RMweb

OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And to further add to this week’s gloom. The Warley Show is no more.

Always the show where manufacturers would talk to me about their forthcoming goodies.😉

Edited by gwrrob
spilling
  • Like 1

On 11/01/2024 at 09:12, phil gollin said:

Any news of when when the next batch of 43xx Moguls will be ready ?

Thanks in advance.

February /  March according to Rails in their latest email.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Due soon according to their news page.

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/new-Dapol-due-soon

I saw that yesterday as well Robin, if you then click onto the Rails website, they are still showing CAD drawings for some locos.

The incoming locos, are they from batch 1, or the new revised tooling?

Either way, it must mean a Dapol container is close, which may (or may not) have the Mainline and City carriages on board 😎

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

The incoming locos, are they from batch 1, or the new revised tooling?

It's probably misleading to describe them either as batch 1 or revised new tooling. To me, these are variations in the toolset as originally planned by Dapol. (Although it looks like the slidebars have been improved, as promised, which is very welcome.)

4321 represents the earliest prototype state (actually not quite, the short cab/short frame 4301-20 were never intended to be covered by Dapol).

I feel Dapol has probably gone as far as it reasonably could without busting the tooling bank, and there are lots of excellent things about 4321 that make it good for the early period - portholes in the cab front, longitudinal vacuum cylinder on the tender, flush-riveted tender body, early pony truck cover, flush-riveted smokebox, small boss wheels, parallel chimney, tall vacuum pipe. What is not included in the Dapol tooling for the very early locos are:

- a wooden roof for the cab (steel cab roofs started to appear c 1919 - the first loco so built is cited iirc somewhere on one of the RMweb Mogul threads);

- an early style of lubricator pipe cover and/or smokebox damper;

- light tender springs;

- early brake hangars (on both loco and tender).

Painting-wise, it should have polished splasher beading for the very early state (disappeared mostly during WWI I think), and I'm fairly certain wheelboss lining was not being applied to service paints by that stage (1911). Dapol probably got the notion from the works grey portraits of 4302 and 4331. My view is that wheel boss lining on service paints probably disappeared c 1906-7, but I could be wrong. It's one of those 'transitional' painting phases.

The cab/tender handrails are too gaudy in my view.

Overall though, Dapol has pushed the boat out for such an early style, and commendably so. It looks a cracker.

dapol-mogul-4321.png.6a97b513291a92d32627068b2fbebc9d.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

Is there any information about the gearing?  The first release had a ratio of approximately 18:1 which gave them a ridiculous top speed and at low speeds whilst smooth some  were reportedly a bit twitchy  to control.  Hopefully they have changed the ratio to make low speed control easier and a more prototypical top speed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

It's probably just me but, whenever I see an image of a Dapol Mogul, I think of a camel!

Was the boiler/ firebox angle really this accute.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

It's probably misleading to describe them either as batch 1 or revised new tooling. To me, these are variations in the toolset as originally planned by Dapol. (Although it looks like the slidebars have been improved, as promised, which is very welcome.)

4321 represents the earliest prototype state (actually not quite, the short cab/short frame 4301-20 were never intended to be covered by Dapol).

I feel Dapol has probably gone as far as it reasonably could without busting the tooling bank, and there are lots of excellent things about 4321 that make it good for the early period - portholes in the cab front, longitudinal vacuum cylinder on the tender, flush-riveted tender body, early pony truck cover, flush-riveted smokebox, small boss wheels, parallel chimney, tall vacuum pipe. What is not included in the Dapol tooling for the very early locos are:

- a wooden roof for the cab (steel cab roofs started to appear c 1919 - the first loco so built is cited iirc somewhere on one of the RMweb Mogul threads);

- light tender springs;

Painting-wise, it should have polished splasher beading for the very early state (disappeared mostly during WWI I think), and I'm fairly certain wheelboss lining was not being applied to service paints by that stage (1911). Dapol probably got the notion from the works grey portraits of 4302 and 4331. My view is that wheel boss lining on service paints probably disappeared c 1906-7, but I could be wrong. It's one of those 'transitional' painting phases.

Overall though, Dapol has pushed the boat out for such an early style, and commendably so. It looks a cracker.

Thanks very much Miss Prism, it certainly looks a lovely loco.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

- light tender springs;

Thank you, the pre-WW1 features are useful. I would want to address some of them (whether on this one or on my trusty old Bachmann version, which for all its issues runs like silk and has personality).

Looking at these Swindon shots of 4301 and 4302, which presumably have the wooden rooves, I'm wondering whether the rooves are notably different from the model in visual terms.

P1030299.JPG.37ed10b13e104ca9025666114fad3f11.JPG

P1030297.JPG.093423b4491e12e58ef60ba621636b08.JPG

Edited by Mikkel
To clarify
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Looking at these Swindon shots of 4301 and 4302, which presumably have the wooden rooves, I'm wondering whether the rooves are notably different from the model in visual terms.

The wooden roof is canvas covered and the capping strips are thin (like the ones on goods vans). I assume they were painted black. The later metal roof has side strips. There's a definite difference in appearance in my opinion, but many people won't be bothered.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/drawings/loco/loco185.jpg

(I can't comment about how accurate this weight diagram is, but it's probably close.)

Thank you; from that diagram and the subsequently posted photos, I'd say that the backward rake of the firebox top is a little excessive on the model.

CJI.

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Thank you; from that diagram and the subsequently posted photos, I'd say that the backward rake of the firebox top is a little excessive on the model.

Much discussed in both (Dapol and Accurascale) Manor threads.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Much discussed in both (Dapol and Accurascale) Manor threads.

Which discussion had me scurrying to take a good look again at mine from the first batch. Yes,there IS certainly a slope which when viewed in plain sight doesn’t seem to be vexing. But viewed here on camera on this thread it does tend to be,as it were,in your face. Just my observation,that’s all.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Kernow have advised of these in stock today and although images of all of them aren't available yet here's some more of 4321,4358 and 5322. Hopefully Chris Nevard will photograph them all next week.

4S-043-009.jpg.8a773539cb5c4483f47fd086b5616239.jpg

4S-043-008.jpg.b0c15a859d02e765e02844c7ead49811.jpg

4S-043-015.jpg.a49fc558022d2ff704127b9e2548463e.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Kernow have advised of these in stock today and although images of all of them aren't available yet here's some more of 4321,4358 and 5322. Hopefully Chris Nevard will photograph them all next week.

4S-043-009.jpg.8a773539cb5c4483f47fd086b5616239.jpg

4S-043-008.jpg.b0c15a859d02e765e02844c7ead49811.jpg

4S-043-015.jpg.a49fc558022d2ff704127b9e2548463e.jpg

I saw these this morning (our time) and comparing the side view with the weight diagram posted by @Miss Prism I don't think they look too bad.

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Is there any information about the gearing?  The first release had a ratio of approximately 18:1 which gave them a ridiculous top speed and at low speeds whilst smooth some  were reportedly a bit twitchy  to control.  Hopefully they have changed the ratio to make low speed control easier and a more prototypical top speed.

30:1 according Rails product informatio, so improved

• Thanks 2