntable (or track for that matter) in ours. These photos taken in 2014, this part of the layout is still very unfinished, track not even painted yet although it's all working.

DSCF2636.JPG.b287425237da433a9f14e1807962876d.JPG

The roundhouse would be more than 4ft in diameter to scale and this part of our layout isn't, there's a good deal of compression south of St Nicholas bridge.

DSCF2635.JPG.e3c28e2502da533bdc2a9f874622242a.JPG

We did have room for the outside 70ft turntable though - originally built for Leeds Victoria more than 40 years ago.

DSCF2478.JPG.adff1253d67dc65d28a939e8d25f3ad3.JPG

Close up of the building, constructed by the amazing Ukrainian modellers who did most of our buildings. Sadly and worryingly we haven't heard from them for over a year now.

Thanks Mike. I've seen the plans in your files for this segment of the depot but don't think I've actually seen photographs of it.

Once it became clear that I couldn't include Upperby AND Kingmoor on my scheme, I concentrated on Upperby, with the roundhouse being a key part, fitted into the corner as it is (but not quite the full building). One of the main features of the scheme will be the operation of locos on and off shed, following diagrammed workings, home locos, visiting locos, etc.

I'm hoping that at least some aspects of the depot will be recognisable, even though - like yourself - there's considerable compression going and, at least in my case, quite a bit of distortion because of the corner plot.

I thought the outside turntable was a 60ft example? That's what the captions in my reference works say!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

You can find photos in a folder of “layout photos” but there’s a lot to wade through. Ours is 70ft anyway, it’s one of three I built for Leeds Victoria, the 60ft one is now at Brunswick, this one was for the loco shed and is 70ft and the Victoria one (65ft) was given to the club for another project.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

You can find photos in a folder of “layout photos” but there’s a lot to wade through. Ours is 70ft anyway, it’s one of three I built for Leeds Victoria, the 60ft one is now at Brunswick, this one was for the loco shed and is 70ft and the Victoria one (65ft) was given to the club for another project.

Was that the one that went in the middle of Hartford Junction's fiddle yard? If so (or if not), where is it now?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Was that the one that went in the middle of Hartford Junction's fiddle yard? If so (or if not), where is it now?

It is now on Bournemouth West..a layout that has just resurfaced from a l9ng storage stint. Looks like this could end up being.... finished...

Baz

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Bit of a Duchess fest but - hey

PXL_20231015_145919528.jpg.4837a44b7184c7d1cee41e208a1c5711.jpg

My new Hornby 'Hornby-Dublo' 46234 tackles the grade unassisted with the 10-coach Birmingham-Glasgow.

PXL_20231015_145930730.jpg.6c3110232443923bf8d74cf42ed38406.jpg

And to complete the colour palette:

PXL_20231015_142203683.jpg.494c79dfdea6804004fd04f0938e45f1.jpg

'Sir's' maroon 46245 crests the summit with the  'Caledonian'.

Layout settled down reasonably quickly and we generally went round the chronological schedule of 39 trains in 35-40 minutes so there was generally something moving most of the time.

Also had a layout photo shoot Friday evening for Hornby mag for a future edition.

Would have voted for this had I known as the quality of stock and long trains running continually ticked my boxes. No wonder there were crowds round it all weekend.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Graham

As many who know me will already be aware, my wife is disabled and going to shows has to be limited to 90 minutes or so - and that includes travel there and back! I have to be 'highly focussed'!🤓

Fortunately, we have four very good shows here in Milton Keynes each year: MKMRS in June; Silver Fox in August; the very much smaller 'local show' at Olney in September; and GETS in October.

Sadly, that time also precluded me meeting up 'gwrrob' this time.

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Graham,

I enjoyed seeing HOTN again. Your sequence of trains through the ages is a great way of running such a layout - one I intend to follow when I get that far with my Glenfinnan layout. I really appreciate the well researched and put together formations which raise the layout above the norm.

I found the show as a whole unpleasantly crowded. Between 1100 and 1400 on Sunday it was hard to move. But it was worth the effort as there were a lot of good layouts there. 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for giving us a show report Graham. It's very much enjoyed by those of us too far away to get to shows. This years one and only show has been cancelled this coming up Thanksgiving. Shame because I was very much looking forward to exhibiting with Dunster after a two year break on my part due to (dare it be mentioned) COVID19. Sounds like a great time was had by all those involved.

Regards Shaun.

PS. I do the time period thing with Dunster: Great Western on Saturday and BR trains on the Sunday!  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I found the show as a whole unpleasantly crowded. Between 1100 and 1400 on Sunday it was hard to move. But it was worth the effort as there were a lot of good layouts there. 

I agree. I didn't manage to get in to see any layout until about 2:30. I did manage to get in and see a few layouts (including 'Hills of the North') after that, but with only an hour and a half until closing, I couldn't hang around to see the full sequence as I had wanted to do...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Heljan turntable powered up and tested. All seems to work OK (phew!) Even managed to work out how to programme the stopping positions.

Judging by the experiences of some folk round here, that's quite an achievement (for the avoidance of doubt, not me - the MCL doesn't need a turntable).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1