Model Rail 244 February 2018.

dibber25

News from Hornby and Dapol

Reviews:

RevolutioN's Pendolino
Minerva’s Iron Mink
Bachmann Narrow Gauge’s WDLR wagons
Oxford Rail’s 'Dean Goods' (revised model)
Irish Railway Models’ CIE cement bubbles

Workbench:
Improving buildings
Add relief to card kits
Buildings in ‘O’
Buildings to suit odd spaces
Interiors for industry
Load up a Wickham

Layout:
Chilcompton ‘OO’ gauge Somerset and Dorset

post-1062-0-40881700-1515667781_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi

When's publication date?

It used to be shown on the last page before the cover but I've noticed in the January issue this isn't the case

On sale 18th Jan according to the Jan issue info. The page about the 'next issue' has migrated inside to page 108.

G.

Bought a copy today, mainly for the buildings & structure articles.

I would like to applaud the inclusion of the non-UK features that are in the mag. It's good to look outside this island and appreciate that there is a world out there. No doubt you'll get complaints from the Little Englanders but the mag is called ModelRail, not UK ModelRail...

Still don't like the paper though.

steve

• Like 2

News from Hornby and Dapol

Reviews:

RevolutioN's Pendolino

Minerva’s Iron Mink

Bachmann Narrow Gauge’s WDLR wagons

Oxford Rail’s 'Dean Goods' (revised model)

Irish Railway Models’ CIE cement bubbles

Workbench:

Improving buildings

Add relief to card kits

Buildings in ‘O’

Buildings to suit odd spaces

Interiors for industry

Load up a Wickham

Layout:

Chilcompton ‘OO’ gauge Somerset and Dorset

Hi Chris, just wondering when your insightful critique of Hornby's new Wainwright H-Class will appear in MR.  I haven't seen it so-far, but really value your assessment of new models (particularly Southern locos), and always look forward to reading them.  Any chance of maybe doing a Masterclass on them to (that is if the masterclass series hasn't had the final axe in recent revisions),  Cheers, Steve

I shall have to get a copy as it has an article on Maentwrog Road which is the latest exhibition layout I am building.

On receiving my subs copy I opened it, saw this article and immediately thought of your layout.

• Like 1

Hi Chris, just wondering when your insightful critique of Hornby's new Wainwright H-Class will appear in MR.  I haven't seen it so-far, but really value your assessment of new models (particularly Southern locos), and always look forward to reading them.  Any chance of maybe doing a Masterclass on them to (that is if the masterclass series hasn't had the final axe in recent revisions),  Cheers, Steve

Sorry, I've never got my hands on the 'H' class. Hornby no longer supplies review samples to magazines, and my interests lie more towards the SW section so I never bought an 'H'. (CJL)

I shall have to get a copy as it has an article on Maentwrog Road which is the latest exhibition layout I am building. 

You mean you haven't even been sent a complimentary copy? Or has that practice and courtesy gone the same way as many others???

You mean you haven't even been sent a complimentary copy? Or has that practice and courtesy gone the same way as many others???

We send out complimentary copies from the office. Unfortunately our office copies don't always arrive when they should. Because the magazine was held back this time to ensure compliance with the Hornby embargo, our office copies were not received until late in the week. They will probably go out on Monday if they are not already on their way. (CJL)

This is the second time over past year that subscription/complimentary copies of magazines have been delayed due to news embargos/ announcements.

I can understand the reason for the news embargo, but now that magazines tend to have a standard publication day, ie a Thursday, then maybe news anouncements should move fmon a Monday,  to the previous Friday. I amsure someone in marketing will say Monday is best for them, but a Friday announcement would fit in better with magazine publication day. Not everyone in the hobby models the scal/gauge of models being announced, so might not be so appreciative about their monthly(or 4 weekly) read being delayed. 

Just an idea, not a grumble.

I think there might be a bit of a slight misunderstanding.

The article in question is by one of the staff writers, not a contributor. It's the Masterplan on the Conway Valley/Trawsfynydd Line by Paul Dunn.

