Manning Wardle class H - 4mm scratchbuild

Ruston

It's looking much more like a locomotive now.

post-494-0-52575400-1518720186.jpg

The tank is fitted to the bodywork and the bottom of the boiler is soldered to the motion bracket, which has been thinned and fitted, along with the slide bars. A handrail across the front of the tank has been made up and soldered into place and, on the running plate, a pair of toolboxes that were milled from solid brass have been added. On this side of the tank I have fitted the water valve for the axle-driven pump, which has been made up from 8 seperate pieces of brass rod, tube and copper wire. The other side will have an injector. All the whitemetal parts are from RT Models.

I was going to fit a simple weatherboard (as on the locos shown in post #4), a spare etching from the RT Models Manning Wardle Old Class I kit, but I made a mess of putting the bend in it and so decided to do something different and scratchbuild an alternative design.

post-494-0-57558100-1518721950.jpg

New patterns made for weatherboard, roof and sides, also including pattern for cab steps as I forgot to do these. This style of weatherboard/roof came in two differing fittings on the prototype - one as I am doing, where the board was fitted at the rear end of the firebox and so had a short roof, and one where the board was fixed to the rear of the saddle tank and had a long roof with holes for the safety valves to poke through.

If you're wondering what the mess on the patterns is, it's paint that washed out of the brush by the MEK that I used to stick the drawing onto the plasticard. I use MEK to bond the paper to plasticard before cutting out the parts. MEK is again used to bond the pattern parts to another plasticard backing. I say plasticard but it is actually 2mm thick high impact styrene sheet, obtained from commercial sign makers.

• Like 8

The latest pieces of the puzzle are the safety valves and cover.

attachicon.gifManningWardleH2-006.jpg

Two and a half hours to make that little lot; I think I'm losing my grip on reality...

No Dave,  it will be worth it.

I have to admire you moving backwards and forwards between scales,  once I built something in 7mm I struggled to add the level of detail I wanted to my 4mm projects and promptly sold them all to fund more 7mm.

• RMweb Premium

That's looking to become a beautiful little engine.

Class H Mannings were operated by 4 mainline railways with the Midland having 5, 

That's new to me - never come across a reference to these before. Where they perhaps among the engines inherited from the Butterley Company when the Midland took on provision of engines for that company's internal system?

Edited by Compound2632

That's looking to become a beautiful little engine.

That's new to me - never come across a reference to these before. Where they perhaps among the engines inherited from the Butterley Company when the Midland took on provision of engines for that company's internal system?

I have no idea where they were used and all I have on them is what is given in Vol.2 of Fred W. Harman's book on Manning Wardle locomotives.

Order No. 3080 - Engine No. 229, Despatch Date 11th Nov. 1867, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. St. Pancras.

Order No. 5477 - Engine No. 321, Despatch Date 1st Nov. 1870, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. Derby

Order No. 5480  - Engine No. 330 Despatch Date 2nd Dec.1870, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. Derby

Order No. 7630 - Engine No. 445, Despatch Date 16th June 1873, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. Derby

Order No. 7630 - Engine No. 446, Despatch Date 16th June 1873, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. Derby

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have no idea where they were used and all I have on them is what is given in Vol.2 of Fred W. Harman's book on Manning Wardle locomotives.

Order No. 3080 - Engine No. 229, Despatch Date 11th Nov. 1867, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. St. Pancras.

Order No. 5477 - Engine No. 321, Despatch Date 1st Nov. 1870, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. Derby

Order No. 5480  - Engine No. 330 Despatch Date 2nd Dec.1870, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. Derby

Order No. 7630 - Engine No. 445, Despatch Date 16th June 1873, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. Derby

Order No. 7630 - Engine No. 446, Despatch Date 16th June 1873, Purchaser/Destination Midland Railway Co. Derby

Interesting - looks as if they were being used on in-house new works - contractors' locomotives in all but name. That would explain why they never appeared as part of the revenue-earning locomotive stock. I wonder if they were painted in Midland colours (green at this date) or in some MW default livery.

