Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

The dome does seem to look rather unrealistic.

I think I should alter it as per the real thing.😃

Bernard

rothbury_late40s(ne.stead)old1.jpg.28bceb083ef75b5770060fc14d9d977b.jpg

Is that lined, or isit just the light on the bottom of the tank?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No lining. Plain black.

If you mean the line along the base of the tank, it is angle iron or flat bar.

Edited by D5158
  • Thanks 1

On 18/06/2023 at 15:50, DougN said:

Well I've paid the invoice and had a confirmation that its been dispatched but not had anything from Royal mail for tracking. I have watched the Hornby Mag review. I think people are right the NER green that the dome looks to be different colours. It doent bother me as i went for the LNER black. Yesterday discussing with a number local BRMA members we'll have a few G5s heading to this part of the world. 

Well Doug we'll have one in Adelaide to soon. Couldn't resist it in red lined LNER black! Mine is 1752 though as 2082 was too late for me with push pull.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Like 1

My LNER black loco arrived this morning, and is already on the rolling road running in nicely. It was virtually silent straight out of the box mind and seems to be really well balanced, which is often an issue for an 0-4-4t but no problems here! 

The sound is lovely, the soeaker being up to the task with the volume at a reasonable level, though maybe a bit of extra bass to give the exhaust a bit more bite would improve it a touch. 

20230626_114629.jpg.b8f0c79f6e5bdf181ce9f399e5f3a1e5.jpg

I'm certainly looking forward to getting some carriages out and putting it to work properly, and adding a crew, renumbering it, and some light weatehring in due course.

Cheers

J

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mine arrived last week. A self-gift to mark achieving chartered engineer, its a beautiful model. Well made, well detailed. 

The only thing I'd add, is possibly additional side springing to the rear truck to help centralise the loco coming out of a curve, and prevent over swinging within the curve. Its probably less significant when pulling a train, but very noticeable when running bunker first or light engine. 

I've got an idea of how to address it, just need to source a suitable spring.

Thanks  

Paul. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Hi Paul,

Just out of interest, could you please explain how exactly this effects running ?
Thanks.

Hi Eddie,

It runs lovely, it's just excessive side swing at the bunker end meaning it hits platform's that locos of its length wouldn't normally do. 

Thanks

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Hi Eddie,

It runs lovely, it's just excessive side swing at the bunker end meaning it hits platform's that locos of its length wouldn't normally do. 

Thanks

Paul.

I haven't handled one, but apart from control of the bogie, I'm willing to bet the coupled axles have more sideplay than they need, as that seems to be a universal feature of rtr.

1 minute ago, Flying Pig said:

I haven't handled one, but apart from control of the bogie, I'm willing to bet the coupled axles have more sideplay than they need, as that seems to be a universal feature of rtr.

Well its designed for general market, so 2nd radius track, so there was bound to be design 'compromise' (whispered).

It's a lovely loco regardless. Inspiration to get my finger out and get the N10 ready for general release.

Paul 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Paul_sterling said:

Mine arrived last week. A self-gift to mark achieving chartered engineer, its a beautiful model. Well made, well detailed. 

The only thing I'd add, is possibly additional side springing to the rear truck to help centralise the loco coming out of a curve, and prevent over swinging within the curve. Its probably less significant when pulling a train, but very noticeable when running bunker first or light engine. 

I've got an idea of how to address it, just need to source a suitable spring.

Thanks  

Paul. 

I look forward to seeing what you do.

Mine is still on the work bench awaiting the fitting of the detail parts.

I did notice a tendency for the bogie to twist, but have not, as yet engaged my brain as to what to do about it.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that.

As you say, runs lovely. I bought a second one based on this which unfortunately is experiencing the 

side to side movement of the rear pony.

I suspected this may have been down to the back to back on the wheels.

I’ll take a look at this with a couple of coaches as you suggest.

TMC are happy to help but if I can solve the issue myself then I will.

Cheers.

Eddie.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Well its designed for general market, so 2nd radius track, so there was bound to be design 'compromise' (whispered).

It's a lovely loco regardless. Inspiration to get my finger out and get the N10 ready for general release.

Paul 

True but manufacturers do tend to err on the baggy side* and it makes for an easy win by simply reducing sideplay (e.g. with Peco fibre washers) if you don't need it.

*even on 0-4-0s which surely don't need any sideplay?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

True but manufacturers do tend to err on the baggy side* and it makes for an easy win by simply reducing sideplay (e.g. with Peco fibre washers) if you don't need it.

*even on 0-4-0s which surely don't need any sideplay?

0-4-0s have it to reduce the shock when entering curves/points. Means the wheels and motion moves sideways just before the superstructure does.

Less likely to derail then when smokey Joe is going for a lap record.... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Less likely to derail then when smokey Joe is going for a lap record.... 

I was thinking of the Peckett W4 which I would expect to live a more sedate life and would benefit from not waving its couplings about more than can be helped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flying Pig said:

I was thinking of the Peckett W4 which I would expect to live a more sedate life and would benefit from not waving its couplings about more than can be helped.

