Fawlty Towers

peterdk

I wonder ... is there anyone here that can provide scale or approximate drawings of the outside of Fawlty Towers, aka Wooburn Grange Country Club. I understand that the building burnt down in 1991, however I'de love to make a model of the hotel, as i think it would make a nice/funny scene on my 1940's GWR model railway that is in the building ...

Happy modelling everyone

Best regards Peter

post-8024-0-20861500-1518444673.jpeg  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wonder ... is there anyone here that can provide scale or approximate drawings of the outside of Fawlty Towers, aka Wooburn Grange Country Club. I understand that the building burnt down in 1991, however I'de love to make a model of the hotel, as i think it would make a nice/funny scene on my 1940's GWR model railway that is in the building ...

Happy modelling everyone

Best regards Peter

attachicon.gifimages (2).jpeg  

You could give Mr O'Reilly a call? He did a bit of work there ;)

Only thing I've found is a sort of floor plan - http://www.thefawltytowersguide.co.uk/fawltytowershotel.htm

• Like 3

Dare you do the rude anagram, though??!! :scared: ;)

Flay Otters

Warty Towels

There are a couple more, which I shall leave clear of the swear bot, and of course the ones with just missing letters!

You'd need a tall wiry hotelier up a ladder trying to 'see girl in room' and his waiter holding the ladder. A 1940s layout would be too early for the red mini van being thrashed with a handy branch, but there are plenty of other cameos (probably not the Germans though!)

Cheers

J

I believe Basil's car was an Austin 1100 estate. I think Austin & Morris were the same company but their vehicles were branded one or the other.

Austin and Morris were just two of the brands absorbed into the British Motor Company (BMC).  Here's Basil giving his 1100 (I took my driving test in one nearly 50 yrs ago!) a darned good thrashing!

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think we referred to the BMC 1100 in skool days as 'metal fatigues' due to a batch of duff CV joints being public knowledge. I think Sherry took me past the site of the former hotel the other week after collecting her optician's prescription. 

• RMweb Gold

I think you would be better off at Sherry's at the moment, it's only a bit showery this side of the moat.

Poor girl has a recurring cold virus at present, as have several others she knows. This morning Newton Abbot proved to be warmer than Torquay, she found. I hear the SW has had some dreadful driving conditions with both M5 and A30 blocked due to weather and drivers not agreeing on how to drive. Our snow has come and gone today, but still a few freezes forecast and some more snow maybe. Winter started late here after a mild January, but is being a bit of a pest now. 

• RMweb Premium

Poor girl has a recurring cold virus at present, as have several others she knows. This morning Newton Abbot proved to be warmer than Torquay, she found. I hear the SW has had some dreadful driving conditions with both M5 and A30 blocked due to weather and drivers not agreeing on how to drive. Our snow has come and gone today, but still a few freezes forecast and some more snow maybe. Winter started late here after a mild January, but is being a bit of a pest now.

Yeah accidents on both were closed, the A30 because of an altercation between a lorry and a car at Upottery and the M3 southbound due to a body being found in the carriageway. Sadly another death since Friday. I don't quite know the circumstances, but it appears to be something to do with the driving standards in the weather conditions.

I heard somewhere a long time ago that this building had been demolished.

As per the OP; the actual Hotel used for filming burned down in 1991. The Torquay Hotel that inspired Fawlty Towers has also been closed and demolished, more recently;

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/mar/16/hotel-inspired-john-cleese-classic-comedy-fawlty-towers-demolished

• RMweb Premium

Only thing I've found is a sort of floor plan - http://www.thefawltytowersguide.co.uk/fawltytowershotel.htm

Those 'plans' look like drawings of the film studio sets and probably have very little to do with the actual hotel building. As far as I know the real building was only used for the occasional outside shots.

• RMweb Gold

Those 'plans' look like drawings of the film studio sets and probably have very little to do with the actual hotel building. As far as I know the real building was only used for the occasional outside shots.

Could be :)