RMweb

HST retirements and secondary deployments.

What is happening to the coaches from the sets going to Brush then?

One post says storage, another says Wabtec Doncaster.

Both. The Off lease sets are often split. Coaches no body wants go to Ely. Coaches for Scotrail to Wabtec. Not sure if any go into short term store waiting space but certain that many at Ely are Off lease and unwanted for any short sets.

What is happening to the coaches from the sets going to Brush then?

One post says storage, another says Wabtec Doncaster.

No coaches are going to Brush, they are modifying the power cars, the coaches are being modified at Doncaster, the stored coaches (long and short term) are at Ely.

So the ones at Ely at surplus to requirements and will probably end up scrapped? Or are they held as spares?

Most are surplus (at least for now), some are waiting to go to Doncaster for door and bog mods.

Anyone over 6ft tall will have to be careful as they enter or leave the coaches as they are a bit low.

I would just like to compliment Laira on sorting out the 'issues' the coaches were delivered with, I didnt expect the coaches out for a few more days after reading about and seeing all the problems, well done Lads.

That'll be good news for XC then, with the news of Laira being thrown a lifeline of the AXC HST maintenance from this year. 

• RMweb Premium

These new doors are fairly unobtrusive compared to the plug ones on Chiltern. While the purists might not like it I’m thinking that might allow Hornby to get away with a new liveried ScotRail inter7city rake without resorting to new tooling. While everyone wants absolute accuracy retooling the Mk3s for the new door would probably kill a model economically , but if it’s just a relivery we may get one.

These new doors are fairly unobtrusive compared to the plug ones on Chiltern. While the purists might not like it I’m thinking that might allow Hornby to get away with a new liveried ScotRail inter7city rake without resorting to new tooling. While everyone wants absolute accuracy retooling the Mk3s for the new door would probably kill a model economically , but if it’s just a relivery we may get one.

Well if you are happy with a fudge then fine. I wouldn't. 

I thought the hobby was moving away from class 33s in CIE livery and suchlike but perhaps it is a good job I don't want any HST models  

....While the purists might not like it I’m thinking that might allow Hornby to get away with a new liveried ScotRail inter7city rake without resorting to new tooling. ......

Don't worry. These will suffice for the "less fussy"......

71kzQRoGL4L._SY355_.jpg

The doors are recessed, not flush with the side, and the windows are a different shape.

I don't see how you get away (as a manufacturer) with just repainting an existing model.

• RMweb Premium

The doors are recessed, not flush with the side, and the windows are a different shape.

I don't see how you get away (as a manufacturer) with just repainting an existing model.

Well if it’s that or nothing , which one would you vote for? Can you see a manufacturer altering the tooling just to do GWR and ScotRail versions .doubt that’s economic . If it’s so offensive for the puritans they can still modify the doors

• Like 1

Well if it’s that or nothing , which one would you vote for? Can you see a manufacturer altering the tooling just to do GWR and ScotRail versions .doubt that’s economic . If it’s so offensive for the puritans they can still modify the doors

From what I gather from the Oxford Mk3 Thread, somebody at Oxford Rail said that they were looking at tooling for the Power Door versions?

Simon

From what I gather from the Oxford Mk3 Thread, somebody at Oxford Rail said that they were looking at tooling for the Power Door versions?

Simon

I'm just glad my chosen era celebrates its half-century this year, because from what I could make out the Oxfords have their detractors as it is....  :stinker:

And cross country.

And you never know, with plenty of spare powers cars and trailers, maybe other TOCs will take some on - a HST WAG as those mk3 LHCS are non compliant 31-12-19

Unlikely that EMT will get done but VTEC still a possibility.

• RMweb Premium

Well you never know, Hornby might think it’s a way of usefully extending the appeal of their Mk3s . Ironically HSTs have never been so modelable thanks to the short formations.

And cross country.

And you never know, with plenty of spare powers cars and trailers, maybe other TOCs will take some on - a HST WAG as those mk3 LHCS are non compliant 31-12-19

Unlikely that EMT will get done but VTEC still a possibility.

Errm, not exactly, as those 'plenty of spare' (HST) trailers are also non compliant on 01-01-20, it's only the trailers selected for being re-deployed that are going in for conversion.

And by WAG do you mean West Anglia? - as I understand it, the new Anglia franchise has already ordered a complete fleet of new trains

So it's also likely that with EMT, theirs are likely to be done, or possibly are already booked to be, as it seemslikely at present they may be retained beyond 2019.

The VTEC sets being done is unlikely, as I understand it they have looked at the possibility of retaining them, but the Works to do the conversions are apparently now booked up. There's even, I've heard, been consideration of the feasibility of converting MkIVs to work with HST power cars.

And while on the subject of MkIVs, apparently 91109 is presently in an extremely precarious possition!

Edited by Ken.W

I think he means the Welsh Assembly Groups WAG, class 67 hauled mark 3s.

Once the conversions are sorted (the one delivered to GWR had a lot of 'issues') there is no reason why other Angel Trains owned mark 3 coaches cant be converted, the Porterbrook ones cant be converted as Angel own the rights to the conversion unless Porterbrook 'buy in' to the conversions.

Edited by royaloak

Thanks, could only think of Anglia still using non-coverted LH Mk3s.

There seems to be some problem with works capacity to now have additional trailers converted before the 2020 deadline, as VTEC have looked at retaining (all) their sets in view of the issues with the 800s on diesel, but it apperently wasn't feasible (or maybe they're owned by the 'wrong' ROSCO?), hence the consideration of converting MkIVs for use with HST power cars.

Although at present no-one seems to know what they'll be running.

• RMweb Premium

Two power cars and four coaches, these should really move. Not bad for an old design!

Just as long as they don't go too fast (2+4 is not recommended for high speed.........)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Just as long as they don't go too fast (2+4 is not recommended for high speed.........)

Cheers,

Mick

Shortest allowable formation for 125mph running is 2+5.

Maximum permitted speed for a 2+4 formation is 100mph, which is higher than any line speed west of Plymouth anyway. Acceleration should be pretty lively, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Hi,

Here’s a video of the 2+4 pocket rockets with plug doors:(begins at 3:22)

https://youtu.be/PHtret_Z7_U

Apparently they are to be known as Class 255 ‘Castles’

Simon

255 yes, castles no (and it doesn't matter how hard they try), and it's only 255 because that is the entry on our driving licences.