Edited by Compound2632

Brake gear.

post-494-0-05576300-1519148297.jpg

I've got the hangers and blocks on, and the cross-shaft and crank for the hand brake ( the only brake on this particular loco as it won't have a steam brake) with a 14BA screw for the screw thread. I have yet to make up the cranks and rods to connect the cross-shaft to the hangers. The only other jobs left to do on the frames are to make and fit the lower part of the firebox and then fit some pickups.

I haven't decided how to do the pickups yet. With a diesel, or a more modern steam loco with solid and deep plate frames I would normally put a piece of copper-clad board underneath and solder lengths of nickel silver wire to it but with the open frames I'm not sure this will look right.

• Like 4

Cracking job Dave.  It just keeps getting better and better!

Cheers, Paul.

The frames were painted, yesterday evening and have now been fitted up with the cylinders, wheels, rods and gearbox. The rods are milled from 1mm thick nickel silver.

post-494-0-61362300-1519410800.jpg

Not really visible in this shot is the lower part of the firebox, which was made up of thin brass shim and dimpled to represent rivets. It was then soldered in place. The cylinder end covers (and the tank/smokebox fixing brackets in previous post) are custom etches from Narrow Planet.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10

They think it's all over...

Not quite but it has emerged from the paintshop and the bodywork has been reunited with the frames. As a bonus, today, I managed to get some pickups fitted and so it has been tested on the rolling road and given a run on White Peak Limestone & Tarmcadam to test performance through switches and crossings. I'm very pleased to say that it has passed with flying colours.

post-494-0-06469600-1519576563.jpg

With my other scratchbuilt H. The main colour isn't quite what I had in mind to begin with but I really like it now. I mixed up the colour that the frames were done in (see previous post) but it was too light and a bit weak, so I gave it a coat of Tamiya clear yellow varnish.

post-494-0-36293300-1519576851.jpg

I have managed to get 30g more weight into this than the other H and it now weighs in at 190g, which I think is a decent weight for something this small.(68mm over buffer beams).

Jobs still to do include couplings, lining, weathering, glazing of spectacles and the addition of a crew on the footplate and coal in the bunkers. Oh and finish painting the buffers - the paint has worn off as I have been using them exclusively to handle the loco as I painted everything else.

post-494-0-62006300-1519577437.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 8

How do you go about painting? Purely brush?

Thanks.

Luke

Hi Luke,

I always start with Halfords etch primer spray can on everything. Everything else was brush-painted, including the yellow varnish and the clear topcoat, which was applied after the lining decals.

I'm calling this one finished.

Couplings fitted, spectacles glazed, coal in bunker, lightly weathered and crew added. As a bonus I made up a couple of displacement lubricators for the steam chest. They are made from lengths of copper wire, copper tube and tiny slivers of 1mm dia. brass rod that was sawn using a piecring saw.

post-494-0-37607300-1519764274.jpg

post-494-0-22580000-1519764313.jpg

The crew are Andrew Stadden figures that have poseable arms. I made these up and painted them back at the point when I had put the firebox in place, so as to gauge the position of the driver's arm relative to the regulator.

post-494-0-72731900-1519764463.jpg

post-494-0-34901500-1519764487.jpg

I know it may be just an obscure little saddletank to most people but I can't begin to tell you how chuffed I am with this model. It's so satisfying to make something literally from sheets, strips and rods of metal and have it run well and look reasonably good. OK, so it doesn't look as good as something out of a box from China but it's only my second scratchbuild and as far as satisfaction in a job well done, and knowing that I've got a loco type that very few other people will have, it's a feeling that can't be beaten.

Keep on scratchin' :locomotive:

• Like 7

Apart from the generally stunning nature of this project, Dave, has anyone commented upon the lining? How did you do that, please, it's really effective.

Thanks, Cap'n. The lining was done by inkjet printer. I made up the designs in Photoshop and printed them onto a sheet of clear waterslide decal paper that I bought from ebay from someone by the name of Mr. Decalpaper. I printed it as if it was glossy photo paper and set the quality to high. The printed paper has to be sprayed with acrylic varnish to seal it otherwise it comes off in water. I find that that it's essential to use some type of setting solution to prevent the decals from silvering and that they must go on to a glossy surface for the same reason.

• Informative/Useful 1