Probably the same issue just slower speed, the peckett has such small wheels and relatively fine wheel flanges, the need to be flexible over (potentially) indifferent track would require some slack in the system. 

Aside from anything else, greater tolerances equates to cheaper manufacturing. 

• RMweb Premium

But surely all these short-wheelbase coupled engines waddled - especially the outside cylinder ones - so it's prototypical. And as on the prototype, with a load on the drawbar the waddle will be damped.

I noticed my O was waggling a little bit when running light engine chimney first, but nothing very dramatic. I think having plenty of weight well forward helps a good deal.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thing is, excess sideplay can lead to problems with coupling alignment as I mentioned above and also makes it harder to ensure that pickups always remain in contact, as well as increasing the dynamic envelope as Paul has found, so it is worth eliminating where possible (probably not on your SECR liveried Big Bertha though).  And that should be quite easy to do, so is worth pursuing.

As to flexibility, I've a feeling that backing off the keeper plate screws a quarter turn to allow some cheapo compensation would do more good for a small engine.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

This is a beautiful model. Both TMC and Bachmann are to be congratulated and I am pleased that the commissioner has maintained the relatively recent trend (at the time of commissioning) of including a version in Pre-Grouping in-service condition.  Mine is intended, one day, to join a kit-built O Class, an A, which is rather on the blue side (so we'll chalk that one up as a Darlington repaint), a BTP and a couple of Cs for the goods work, on a layout of Richmond. 

We have to make allowances for differing shades of green on the NER where it is suggested that each of its three loco works could have a different idea of Saxony Green.  Nevertheless, I have expressed some concerns about the Bachmann shade based on its Dayglo appearance under studio lights. One would expect impeccable research from this manufacturer, but, then, how a loco comes across at scale is another matter.

Several lighting conditions were tried below. It seems to me that, despite the variations that result, the locomotives used for the comparison manage to stay looking NER green. Pre-Grouping liveries can be treacherous ground. I will leave others to decide on the merits of the Bachmann shade, though in any lighting conditions other than, perhaps, sepulchral, it seems likely to prove the outlier in my NER stud. 

20230626_185724.jpg.2c62525a8f2d40342705957a41510c55.jpg

20230626_185847.jpg.7939ff2046e38323f98284d9e8797d3b.jpg

20230626_185915.jpg.9b16641be340f5c7220bec8f5579802b.jpg

20230626_190249.jpg.08ec54663ec5106eb50cb6d851564980.jpg

20230626_190652.jpg.d71b4a56a2a197f9fe012c1b5acc0790.jpg

20230626_183414.jpg.4d40bdddb8e14b0ca10205ae7398b6a1.jpg

Finally!

20230626_183330.jpg.60d61baf60b7c2aa146dd2d40e91a210.jpg

Just have to make sure layout lighting can reproduce this!

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

This is a beautiful model. Both TMC and Bachmann are to be congratulated and I am pleased that the commissioner has maintained the relatively recent trend (at the time of commissioning) of including a version in Pre-Grouping in-service condition.  Mine is intended, one day, to join a kit-built O Class, an A, which is rather on the blue side (so we'll chalk that one up as a Darlington repaint), a BTP and a couple of Cs for the goods work, on a layout of Richmond. 

We have to make allowances for differing shades of green on the NER where it is suggested that each of its three loco works could have a different idea of Saxony Green.  Nevertheless, I have expressed some concerns about the Bachmann shade based on its Dayglo appearance under studio lights. One would expect impeccable research from this manufacturer, but, then, how a loco comes across at scale is another matter.

Several lighting conditions were tried below. It seems to me that, despite the variations that result, the locomotives used for the comparison manage to stay looking NER green. Pre-Grouping liveries can be treacherous ground. I will leave others to decide on the merits of the Bachmann shade, though in any lighting conditions other than, perhaps, sepulchral, it seems likely to prove the outlier in my NER stud. 

20230626_185724.jpg.2c62525a8f2d40342705957a41510c55.jpg

20230626_185847.jpg.7939ff2046e38323f98284d9e8797d3b.jpg

20230626_185915.jpg.9b16641be340f5c7220bec8f5579802b.jpg

20230626_190249.jpg.08ec54663ec5106eb50cb6d851564980.jpg

20230626_190652.jpg.d71b4a56a2a197f9fe012c1b5acc0790.jpg

20230626_183414.jpg.4d40bdddb8e14b0ca10205ae7398b6a1.jpg

Finally!

20230626_183330.jpg.60d61baf60b7c2aa146dd2d40e91a210.jpg

Just have to make sure layout lighting can reproduce this!

Amazing! In photos 2 and 3, the different colour of the dome is startling but in photo 5 it’s barely noticeable. Excellent set of pictures.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Now, the photograph I posted on the previous page looked to my eyes "just right" and reproduced the colour as perceived by the naked eye - or mine at least. That photo was taken in natural light on an overcast day.

I therefore conclude that the model is designed to be viewed in lighting conditions typical of its natural north-east England habitat.

A question I put to @Edwardian is, does the model appear to him as yellow as it looks in some of his photos, when viewed with the naked eye under the same lighting conditions?  

• Like 2