Correct, the article is nothing to do with me I just have a layout of Maentwrog Road.

The goods shed still survives, I have a replica of it but as for being 'the headquarters of a preservation society', they had a licence from Network Rail for litter picking and light pruning. The licence was revoked the end of last year.

This is the second time over past year that subscription/complimentary copies of magazines have been delayed due to news embargos/ announcements.

I can understand the reason for the news embargo, but now that magazines tend to have a standard publication day, ie a Thursday, then maybe news anouncements should move fmon a Monday,  to the previous Friday. I amsure someone in marketing will say Monday is best for them, but a Friday announcement would fit in better with magazine publication day. Not everyone in the hobby models the scal/gauge of models being announced, so might not be so appreciative about their monthly(or 4 weekly) read being delayed. 

Just an idea, not a grumble.

We have a standard publication day and it wasn't changed. Our office copies didn't reach us until January 17, however. Over the Christmas period Model Rail sometimes gets printed and distributed early because printers want to get ahead for the Christmas break. On one occasion, some years ago, the magazine actually made it into distribution early and broke an embargo on the Hornby news. It was a complete accident but in order to ensure that it didn't happen again, we asked for the magazine not to be printed early this time. As a result it was printed post-Christmas and, though readers received their copies on time, our office did not. We got them a few days later than usual. It wasn't a big deal, and no one outside the magazine staff will have noticed any difference. All the magazines have different schedules and news announcements, whenever they take place, will always fall better for some than others. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

Chris, I understand all you say. I don't think anything needs to be changed with magazines.

I think I am right that Thursday is now the usual day for most if not all model railway magazines in UK. It would make no difference which Thursday , but by switching announcements to a Friday,this  would not affect Thursday publication day, giving time to get both subscription and complimentary copies on time. Magazines work to very tight schedules(even tighter for those on a 4 week cycle). Companies such as Hornby(and Hattons), work on a longer timescale, and could easily move their announcements from the Monday, back to the Friday.

Looking at current magazine, one photo was of big interest to me, and that was the inspection trolley at Coldstream station. I had seen quite a few different versions of the common Wickham trolley, some with longitudinal seating, but none with the angled ends. just wondering if anyone has more info on this example. Also, it has odd wheels, one different to the other, so would make for a more interesting model.

We have a standard publication day and it wasn't changed.

Yep, my subscription copy arrived the day I assumed it would from the date published in the previous issue. It certainly wasn't late.

I'm not sure where this grumbling idea that it was delayed for second time in a year has come from.

G

• Like 1

Bought a copy today, mainly for the buildings & structure articles.

I would like to applaud the inclusion of the non-UK features that are in the mag. It's good to look outside this island and appreciate that there is a world out there. No doubt you'll get complaints from the Little Englanders but the mag is called ModelRail, not UK ModelRail...

Still don't like the paper though.

steve

I have no interest in non-uk features and wish they would stick to the British railway. Just a way to fill space. No doubt you'll get complaints from Europhiles but they should stick to what their core readership knows and loves. Edited by Andy Y
Derogatory political term removed

I have no interest in non-uk features and wish they would stick to the British railway. Just a way to fill space. No doubt you'll get complaints from Europhiles and remoaners but they should stick to what their core readership knows and loves.

Model Rail dropped its international content years ago (reluctantly as far as some of us were concerned) in response to reader reaction. "They" are sticking to what their core readership demands. The article on which Steve 1 commented was about detailing a British kit - it simply has a French name on it. (CJL)

• Like 1

"They" are sticking to what their core readership demands.

Yes, that's right and good.

I guess the concern is that by going off-piste (as it were) is that it waters down and reduces content space for the core UK interest. Perhaps an alternative 'Model Rail Abroad' publication (like RM do with Continental Modeller) would appease those who enjoy overseas subject modelling. I have some interest myself but wouldn't like to see it mixed in with British train modelling.

G

Edited by Andy Y
Derogatory political reference removed