Next18 Decoders - Should I Be Buying Them?

Sir TophamHatt

What's the difference between a Next18 decoder and a Lenz Silver+ v2 for example?

I guess it's the number of functions?  So a Lenz Silver+ can cope with x amount of functions/sounds/lights but an 18 or 21 can cope with more?

I was reading in a copy of Model Rail that led me to Hattons (?) who were suggesting Bachmann are starting to look at Next18 as their default decoders now.

Plus, I've ordered the J72, which comes with a "Next18 socket" - does this mean the Lenz Silver+ v2 or Zimo MX decoders I have already won't fit?

On a side note, Hattons also suggested the new Next18 decoders are slightly smaller than many on the market as the pins "don't stick out" - I am looking for a couple of small decoders, hence buying the Zimo MX versions as I have a couple of locos (Thomas' Emily for example) where there's next to no space for a decoder to be hardwired in.

What's the difference between a Next18 decoder and a Lenz Silver+ v2 for example?

NeXT is a decoder socket design. Its one of several sockets around. It comes in two forms (just to confuse the hell out of modellers), Next18 and Next18S. The "S" means "sound" and has some of the pins used for speakers. The non-S version has extra functions.

I guess it's the number of functions?  So a Lenz Silver+ can cope with x amount of functions/sounds/lights but an 18 or 21 can cope with more?

Its existence is driven, in part, by number of functions. When compared to a previous 6-pin "N gauge" decoder (two lighting functions), the eight pin connector (three lighting functions).

I was reading in a copy of Model Rail that led me to Hattons (?) who were suggesting Bachmann are starting to look at Next18 as their default decoders now.

Possibly for N-gauge, where Next18 (and 18S) were intended to be used. I'd hope they'd go for Plux for OO and larger. But, the UK model suppliers have a glorious history of adopting incorrect, confusing and obsolete decoder sockets.

Plus, I've ordered the J72, which comes with a "Next18 socket" - does this mean the Lenz Silver+ v2 or Zimo MX decoders I have already won't fit?

Unless your decoders have a Next plug, then they don't fit without lots of re-wiring.

• RMweb Gold

'Next18' describes the plug/socket arrangement, in the same way as '6-pin', '8-pin' and '21-pin'.

In simple terms you need the same pin pattern on the decoder as on the locomotive's socket. So for 'Next18' fitted loco you buy a 'Next18' decoder, an '8-pin' fitted loco and '8-pin' decoder, and so on.

• RMweb Premium

On a side note, Hattons also suggested the new Next18 decoders are slightly smaller than many on the market as the pins "don't stick out" - I am looking for a couple of small decoders, hence buying the Zimo MX versions as I have a couple of locos (Thomas' Emily for example) where there's next to no space for a decoder to be hardwired in.

Possibly for N-gauge, where Next18 (and 18S) were intended to be used. I'd hope they'd go for Plux for OO and larger. But, the UK model suppliers have a glorious history of adopting incorrect, confusing and obsolete decoder sockets.

Unfortunately not, they have started fitting them in OO models! (including some which already have something else so two versions of a current chassis are now available!)

I would rather have a non-dismantle method of decoder fitting e.g. in an under chassis module on modern traction or under the coal load in a steam loco rather than this proliferation of decoders currently in use.

The nearest we have had is the Hattons DJM 48XX with a 6 pin in the smoke box, accessed by opening the door.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I would rather have a non-dismantle method of decoder fitting e.g. in an under chassis module on modern traction or under the coal load in a steam loco rather than this proliferation of decoders currently in use.

The nearest we have had is the Hattons DJM 48XX with a 6 pin in the smoke box, accessed by opening the door.

The Kernow 0298 has that as well. Two of my Next 18 installations have been on Tillig HOm 2-10-2s - lift off the cab, remove a baffle and there is the socket. Pretty simple really.

• RMweb Premium

Keith

Or the Bachmann 350/450 Desiro.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for the explanations everyone :)

Will wait until the J70 model is finished before buying a decoder.  Luckily I have about 5/6 trains still to fit decoders, but have less than that in the 8-pin ones that I'll have to hardwire anyway.

I guess I just have to look at the train and decide if it has lights or other functions.  Many of mine don't have any other functions apart from forward and back so I should be okay to use up the Lenz and Zimo's I have.

Thanks all :)

I  have  been  a  Next 18 user for  some  time  now  many  Continental locos  use  them,  they  are  very good  easy to install  and  do  what  they  are  intended to do!

I have  recently  transferred  a  Next18S (sound decoder)  from  a  Bachmann class 40  to  another  Bachman  class 40 ( why you may  ask?  from  a  blue  to a  green one, the  chassis are cosmetically different)  the  whole job took less than 10 mins.

Looking  a  Dapols latest  announcements  (2 WR  Steam Locos) it appears  they will use  Next  18 decoders  and  the installation appears  very easy, it  seems  that  manufacturers are fast  approaching  the  plug &  play  concept. 

