Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Gold

If you want a L&YR 'A' class 0-6-0, start a thread stating that you are building one on a Hornby SE&CR 'C' Class chassis. Then everyone else say its such a good idea that you are doing the same. Hornby will see the thread and say, "Hey, these guys are our core buyers....We can't let them start building their own locos". Outcome:  Announcement of a Hornby L&Y A class...

Seemples Simon.  :biggrin_mini2:

attachicon.gifWEB L&Y A Class.jpg

The only flaw in that being that it's in the wrong thread. The C Class is made by Bachmann, not Hornby.

John

Will Hornby announce their own ex-GE/LNE N7 to replace the Oxford Rail version; it has been rumoured that development work has already been undertaken on the proposal by Hornby's team?

I would quite welcome this Pint! As I stated when I opened the thread on the Oxford N7, the choices Oxford chose to model were, to say the least, a little puzzling, locking out as they did the most popular modelling era, BR 1948=62, apart from a very few examples.

I would like to see the round-top boiler version, lined black, late/early crest, to the standard of the 'H', end of story. Will not buy a Belpaire version, all gone by mid-1950s. I suspect many will agree, especially with a 'Quad' or a 'Quint', (I already have the latter from Mr. Kirk!).

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought the only flaw was in expecting box openers to build things......   :onthequiet:

TBH, there's no obvious reason for any manufacturer to pick any pre-grouping 0-6-0 over any other, unless a theme is being followed, e.g. Hornby picking the Black Motor was somewhat to be expected due to previous coverage of locos from the western division of the SR and BR(s).

Before the C Class, Bachmann had very little of a track record for anything Southern. Two locos, four coaches and a bogie brake van; mostly begun elsewhere and acquired following business failures rather than being active choices.  

On previous form, had anyone told me Bachmann were planning to produce either a L&YR or a SE&CR 0-6-0, I would have assumed they would pick the most northerly prototype to model. 

John.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Was there ever a golden age to railways? Would you have liked to work very long hours for little pay and poor working conditions, pre-grouping is the one for you. Not much better during the Big Four days, plus the depression and the war. Early days of Nationalisation, not very good, then the modernisation and the good Doctor. Were railways better during the sectorisation period or was BR just waiting for privatisation. 

We all have our own favorite period we like to model so go on Hornby a Swindon 3 car cross country unit in green with small yella ends just for Clive as it is his golden age.

I'll say one thing about the sectorisation period - I got myself promoted and horror of horrors I then took issue with the salary I was told I would receive after that promotion so they offered me a bit more and again I made my views plain so they offered me a bit more again.  Somehow I think doing that in previous years would have seen me in a distinctly lead balloon situation.  In many respects the initial sectorised period was quite exciting from a managerial viewpoint although perhaps I was lucky in working for directorate which encouraged us to get one with things on our own initiative (and having an immediate boss 200 miles away) - alas it was all demolished in the following reorganisation to set things up for privatisation.

And I agree fully with your final sentence - spot on (although I think we'll be disappointed alas).

• Like 1

TBH, there's no obvious reason for any manufacturer to pick any pre-grouping 0-6-0 over any other, unless a theme is being followed...

The famed 'joined up thinking'. It has happened with the LMS 0-6-0s to supplement the core of Stanier's LMS designs. Where's that J6 to go with the massive model fleet of Doncaster pacifics that spent so much of their time pounding along the GN section of the ECML? That to my mind is the blindingly obvious missing 0-6-0 loco, but the shots at a Southern area LNER 0-6-0 first hit the J11, then the J15 (welcome models both of them, don't get me wrong). Clearly we aren't getting a J6 RTR so I have cobbled together my own.

• RMweb Gold

The Maestro wasn't powerful enough to drag that many rivets about.

IIRC the original quote was of half a million rivets and related to the Avro Shackleton.

John

I agree! But, we made Austin Maestros, and Montegos. Specifically, the wheels which ended up on said cars. It would be interesting how many are left on the road. 

TBH, there's no obvious reason for any manufacturer to pick any pre-grouping 0-6-0 over any other, unless a theme is being followed, e.g. Hornby picking the Black Motor was somewhat to be expected due to previous coverage of locos from the western division of the SR and BR(s).

Before the C Class, Bachmann had very little of a track record for anything Southern. Two locos, four coaches and a bogie brake van; mostly begun elsewhere and acquired following business failures rather than being active choices.  

On previous form, had anyone told me Bachmann were planning to produce either a L&YR or a SE&CR 0-6-0, I would have assumed they would pick the most northerly prototype to model. 

John.

They already had the N 2-6-0 and have since released the Birdcage stock so I think it was all part of a plan.

D class next? Which could also morph into D1/E1/L1/etc.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

They already had the N 2-6-0 and have since released the Birdcage stock so I think it was all part of a plan.

D class next? Which could also morph into D1/E1/L1/etc.

Jason

It must have been a very long-term plan, there was the best part of two decades between the N and Bachmann's next new Southern loco. Rather more than that between the Bulleids and the Birdcages with no other (loco-hauled) Southern coaches in between.

I'll come back for another look in about 2032 if I'm still around. :jester:

In the meantime, I confidently predict that Hornby and Kernow will continue to absorb most of my r-t-r expenditure in 2018.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Getting confusing, 'innit? :jester:

Never mind, all will become clear next week.

