OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi has any one replaced the front pony wheels and the tender wheels on the mogul at all? If so, can you please recommend wheels for this, that have blacked wheel treads and look a bit finer than those supplied on the model?

thanks in advance. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Adrock said:

Hi has any one replaced the front pony wheels and the tender wheels on the mogul at all? If so, can you please recommend wheels for this, that have blacked wheel treads and look a bit finer than those supplied on the model?

thanks in advance. 

I haven't but I always use Gibson wheels for these purposes  - available from Wizard models. You'll need to paint the tyre yourself, personally I use a black marker. Also you'll need a means of setting the back to back (finer treads mean they'll need to be set wider than rtr back to back for 00) - suitable gauges available from various sources, mine are from DCC Concepts. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I haven't but I always use Gibson wheels for these purposes  - available from Wizard models.

I always buy Alan Gibson wheels from Alan Gibson.🙂

I wonder why the loco wheels aren't blackened? Wagon & coach wheels are.

• Agree 3

Thanks all. Yes I’ll have a look at Alan Gibson ones, although ideally I was looking to understand if there were any with black tyres so that they would match the driving wheels. But I guess there aren’t so I’ll have to paint them. 

thanks 

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was going to ask, when we might see the 43xx, it's been a while.. A long while.. You also can't appear to pre-order a sound version, and I'm sure there will be one..

So maybe that's it there!

• RMweb Gold

About time, I've been waiting on these, nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Still can't see anything on Dapol's site about which liveries they will be doing though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hatton's also had a sneak preview of the decorated samples of some of the new batch. Still undecided whether to get another. They are saying between June and September.

The Dapol model covers 4321-5383 if renumbering.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/article?id=1034

Edited by gwrrob
detail.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 29/05/2023 at 15:57, Pendennis said:

What's the digital sound like on these?  Presumably they'll use the same file and configuration as on the earlier batches.

Very nice I'd go as far to say one of the best factory fitted locos I've got. Currently I have two sound fitted plus another waiting to be done.

Cheers 

Pete 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2022 at 11:19, coeurdelyon said:

Hi,

The gear ratio has been changed to 30:1 which was first released on the 2-6-2 Prairie, and as the Mogul and Manor utilise the same driving unit, these now have the later gear ratio of 30:1

Thanks and Regards,

Richard

Thanks Richard for this much earlier reply .

I’ve recently bought a Dapol Manor and wondered if anyone has swoped  the rear drivers and associated gear wheels from a Manor to the mogul ? This would give the 30 to 1 gearing I would prefer to the mogul .

I see from the great booklet that  came with the Manor that spare rear drivers with gear wheels and , a two stage gear set might be available from DCC components . I wonder whether it would be necessary to obtain a Manor electric motor as well in case the worm has changed ?

I would be prepared to lash out on components and sacrifice some top speed for lower and mid range  .

Im prepared to tinker as eventually I will convert the mogul and Manor to EM gauge .

Thanks in advance 

Ken 

• Like 1

On 11/06/2023 at 18:24, 1466 said:

I see from the great booklet that  came with the Manor that spare rear drivers with gear wheels and , a two stage gear set might be available from DCC components . I wonder whether it would be necessary to obtain a Manor electric motor as well in case the worm has changed ?

If there is a straightforward conversion hopefully someone will post it on here before long. But i have found the availability of Dapol spares a bit hit and miss - starts off with stocks of everything but gaps start to appear quickly. 

23 hours ago, Pteremy said:

If there is a straightforward conversion hopefully someone will post it on here before long. But i have found the availability of Dapol spares a bit hit and miss - starts off with stocks of everything but gaps start to appear quickly. 

Hi Pteremy

i looked at DCC and Peter spares last night and, as you predicted, couldn’t see the Manor spares I wanted .

So my  project will go on the back burner for a while .

Ken