Cotton Bud Replacements

It's single-use plastics that are going to be banned, not cotton buds per se.  My experience is that you can't buy plastic-shafted cotton buds any more anyway: all the ones I've bought recently seem to have some kind of cardboard shaft (which does seem to have a tendency to bend rather more easily than the plastic variety IME).  Assuming that the "cotton" on the end is actually a natural fibre then it looks to me as if the manufacturers are ahead of the law makers on this one.  (The lids of the Johnson's pots are still plastic, though, come to think.  The Sainsbury's ones come in all-plastic pots.  So, maybe 8/10 for effort but still needs more work.)

I've no objection to banning single-use plastics, in fact it's a long overdue move IMO.  I just hope that manufacturers are gong to be prepared to put in adequate time, effort and ingenuity to come up alternatives that are (a) properly equivalent in terms of capability and functionality, and (b) don't just create another, different environmental problem.  The human race has put men on the moon (and, more impressively IMO, built an unmanned spacecraft which has successfully flown for forty years from its launch and reached interstellar space) and invented a computer that you can carry in your pocket and make video calls with.  Finding appropriate replacements for single-use plastics should not beyond the capabilities of mankind, provided that people set about if for the right reasons, not purely greed and avarice.

To put it another way: what Kris said.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

All cotton buds used to have cardboard tubes in the middle and wood (similar to cocktail sticks) has probably been used too (it certainly is in the jumbo versions sold for computer cleaning).

There's no risk of cotton buds becoming unavailable, it's just the currently common plastic ones that should/will disappear.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Thanks folks, until I read this thread I had assumed my Waitrose (I like to be posh, you see) cotton bud sticks were plastic; but on reading the box (which sadly is plastic) I find the tips are 100% cotton and the 'sticks' are 100% paper. 

As ejstubbs says, it seems the manufacturers are way ahead of government policy. 

Also this year I have noticed certain mailed magazines appearing in translucent bags with 'compostable' printed on them, rather than the old plastic bags they used to appear in. The National Trust magazine, and a wild bird food catalogue came in this form recently. I believe most manufacturers are trying to source these materials which is a good sign. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In a kind-of-related-way, there is a growing campaign to reduce, or even stop, the use of cotton in garments, etc., due to the fact that it is (apparently) extremely water intensive to produce, not just in the field, but in the refining, spinning, etc., and involves the use of a disproportionate amount of pesticides and fertilisers.

So in future, our humble "cotton bud" may continue to exist, but not as we know it......

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/about_freshwater/freshwater_problems/thirsty_crops/cotton/

https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/care-what-you-wear-facts-cotton-clothing-production

*DISCLAIMER: One is not endorsing either of the above articles, just suggesting they may be an interesting read

Beware plastic bags labelled as compostable

Years ago and I mean early 90's as a plastics producer we were offered lots of additives to make our product compost

What they meant was it would allow the plastic to break down into smaller and smaller pieces

Or as we now call them micro plastics :-(

Colin

As someone who is responsible for keeping our local beach clean, I welcome any legislation that will reduce plastic waste finding its way into the sea. Sensible disposal of bale wrapping and detritus from the fishing industry would help too!

• Like 2

Beware plastic bags labelled as compostable

Years ago and I mean early 90's as a plastics producer we were offered lots of additives to make our product compost

What they meant was it would allow the plastic to break down into smaller and smaller pieces

Or as we now call them micro plastics :-(

Colin

Kitchen waste in LB of Harrow has to go in small green plastic bags which are compostable. It seems that they are made of soap which I find both odd and interesting. How is soap made into a material which which has the appearance of plastic?

• RMweb Premium

I think that plastic bags based on soap is unlikely.  More likely to be starch - and now for the nasty bit.  Starch based polymers are not flexible.  They set like Bakelite.   To make them flexible to make bags they add polyester or similar fibres - which are not biodegradable - up to 49%.  So when your biodegradable bag rots down it leaves lots and lots of plastic microfibers which do not rot down. 

The absolute best cotton buds for cleaning wheels etc are from Muji. They are thinner than the usual ones you get, have a "paper" shaft and if you buy the refill pack they are in a card container. 200 for £2.95.

Well, having just waded through this I'm just going to sit naked and use finger nail clippings when I next put a model on my workbench !

Harry Chrishna

• Like 1

Interesting.

I'm all for reducing plastics but then the box of cotton buds I have lasted me about 2 years so maybe I haven't seen if they've changed the tubing holding it together.

To be fair, the Johnsons ones I just looked at do have paper tubes.

I wonder if Asda own brand do and I just thought they were plastic.

• Like 1

Aldi were still selling plastic shafted cotton buds last time I was in. 35p for 200 I think. 

I only throw the cotton wool bit out. The plastic tube makes a nice pipe wagon load or can be used for all sorts of scenic shenanigins. 

Andy 

• RMweb Premium

The time to worry is when they ban plastic model trains.....

Welcome back Hornby Dublo?

(3 rail of course, without plastic in the track)

Edit maybe Peco will bring out real wooden track... :scratchhead:

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1