Nottingham station fire

• RMweb Gold

Dramatic images just shown on the BBC news of a "major fire" at Nottingham station.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-42660181

From National Rail

Emergency services are dealing with a fire incident at Nottingham, causing disruption to trains at the station. At present, the station has been evacuated and emergency services are on on site. Whilst the station remains closed, no trains will be able to run to or from the station.

There is no firm estimate yet of how long disruption will last but it is likely to continue until at least 10:00.

Edited by beast66606

From the BBC text service on the telly...

Huge blaze at city centre train station

Fire fighters are tackling a huge blaze at Nottingham railway station

Come on guys... which is it?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

On the train front :

Empty stocks have been diverted away to start their services from other stations.

60007 on 6E46, Kingsbury - Lindsey is sitting outside the station (probably best not to run an empty oil train through at the moment)

Passenger services which were heading to Nottingham have been terminated short, mostly at the last station stop before Nottingham for local services, other services are turning back further afield.

1R66, 06:52, Norwich - Liverpool Lime Street (via Nottingham) was turned back at Ely this morning - reason given was "VANDALS"

Glad to hear there are no injuries to staff or passengers.

If the fire did begin in a toilet bin you have to question why fire suppression wasn't built into public areas where the risk of fire was reasonable, rather like the fire in Liverpool last week, a small fire that could have been contained becomes an inferno because some risks were not identified and mitigation put in place. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

BBC Local News reporting 10 fire engines at the station. Earlier I heard a reporter speaking to a traveller at Derby station wanting to go to Nottingham who had been sat on his train for over half hour waiting for news - I wonder if he's still there as he did mention that most of the other passengers had got off again !! 

From what I can see in the BBC pictures it has spread onto the cross-way inside the barriers that gives access to the platform stairs and lifts.  This probably means it's gone through the ticket office and the staff area behind it.  The big question will be any damage to the structure supporting this area above the tracks - if so probably no trains in or out of the west end for some time, but if the fire is at roof level as reported then hopefully not.  If trains can run but this access is unusable then it may be possible to operate the station via the centre bridge, but without step-free access or most of the station facilities. 

• RMweb Premium

Thank goodness there were no casualties AFAIK. If it had started later then it might have been more 'challenging'. I do hope the exterior brick and 'original' part isn't strucurally damaged? I wonder if there were sprinklers in the new build?

Presumably the 'Oils' may well go via Retford for a while?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thank goodness there were no casualties AFAIK. If it had started later then it might have been more 'challenging'. I do hope the exterior brick and 'original' part isn't strucurally damaged? I wonder if there were sprinklers in the new build?

Presumably the 'Oils' may well go via Retford for a while?

Phil

Past experience preferred diversion is Scunthorpe, Old Road, Erewash to Trent or via Derby to Stenson Junction.

• RMweb Premium

Good luck and best wishes to all the Staff at Nott'm (Midland) and I do hope you will all be back in a better environment asap. Well done the Fire Service for getting it sorted so quickly. Such a horrible situation for all concerned.

Phil

Is there not access via the tram station - if so no immediate problems in running trains to/from Grantham and Newark/Lincoln.

That would be possible but access would be by the middle footbridge (the tram station access to the main station comes in near where the fire started). However only about 10% of passengers are going east, and both trains towards Newark and one of the two towards Grantham in each hour normally work through to the west, so it would be nowhere near a full service. 

That would be possible but access would be by the middle footbridge (the tram station access to the main station comes in near where the fire started). However only about 10% of passengers are going east, and both trains towards Newark and one of the two towards Grantham in each hour normally work through to the west, so it would be nowhere near a full service.

In the days of old London passengers would be told to travel by Grantham when the MML had problems but I suppose in todays wonderful privatised highly broken up and disjointed railway such a simple solution has long been forgotten.

In the days of old London passengers would be told to travel by Grantham when the MML had problems but I suppose in todays wonderful privatised highly broken up and disjointed railway such a simple solution has long been forgotten.

Wires down at KX made this impossible today. Major disruption at KX until Sunday morning for OHLE repairs.

The right to used alternative routes is enshrined in the regulations governing train companies in time of disruption. It is used all the time (including today at Nottingham). I know slagging off the railways is national pastime (just like when they were nationalised...) but let's give credit where it's due.

Edited by andyman7

This does still happen. In fact you often get routed that way by the journey planner, with advanced purchase tickets being ever so slightly cheaper.