Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2024 at 23:26, 30851 said:

The test trains consisted of 600 tons of empty passenger stock - which sounds like an expensive train to model!

That seemed to be the standard at the time. Derby used to test new classes of diesel with 20 coaches running down through Bromsgrove then doing an unassisted climb up Lickey with a stop and restart at Vigo IB signals.

On 10/01/2024 at 15:20, LNER4479 said:

Not so over the S&C, where there was no banking, fewer prestige trains and where an 8F was good for a prolonged 25mph slog up the 'long drag'.

In April 1960 I went on a walking trip from school to the Yorkshire Dales. We stayed one night in Stainforth Youth Hostel which was almost on top of the S&C tunnel. You could feel the vibrations when an 8f or 9F went through towards Carlisle. Two days later weclimbed Whernside and sat watching the trains struggle up over Ribblehead against a northwesterly gale.

On 11/01/2024 at 08:51, 46256 said:

I believe in steam days it was the 4 50 pm departure from Water Orton yards. This was my home village. I have included a photograph of what I believe is the train about to commence its journey.

It used to convey the vans from Cadburys to the north. The trip from the factory to Water Orton was the only freight to be regulary booked through New Street.

On 12/01/2024 at 08:48, Chamby said:

www.shedbashuk.blogspot.com

A great site. It's useful to look at what was in the works as well. I'm modelling the Black Country so checking Wolverhampton Works I found lots of tank engines from all around the old GWR lines under attention there. A lot got onto running in turns on trip freights including Condenser Panniers, and a 15xx was photographed at Worcester on a passenger train after attention there.

Several Fowler locos allocated to the West of Scotland got back to Derby, so presumably via the G&SW and S&C.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

My thanks in particular to @LNERGE of this parish who first made me aware of its potential availability.

There's even a cunning plan to fit new bulbs to it ...

😀

Loads of block occupancy detection required… 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

It'll look great when you've got all the occupancy lights wired and connected to the layout....

I'll see myself out.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, ian said:

It'll look great when you've got all the occupancy lights wired and connected to the layout....

Well, first of all there's the minor matter of actually building the layout that it relates to ...

I may be gone some time 🤔

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

On 16/01/2024 at 22:47, LNER4479 said:

I hope you’ve got a lot of time on your hand. I did that Lancaster jigsaw a couple r years ago. Really enjoyable, BUT, probably the most difficult one I’ve ever done. It was the only jigsaw I completed from the middle out…l

PXL_20240115_120548914.jpg.8d2dc5146dd1ed6909016e0b03d7ff2e.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, ian said:

I'll see myself out.

That would be a doddle with a dcc point control setup.  Just needs two wires up to the panel from the layout, and mimic units for the lighting.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Chamby said:

That would be a doddle with a dcc point control setup.  Just needs two wires up to the panel from the layout, and mimic units for the lighting.

How would that manage to show track occupancy?

On 16/01/2024 at 22:47, LNER4479 said:

.. the former track panel indicator board from Carlisle No.5 signalbox

. . . .appears to be looking down on a box with a cutaway of a Lancaster bomber on the lid? Is that what's inside?

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

As already spotted by philip-griffiths above, 'tis a jigsaw puzzle, an occasional weakness of mine 🧩

You have time for jigsaws too?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, BoD said:

You have time for jigsaws too?

12 hours ago, gr.king said:

For a split second it looked to me as if you'd hung that panel in the lounge. Then I thought "don't be silly", and then I saw the rest of the image...

With the staggering amount he seems to get done I was wondering where the sofa bed resides, that's if he sleeps at all! (It has been known for Mrs. Sasquatch to kick the garage doors in the small hours after I've nodded off in the office chair).

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

There is a Haynes manual for the Lancaster...just saying!

Regards Lez. 

There is one for Chall3mger 2 as well.. but its full of m8stakes..

Baz

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Barry O said:

There is one for Chall3mger 2 as well.. but its full of m8stakes..

Baz

Well I can't comment on that as that tank came along long after I had left the army. I'm also fairly sure you can't strip and rebuild a Lancaster from the manual either but I do know for sure that if you followed the original Haynes manual for the Honda CX500 the front forks would be pointing up not down. In fairness they did correct the issue in the 2nd edition.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

There is a Haynes manual for the Lancaster...just saying!

Regards Lez. 

No Haynes manual, but my grandfather WAS the manual. He was RAF ground crew and then towards the end of war taught (was a craft teacher prewar) the new recruits at St Athan how to repair the aircraft. He could walk around at a display and tell you all sorts of stories, and how bits worked. 

On one occasion he was fixing a Lancaster engine when a 109 came low strafing the airfield.  He survived by climbing up between the cowling and the engine block. When asked by his CO how he had survived he asked my grandfather to show him. He couldn’t get back in the gap. Just shows what adrenaline does for you. 

• Like 11

15 hours ago, Chamby said:

Graham doesn’t use DCC,  but a CBUS system of detectors, CANINP and mimic outputs would do the job with two wires…..

• RMweb Gold

My uncle Sid was a Coastal Command pilot. He flew Lancs, B17s and B24s he won a DFC and bar for sinking 2 U boats, one in 42 and the second in 43. We were very proud of uncle Sid he was a proper "tally ho chaps" RAF type with a handle bar mostash. My dad was a toolmaker so they didn't let him join up although he did volunteer. He built Lancaster cockpit assemblies or made the tooling for them should I say. Later on he was involved with tooling up for the mechanisms on the Mulberry harbours. He was also a volunteer fireman during the blitz before working for Avro on the Lancs. Needless to say we were very proud of him as well. Mum was a Uniformed messenger at the war office her claim to fame was that she got chased down the Mile End Road by a V1 and had to throw herself up a side street to get out of it's way. I always phoo phooed this until one day my aunty Gladys produced a newspaper cutting with a photo of a V1 fetched up in a shop front in Mile End Rd with my mum and an ARP warden standing next to it. 

Regards Lez      

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1