RMweb

Hornby TTS sound vent van

Liam

I'm tempted to motorise a couple and have a barking dog van chase a plaintive cat van round the layout, just for rivet counter giggles.

Take 2 small fast shunters and fit them with plain DCC. Add a cat to the back of one and a dog to the front of the other. Couple up a van to each... bingo.

Provided Hornby get them out for the proposed December 2018 deadline, they'd make a wonderful christmas present.

Perhaps Hornby will do a DCC Santa Train Pack next year, with a sound-fitted reindeer van....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes but looking at the website it only gives you 4 sound scenarios on each module! doesn't the Hornby van give a number of sound scenarios in the one decoder.

It says “sounds include”. Not the sounds are.

Train-Tech say there will be 8 sounds on each module variant, some play through once, some are looped.

For DC operation a main background sound will play plus random other sounds in the set. Control is On or Off.

For DCC operation as above or any 2 sounds in the set will play under DCC control. Each sound controlled by a separate DCC address.

The TTS unit with 29 function controlled sounds was said to be a market tester and that feedback would point the way for future versions. I think an expanded sound set for various set themes is a logical way forward.

Rob

Edited to add TTS function qty.

Edited by RAFHAAA96

• RMweb Gold

Provided Hornby get them out for the proposed December 2018 deadline, they'd make a wonderful christmas present.

Perhaps Hornby will do a DCC Santa Train Pack next year, with a sound-fitted reindeer van....

Fully agree, but Hattons are reporting January:-(

Roy

The wholesaler Hornby/Bachmann have little control over when a model is made. It's all down to the outsourced manufacturer and when the allocated production slots are arranged. Other than design & development H&B have little say!

• RMweb Gold

I think people are missing the point with this model. Its not really aimed at the serious modeller, I think. Its going to go down a storm with the "train set" market though. Just imagine if one of the layouts on GMRC had stuck this in a siding on their layout?

I was going to buy one of these vans for Christmas, the thing that put me off a little being that an awful lot of the sounds wouldn't be right on my layout and my lenz is going to struggle to play some of them. But hey-ho, it's not a lot of money so why not. And then train tech/gauge master bring out focused versions, cheaper, sooner. I feel a little sorry for Hornby - TTS seems to have been very successful and just as they move to expand, someone beats them to it. So be it. I wonder if the speaker for the TT/GM unit can be upgraded

Real shame as would have been great to have a UK equivalent to the soundtraxx vehicles you can get in the US that concentrate on sounds associated with the vehicle they are in. It feels like Hornby have shoe horned disparate sounds into a van hoping there would be something for everyone but disappointing people who wanted something that could run as part of a train and give a continued complimentary sound track to the locomotive. Hopefully there will be a mk2 that improves things.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like (ummm, did I mean that?) the Sound Effects Van has been more popular than Hornby imagined.  It appeared on their New Arrivals page on Monday, and is marked as out of stock already!

I wonder if they'll do a repeat run, or produce a TTS chip with a different range of sounds to complement it?

• RMweb Gold

We've been giving these a quick test since they arrived yesterday, they're a good idea and they work well. With 28 sounds it's relatively comprehensive and unlike some other TTS decoder fitted items, this one will play multiple sounds at the same time. They're going down well with the children who have basic DCC but struggle to afford sound, fitting 20 loco's (even with TTS) can cost quite a lot of money.

I imagine they could be be quite 'customisable' should Hornby wish to go down that route. For example Train-Tech are just releasing their 'record your own sound and play it back via DCC control' system (SR1 Sound Track recorder - I saw it and Warley and I thought it was pretty cool actually) and somehow if Hornby made a software that meant you could record your own sounds to load into the van (via a computer program maybe) I think that would add another aspect to this. :)

Edited by Derails Models

I’m waiting for one from ‘Jadlam racing models’ on ebay, it’s an interesting idea so I thought I’d get one to try, I’m gonna try a different speaker in it too, see if it can be improved. Richard

Richard, when you are done enhancing it can you post a video please?

Mark

Plenty of room to play about in there...

post-7193-0-53770400-1544263400_thumb.jpg

Edit - seeing as it can play any three sounds at once why didn’t they call it Triple Track Sound.

The resistor is there as a psuedo motor load for those controllers that need a load for programming purposes.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

• RMweb Gold

Just picked mine up this morning.

Liking it, but in a quiet room the sounds are pretty loud.  May need to alter volume levels slightly.

Although it seems to be selling out quickly, I feel Hornby have missed a few selling points. Nowhere (other than in the instructions) do they mention:

• 3 sounds can be played at once - Triple track rather than twin track!
  • Solder tabs running length ways under the wagon either side of the label (but painted black) allow for permanent connection to the DCC supply.  

Overall a very good product I think, paving the way for future products of a similar style.

Brian 

• RMweb Gold

Just read all the CV's using JMRI and found Volume set to 8.  adjusted to 4 and a little quieter now!

I have also just added the Vent Van definition to my JMRI Decoder Definition:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136936-tts-decoders-updated-jmri-decoder-file-new-vent-van-decoder-definition-created/page-1

Edited by beejack

• RMweb Gold

That looks tidier than mine, though I got mine as a bluetooth speaker on ebay for £5 and play sounds from my phonepost-20773-0-44985000-1544346546.jpeg

Once i opened it up, it looks like this

post-20773-0-10784000-1544346552.jpeg

And i dropped it into the van like this.

post-20773-0-14796400-1544346557.jpeg

The speaker will fit in a BG etc and is charged as any other USB.

Though once the novelty wore off Ive kind of moved on, but I did run loco sounds through it behind coaches and it was pretty good, especially using a PC instead of an iphone as I could play multiple sounds at once.

Motivation being it works for me being a DC only user, as the TTS sound van is DCC only.

Edited by adb968008