The  IOM retailer  has  next 18  at  a  good  price

Well, the 21 pin is more 'plug and perforate fingers, play with elastoplast', 'unplug and bend pins, play about straightening them', in style I suppose?

What Next 18 offers is neatness. This one looks a decent candidate for positioning at the end of a slot into which the decoder is pushed. Potentially none of the 'take the body off' fiddle to get access to the decoder socket, a development which is by now a little overdue?

• RMweb Premium

Well, the 21 pin is more 'plug and perforate fingers, play with elastoplast', 'unplug and bend pins, play about straightening them', in style I suppose?

What Next 18 offers is neatness. This one looks a decent candidate for positioning at the end of a slot into which the decoder is pushed. Potentially none of the 'take the body off' fiddle to get access to the decoder socket, a development which is by now a little overdue?

Never had a problem with 21 pin and I am Mr Banana Fingers :jester:

IMHO A better bet would be something more akin to a Micro SD where it can be pushed into a slot or a Sim type card where a cover Is lifted, decoder placed in carrier and cover closed.

The NeXt 18 still needs to be inserted onto the socket from above like most of the others.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Never had a problem with 21 pin and I am Mr Banana Fingers :jester:

IMHO A better bet would be something more akin to a Micro SD where it can be pushed into a slot or a Sim type card where a cover Is lifted, decoder placed in carrier and cover closed.

The NeXt 18 still needs to be inserted onto the socket from above like most of the others.

Keith

As with everything, some installations are easier than others. I found on Rail87 X5500/5800 Mobylette railcars that the lighting etc pcb was installed above the seats, and had to have several screws removed to be liberated, because the 21-pin decoder needed to be underneath, and installation was otherwise impossible.

I still find too many DCC sockets of all configurations which have been designed-in as an afterthought, making the term DCC-ready a bit of a stretch. Next 18 is small and neat and has contacts rather than pins. And the Zimo non-sound decoders I bought were not much more than half the cost of TCS direct 8-pin decoders, which are at least twice as bulky, from the same dealer.

Yes, in the early days we all happily butchered wiring and used the soldering iron, but some current loco designs really could do better.

Has the DCC controller.decoder ever been conceived from a driver's/engineer's perspective?

A driver of a diesel leaving a station, for example, would I imagine be controlling speed and not all the individual events or 'functions' that make it happen, whistle and bell being the exception.

Might one imagine a decoder/controller that has organized the  myriad of functions in such a way as to truly mimic the driver's operation in the cab? I do see a wee bit of this automata now and so the technology is available for "the compleat engineer" experience! :no:

• RMweb Premium

Has the DCC controller.decoder ever been conceived from a driver's/engineer's perspective?

A driver of a diesel leaving a station, for example, would I imagine be controlling speed and not all the individual events or 'functions' that make it happen, whistle and bell being the exception.

Might one imagine a decoder/controller that has organized the  myriad of functions in such a way as to truly mimic the driver's operation in the cab? I do see a wee bit of this automata now and so the technology is available for "the compleat engineer" experience! :no:

If you are using model railway software you can get the program to control the succesive sounds emanating from a loco as it accelerates, coasts, brakes etc.

This is very much, way off topic.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if you mean a sort of recreation, or partial semblance of the drivers cab, then yes that has been attempted in various ways.

In the simplest form, just speed dials...

title_DS_ECoS_01.jpg

A bit more sophisticated, touch screen control with a working graphic of the cab or footplate, complete with working virtual controls (and video, if a loco mounted camera is included)......

iPad1_lightbox.jpg

Z21_Content_Fuehrerstaende_TaurusInfo_mi

z21-br52-drivers-cab-pics-%5B2%5D-35267-

Quite a bit older and using physical control levers.....

Digitrax%20Zephyr%20Xtra.jpg

Picture-all-from-phone-103.jpg

A software train simulator control desk, adapted to work with a Zimo DCC system.....

DSCF3639.JPG

This guy has gone the whole hog and linked his DCC system and on-board video to a homemade cab simulator.....

THUMB.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

Why are NeXt 18 plug & play when e.g. 21MTC aren't?

Cheers

Keith

No lining  up  pins  simply  push  the  next  18 into  the corresponding  receptacle,  also  worth  checking  out  Dapol's  latest  announcements for  their  2 GWR locos  bringing  true  plug  & play  closer.

• RMweb Premium

No lining  up  pins  simply  push  the  next  18 into  the corresponding  receptacle,  also  worth  checking  out  Dapol's  latest  announcements for  their  2 GWR locos  bringing  true  plug  & play  closer.

Plug & Play means works straight out of the box no faffing around.

As one needs to set speed, acceleration, DCC address etc.etc. IMHO it's not (and never will be) plug & play. :no:

The slide in carrier could apply to any DCC decoder so NeXt 18 doesn't come into it.

Keith