My Hermes, how a company can change for the best

hayfield

I dislike this company simply because of the awful service I have had in the past and the quality of one of the agents where I used to live, earlier this month I had a package stuck in their local depot for 3 days, no problem struggling through the snow from Lincolnshire to London in a couple of days, but somehow it took 3 days to travel a few yards within their depot

I had the dreaded message early last week from the seller I have sent it using Hermes

Well I kept an eye on it and delivery was expected tomorrow, was at Ally Pally over the weekend, too tired to turn the computer on Saturday. Last night a message that it was at a secure location, great I thought delivered on Monday. Looked this morning at the tracking and it said delivered. Alarm bells start ringing

Contacted their web chat, worse than useless.  Basically they had no idea what was happening and said someone will get back to me within 48 hours.

I still had the phone number of a person in the CEO's complaints team, spoke with her. Called me back after talking with the courier for my area who said she had delivered all parcels on Saturday, but because the hand set was not working there was no record of the secure location, or any signatures. Apparently the information was input by the couriers manager manually (against procedure)

Well half past five and finally got a call back and it seemed to have got worse

Firstly mine and loads of others parcels were delivered to the wrong courrier, who could not deliver it or the others as they were more than 45 mins drive away from the drops

Secondly they arranged with another courrier to pick up the parcels and take them back to the hub. Said person failed to turn up and collect them

Hermes management within the hub refused to return the CEO's office calls. Given that these agents are self employed, why did the manager just ask the courier who wrongly received the packets to take them back and pay them for doing so. After finding out the mess this afternoon why did the senior manager send one of their underlings out in a van to pick said parcels up. 

I think the good thing is they know where the parcells are, the adviser could give me no expectations  (her words) of when it will arrive

I took an item to the Post Office today and told him about the first part, he said originally lost a lot of customers to Hermes, one by one they are all returning to the good old Royal Mail

Why do folk use these people, the Royal Mail are cheaper and quicker. I have found at both my present and previous addresses the Royal Mail are also far more reliable

Edited on 17-1-19

I have changed the title, as the quality of service the company now providing  is so different from a year ago let alone 4 years ago.

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Premium

I took an item to the Post Office today and told him about the first part, he said originally lost a lot of customers to Hermes, one by one they are all returning to the good old Royal Mail

Why do folk use these people, the Royal Mail are cheaper and quicker. I have found at both my present and previous addresses the Royal Mail are also far more reliable

Sorry, your faith in Royal Mail is not shared by those who have to use it in the Streatham area of South London for starters - who have regularly suffered from the same sorts of issues you describe in your dealings with My Hermes.

Down in Sussex on the other hand I have never had a problem with Royal Mail - and neither with My Hermes if truth be told.

As ever with postage / courier companies quality of service is very much down to the local staff / contractor employed. In some areas one operator may be abysmal, but not in others.

• RMweb Premium

My experience of My Hermes on 2 occasions, worse than hopeless. Royal Mail wins hands down here in Somerset.

Though I would say DPD are the top couriers messages all the way to you door, who the driver is how many drops away he/she is options to make a different delivery address right up to delivery, brilliant.

This echoes a recent experience that I had with Hermes,  a package of books left on full view outside the house 'underneath a planter' - said planter is approx 3 bricks high of the floor but with the open area facing the end of the drive. 

When we arrived home I had to clear snow off the package to take it in. Thankfully the sender had wrapped it in plastic so the books were no worse for their experience. I called a number from their website which cut me off before allowing me to talk to anyone directing me to webchat or getting answers to my questions online.

After waiting almost half an hour to chat to someone all I got was platitudes until I asked what they were going to do about it. Eventually after a couple of days someone called me back and advised that the courier wouldn't be allowed to deliver any more parcels until they had been re-trained in how to leave parcels securely.

It came as no surprise when a couple of days later the same person delivered a couple more parcels. I would have bet money that they couldn't have organised any further training that quickly.

If I had retained any faith in them keeping their word it evaporated immediately.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Though I would say DPD are the top couriers messages all the way to you door, who the driver is how many drops away he/she is options to make a different delivery address right up to delivery, brilliant.

Yup, DPD have been excellent for me too

• Like 1

This year my deliveries have been a nightmare.  I have a parcel worth £450 which is currently stranded in Manchester..........................and has been for 5 days, thanks Parcelfarce. The rest are no better except DPD who have always delivered on time. I think I'm going to visit the shops myself in future, that's how bad its been. Looking forward to trips to Cornwall, Widnes, Sheffield, N Wales, although I may just stick to sea-side destinations.........................................and wherever ebay takes me!!!!!

I also had a delivery from Yodel today, perfect no issues at all.

