Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

7 hours ago, sjrixon said:

Decorated samples news finally hit Dapol site - https://www.Dapol.co.uk/blogs/news/oo-gauge-43xx-mogul-decorated-samples

Interesting that they list the sound fitted versions, most of the big box shifters don't have the sound ones listed. I guess that shows how long ago these were announced! 

Looking at the samples I’m pleased to see that they have re-designed the slidebars and have removed the flared ends which had been a major bone of contention when the earlier model was released.  I think I’ve also read that this model has the revised higher gear ratio which delivers better control at low speed (especially on analogue layouts), and a more prototypical top speed.  The earlier model was good but with these improvements the new model has the potential to be very good.

Frank 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

The earlier model was good

IMHO the earlier model was a disappointment.

The gear ratio and flared slide bars were unnecessary and should never have been produced. The firebox glow was a disaster.

It was just sloppy design.

2 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

I think I’ve also read that this model has the revised higher gear ratio which delivers better control at low speed (especially on analogue layouts), and a more prototypical top speed.  The earlier model was good but with these improvements the new model has the potential to be very good.

Frank 

It is a shame that the tender does not seem to have had the same consideration. The springs are still the larger C1924 design and the water filler for a pre Great war loco would have been a different to the dome and separate filler.

Craig W

2 minutes ago, Henry 84F said:

I am tempted by a BR lined black version...

I wonder if the revised slide bars will be available as spares and, if so, how easy they might be to transplant onto an earlier release with the flared arrangement.

No one can be sure without someone trying it and reporting back, but the earlier slide bars are a single casting with the piston rod gland and is a friction fit into the plastic cylinder end plate.  I would expect the new and old castings are interchangeable.  
Frank

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It would have been nice to see the post war GWR liveried version in the samples.

Would have been nice indeed! I think this is the first GWR RTR model with lined wheel centers? Not like these samples have been shown off by others a month ago, but I degress. 

Others may recall from the first release of these, the samples shown off were different than what released, more specifically the inside/outside steam pipes.

Edited by Ribird
Missed a word

5 hours ago, Ribird said:

Would have been nice indeed! I think this is the first RTR model with lined wheel centers? Not like these samples have been shown off by others a month ago, but I degress. 

Others may recall from the first release of these, the samples shown off were different than what released, more specifically the inside/outside steam pipes.

I think any of the SECR locos available and locos like Bachmann Great Central Railway or Caley 828 have lined wheel centres. The SECR livery even has liked spokes!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I think any of the SECR locos available and locos like Bachmann Great Central Railway or Caley 828 have lined wheel centres. The SECR livery even has liked spokes!

Add the LNER C1 Ivatt Atlantic

• RMweb Gold
On 15/06/2023 at 18:33, gwrrob said:

It would have been nice to see the post war GWR liveried version in the samples.

And the '30s Shirtbutton.

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping to get the ROD liveried version of the 4300 and have not seen the livery samples in the flesh.

Don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but looking at the recent pictures of this model, the livery looks rather anaemic, more like desert yellow than Khaki. 

I took a picture of the loco at Didcot some years ago which I cannot currently access, but from memory, I am sure that it was darker than than the model.

Ray

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I was hoping to get the ROD liveried version of the 4300 and have not seen the livery samples in the flesh.

Don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but looking at the recent pictures of this model, the livery looks rather anaemic, more like desert yellow than Khaki. 

I took a picture of the loco at Didcot some years ago which I cannot currently access, but from memory, I am sure that it was darker than than the model.

Ray

As i stated when I uploaded a picture of it, Dapol are aware.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

2 minutes ago, Ribird said:

As Miss Prim has said, roof profiles are different. But is still just the 5101/6100 class? 

Other are probably a bit more knowledgeable with on Prairie variants but there are a couple of 31xx and 81xx mixed in. They have smaller driving wheels right?????

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Other are probably a bit more knowledgeable with on Prairie variants but there are a couple of 31xx and 81xx mixed in. They have smaller driving wheels right?????

Afaik, Dapol is not planning any of the 5'6"/5'3" driver locos. (Which were few in number compared to the mainstream 5'8" locos.)

You've probably seen this before, but it's done your head in

• Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Afaik, Dapol is not planning any of the 5'6"/5'3" driver locos. (Which were few in number compared to the mainstream 5'8" locos.)

You've probably seen this before, but it's done your head in

As far as their announcement goes, they are tooling the 5’6” wheeled 8100

class, built from the frames of withdrawn 5100 locomotives in 1938-39.

• Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thanks Robin. Will this iteration correct the design defect in the bunker axle spring that caused loss of contact resulting in erratic running over point work I wonder ?

According to Hatton’s site this model will have upgraded tooling with modifications to the rear pony truck.  So hopefully this will sort out the problem associated with the previous release of the large prairie.  
Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1