John

Wanna bet - the only things which won't be confusing are 'it's not in the right livery', (or its A suffix variant 'it's in the wrong livery'); 'how many do they expect to sell at that price?' (probably with A, B, C and even D variants); 'do they really understand the market?' (A suffix variant also available 'they just don't understand what I people want'); 'don't they realise everybody is now modelling the Maryport & Carlisle and cater for me us' (to many suffixes to list as you can include every Pre-Group company according to taste or inclination); 'why haven't they done any new diesels?' (A suffix variant = DMUs, B suffix variant = EMUs); and so on.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wanna bet - the only things which won't be confusing are 'it's not in the right livery', (or its A suffix variant 'it's in the wrong livery'); 'how many do they expect to sell at that price?' (probably with A, B, C and even D variants); 'do they really understand the market?' (A suffix variant also available 'they just don't understand what I people want'); 'don't they realise everybody is now modelling the Maryport & Carlisle and cater for me us' (to many suffixes to list as you can include every Pre-Group company according to taste or inclination); 'why haven't they done any new diesels?' (A suffix variant = DMUs, B suffix variant = EMUs); and so on.  

None of which do I give a flying whatsit about. 

If they make something I want, they usually get it right enough to satisfy me or close enough that I can fix it. If they don't make it, I don't buy it. Simple.

I've enough stuff in the cupboard to stock any layout(s) I have room for several times over already, I don't actually need to buy anything.

I expect products made for other prototypes and eras to be bought by people who are interested in them. If they don't that's their own look-out.

I long ago concluded that many of the gripers expect perfect models of something only a dozen people have heard of (for twenty quid) and many more are just looking for excuses not to spend money. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought the only flaw was in expecting box openers to build things...... :onthequiet:

As a young one on here, i’ll Take the bet and double it...

post-20773-0-46486900-1514910144_thumb.jpeg

A class and an Aspinall 0-6-0ST (I have a second Aspinall 0-6-0ST somewhetre too),and no I didn’t buy them that way, researched and and built (or finished building in one case) then painted them, from Mike Morants site, there’s a lovely picture of 52515, leaving the loop at Bradley Fold on its way to Horwich LE for scrapping, I was born yards from that loop, but years after the line closed. 52515 isn’t strictly correct for this version, but beggars can’t be choosers when it comes to finding a kit that was stopped being made before I was. 11305 is correct as it was at Horwich, BR late crest, but LMS number carried, but in BR font, not sure the reason, but it looks to have been works pet.

Both hand painted, using precision paints and numbered using Pressfix no14.. BR transfers..the sheet that is eternally unavailable, I was lucky enough to find 6 of them from my childhood days unused and good as new, about 6 months back. Smoke box doors are just plain card, coloured by black marker, and used Replica Railways Coach numbers, cut to size, 42055 uses maroon paint (as again Mike Morants site shows several like this).. I love that site for inspiration.

I’m milling the idea of making a second but from a 3D kit offered on Shapeways, that fits a C class chassis.

Not as good as yours Larry, but it’s not my career and i’m OK with the result, even its only plain black.. its made by a young’un who also opens boxes and mostly “plays trains” than model scenery.

More A classes anyone ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

11305 is correct as it was at Horwich, BR late crest, but LMS number carried, but in BR font, not sure the reason, but it looks to have been works pet.

More A classes anyone ?

11305 was a Departmental Loco at nationalisation and since it hardly ever left Horwich loco works, I don't suppose there was any point in renumbering it.

More A classes ? - Yes please!

Well done  adb968008.  It is always great to see modelling posts.  When you said the 'A' Class isn't quite right for 52515, wasn't that the one at Hebden Bridge with extended sandboxes? There was a whitemetal kit for the L&YR 2F Saddletank but I can't bring the manufacturer to mind. I cabbed one in Moses Gate yard and there wasn't much foot room with coal filling every corner of the cab.

• RMweb Gold

Well done  adb968008.  It is always great to see modelling posts.  When you said the 'A' Class isn't quite right for 52515, wasn't that the one at Hebden Bridge with extended sandboxes? There was a whitemetal kit for the L&YR 2F Saddletank but I can't bring the manufacturer to mind. I cabbed one in Moses Gate yard and there wasn't much foot room with coal filling every corner of the cab.

I'm fairly sure that it started life as a Cotswold kit, they were rather good at coming up with ideas and pretty good quality kits for the sort of things everybody else ignored and they were good quality castings.  Only problem is if an unbuilt one comes up nowadays you'll probably find yourself paying big money for it.

I'm fairly sure that it started life as a Cotswold kit, they were rather good at coming up with ideas and pretty good quality kits for the sort of things everybody else ignored and they were good quality castings.  Only problem is if an unbuilt one comes up nowadays you'll probably find yourself paying big money for it.

Thanks, I remember now.  Ron Charlton at Cotsword (later Sutherland Model Casters) was a friend from way back when I painted many a kit manufacturers display models for their box lids. Then the kits went to Bill Stott at NuCast. The Lanky 2F saddletank is not one I would expect to see in plastic RTR form, but a 3F 0-6-0 & Tender is something else. They were almost a standard LMS class and so were not confined to L&Y territory.

• Like 1