But Hermes is as you put it a nightmare, phone numbers hard to come by.

Their attitude stinks, well leave it a few days, was one bit of advice from their staff, we can arrange a call back but it may take up to 48 hours

Ask to speak with a manager, all you get is I am the highest level in this department who takes calls

I accept that things go wrong, but here we have ad staff including management put false information into the web site. We are not talking about one packet gone astray but a whole delivery !! Then an employee not bother to go and get said items. Management within the company not communicating with each other

Someone at the club thinks DHL have bought them !!

Still I have made it clear I am not happy to be kept waiting. Plus the tracking system has not been altered.

Put my bin out early one Monday morning, on the way to work.

Returned home later and took in my empty wheelie bin.

Looked in the mailbox and found " parcel in grey bin" and the parcel had been left on the Sunday, whilst we were in.

On another occasion a "missing" parcel had been left in our conservatory........we don't have a conservatory !

To their defence the quality of their delivery staff is getting better. I guess when starting off the priority was getting enough staff, which when delivery margins (for the courier) were low ment a lot of unsuitable people were hired. I don't know the economics now but the couriers and their vehicles seem to have improved.

In my case initially as there were 2 unconnected events the case handler went off chasing the wrong route.

It seems to be a clear management failure in not taking full control and ensuring the correct actions were taken. Mistakes do happen, but its how individuals react to resolve them which is important. The second initially event then impacted on the situation by giving false information

The error happened on Saturday, it seems the whole delivery went to the wrong place. It should have been returned the next day, they are a logistics company. I have been told arrangements were made for the delivery to be picked up on Sunday the employee/agent failed to do so. On monday the hub centre management were not returning calls to their own colleagues !!    

Given this is a logistics company, they have had 3 days to resolve this matter. Or at least state the plan they have set in place to resolve this matter. Good job they are not arranging a party at a brewery.

Would I trust them with my parcels !!!  

To be continued later

• RMweb Gold

In logistics, as with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

As a former DPD employee, I am delighted that they get the best recommendations. But it has to be admitted that they are also among the most expensive.

My Hermes and others that use "local agents" are always going to be the least reliable, although, to be fair, here they are usually very good. We have more problems with Royal Mail who often leave parcels in full view down by our gate, even ones that are supposed to be signed for.

In logistics, as with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

As a former DPD employee, I am delighted that they get the best recommendations. But it has to be admitted that they are also among the most expensive.

My Hermes and others that use "local agents" are always going to be the least reliable, although, to be fair, here they are usually very good. We have more problems with Royal Mail who often leave parcels in full view down by our gate, even ones that are supposed to be signed for.

Joseph

Certainly for the normal size of packet used for model railways Hermes are not cheap, hear what you say about Royal Mail but the bigger you are the more issues you have. Hermes unlike the other courier companies seems to be getting worse. In this case their well paid employees are at fault, even more worrying altering the status of the delivery. Thankfully the tracking system once investigated shows a completely different story. 

I have had 4 packets sent to me since the 10th, two have had issues. The other two took 5 days (the service says 3-5 days !!)  

• RMweb Premium

My pet hate at the moment is R.M. Parcel Delivery staff.

I have a sign immediately below the door knocker, saying "Please Ring" and a little doorbell symbol.

I have two doorbell buttons right next to each other, with a note on one saying "Press Both".  (Sets off three doorbells around the house, so I definitely hear them).

A sign on the door, politely asking that parcels be left with a neighbour if no answer.  Do they take any notice?  Dream on.

Just last week I arranged for a redelivery cos' I was at work the first time.  So.......car on drive (good indication someone's in),  postie knocks (not rings) quietly.  Fortunately I hear him (miracle) and despite being sat in a chair maybe 12 feet from the front door, by the time I'm opening said door he's closing the front gate behind him, with parcel still in hand.

All these jokers are interested in is getting back to the depot for early finish or overtime.  Or maybe there's a secret directive to get people to arrange redelivery to the local post office for another 70p.

• RMweb Premium

My pet hate at the moment is R.M. Parcel Delivery staff.

I have a sign immediately below the door knocker, saying "Please Ring" and a little doorbell symbol.

I have two doorbell buttons right next to each other, with a note on one saying "Press Both".  (Sets off three doorbells around the house, so I definitely hear them).

A sign on the door, politely asking that parcels be left with a neighbour if no answer.  Do they take any notice?  Dream on.

Just last week I arranged for a redelivery cos' I was at work the first time.  So.......car on drive (good indication someone's in),  postie knocks (not rings) quietly.  Fortunately I hear him (miracle) and despite being sat in a chair maybe 12 feet from the front door, by the time I'm opening said door he's closing the front gate behind him, with parcel still in hand.

All these jokers are interested in is getting back to the depot for early finish or overtime.  Or maybe there's a secret directive to get people to arrange redelivery to the local post office for another 70p.

Which proves my point. Others on here, including myself, have no issues with our local RM operations.

• RMweb Premium

Funny old world......living up here in a fairly rural location I can't say we've had problems with any delivery people.  Royal Mail and Parcel Force are both very good, the Hermes lady is charming and efficient, the Yodel man is a bit grumpy but efficient, and as others have said DPD is excellent, always delivering within the stated time slot.  Maybe our people aren't under as much pressure as those in the busy urban areas.

DT

• RMweb Premium

Hermes unlike the other courier companies seems to be getting worse. In this case their well paid employees are at fault, even more worrying altering the status of the delivery. Thankfully the tracking system once investigated shows a completely different story.

What makes you think that their employees are well paid?   The couriers certainly don't seem to be.

DT

What makes you think that their employees are well paid?   The couriers certainly don't seem to be.

DT

Torper

Please read what I have written, not what you think

It has been widely reported that the Hermes couriers are self employed contractors, who are paid very little per delivery.

My comment was aimed at their highly paid managers who were supposed to have sorted out this problem, in fact the situation was inflamed by one of them overriding the system to inaccurately claim to have delivered said items. Had that not been done it would have been just another late delivery

The quality of Hermes delivery staff seems to have improved from the initial delivery person where I used to live.  Those I have seen and met recently are better presented people in more professional vehicles. I would prefer that Hermes like other couriers employed their staff, provided them with secure transport, identifiable clothing and employee benefits.

Not having a go at the self employed at all, 

• RMweb Premium

Funny old world......living up here in a fairly rural location I can't say we've had problems with any delivery people.  Royal Mail and Parcel Force are both very good, the Hermes lady is charming and efficient, the Yodel man is a bit grumpy but efficient, and as others have said DPD is excellent, always delivering within the stated time slot.  Maybe our people aren't under as much pressure as those in the busy urban areas.

DT

This rural location in the deep south has good service such that Toper's message above applies equally well here (except that the Hermes courier is a fella, not a lady). Perhaps Hayfield, you would be so kind as to let us all know what your Ebay username is, so that those of us who wish to can add you to the blocker bidder list. I would hate it to happen that you bid on a listing of mine, but don't thoroughly read the description and thereby miss the description part which mentions that stuff is sent out by courier.

Never had any issues with Royal Mail. I have always used them as preference and never been let down

My last two deliveries with RM both had problems, the first was a radiator shelf which was snapped because other parcels had been put on top of the unsupported end (not the first time he had had a problem with RM either, and the second was a non delivery of 6 coaches (so not exactly a small parcel) from Rails, I have only had other problems with Yodel although they seem to have improved lately.

• RMweb Gold

My daughter lives next door to a ex Hermes courier she's as nutty as a fruit cake what does that tell you.  :sarcastic:

That your daughter is as nutty as a fruit cake, and she lives next door to a(n) ex Hermes courier...

Andi

• Like 1

This rural location in the deep south has good service such that Toper's message above applies equally well here (except that the Hermes courier is a fella, not a lady). Perhaps Hayfield, you would be so kind as to let us all know what your Ebay username is, so that those of us who wish to can add you to the blocker bidder list. I would hate it to happen that you bid on a listing of mine, but don't thoroughly read the description and thereby miss the description part which mentions that stuff is sent out by courier.

So you would like me to leave dishonest feedback, I try and be as honest as I can, if the goods are as described (and I am quite generous) five stars, I give 5 stars for postage rates unless the item is really badly packed, (lets face it I have agreed to pay the price asked). I now see eBay have changed the question to despatch time, so unless he has dragged his feet how can I mark him down. Whats more worrying as Hermes has incorrectly stated that the item has been delivered I cannot mark that it was late. It could be calle deception by your beloved company

As it happens a very enthusiastic courier arrived not so long ago, introducing himself as the new agent for the area. Had a different take on the events of the past few days which had nothing to do with him, but he has been left to pick up the pieces. As it happens I have two packets winging their way to me on economy deliveries. The Royal Mails tracking site is very primitive when compared to the likes of Hermes, I would like to wager which one gets here first.

To reassure you due to the deceit of the Hermes staff claiming it had been delivered when it clearly had not I can do nothing, as in answer to the question eBay have asked the seller was 5 star in each section.  

Our local Hermes guy has a phone number to call or text ,a proper van and  a jacket with Hermes on it .My daughter down in posh Surrey has a  named Hermes van and full ilveried driver  with a  Hermes hat  call on her .In both cases the service is fine . :sungum: