Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

Hornby to announce replacement of single use plastic packaging. Perhaps all their goods will be compostible, including the actual models?

To be a bit more serious, in fact I would like to see many of the MR goods packed in less plastic (e.g Peco Station Concrete Fronts, some Bachmann accessories and Dapol RTR Signals and many of the wagons and vans available). Coaches and Loco's are, perhaps, a little more delicate? 

Phil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby to announce replacement of single use plastic packaging. Perhaps all their goods will be compostible, including the actual models?

To be a bit more serious, in fact I would like to see many of the MR goods packed in less plastic (e.g Peco Station Concrete Fronts, some Bachmann accessories and Dapol RTR Signals and many of the wagons and vans available). Coaches and Loco's are, perhaps, a little more delicate? 

Phil 

Ratio wagon kits have always come in cardboard packets (as did Slaters when they were available) and I half expected Peco to re-launch the Parkside range similarly boxed. Wills building sheets could just as easily be packed in a sturdy manilla envelope as the bubble pack.

As for Hornby, substituting papier-mâché mouldings (think egg trays) for the plastic inner linings ought to be a quick fix. The plastic window in the box isn't that vital either - locos have it blocked off with a card insert bearing a CGI picture of the model anyway......... 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Also Siemens supply bogies to other builders. My money is still on a 195/331 (the drawing looks identical to the layout of a 331)

Not on these fleets they don't!  :angel:  The bogies for Northern are CAF's own, manufactured at their Beasain facility (bogies trenes!).

• RMweb Gold

Haven't these announcements usually resulted in a model being on the market fairly quickly thereafter (I mean quickly in Hornby terms as opposed to quickly in Bachmann terms). 

In which case, when were they measuring the Princess Royal? And would this give them sufficient time to tool up a totally new model?

My guess (assuming I'm wrong and it isn't some NON-corridor GWR coaching stock) is a new range of trains aimed at youngsters to be know as Tommy the tank engine (which would bear no similarlity whatsoever to Thomas).

Continental Drift is fast compared to Bachmann.

• RMweb Gold

If there’s a unit that runs between Oxford and Margate then my bets on that :-)

Shouldn't that be Swansea and Margate?  Oxford Models are made in Swansea.

I would have liked to have seen an upgrade to the A27/30 auto trailer with better bogies; it still carries the original Airfix ones with moulded brake blocks clawing uselessly at fresh air about a scale 9 inches out of line with the wheel treads.  Don't tell me that this is done to facilitate conversion to EM, I'm not 'avin' it.

Plastic packaging is a field that can be improved on by all the RTR manufacturers; I reckon a cardboard box with a cellophane window to view the model and card inserts including the tubular pieces to protect the couplers is adequate in probably all cases.  Although to be fair some of the clear plastic gets recycled as glazing on my layout.

• RMweb Premium

If it's to be a modern MU train, and I hope it is, then I really hope it'll be an Electrostar given how many passengers rely on that family and also because I think they're good looking trains that have carried a wide range of liveries.

• RMweb Gold

Please let it be the new Class 397 for TPE

attachicon.gifClass 397.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks modern express units increasingly fit the stereotype formerly attributed to GWR locomotives, and all look much the same.

Apart from being a decent colour instead of sludge green, and (perhaps) having doors in slightly different places, that looks almost indistinguishable from an 800* to me. 

John

* EDIT, I've just read up a bit more on them and it seems there's a very good reason for that. :jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling

Am I the only one who thinks modern express units increasingly fit the stereotype formerly attributed to GWR locomotives, and all look much the same.

Apart from being a decent colour instead of sludge green, and (perhaps) having doors in slightly different places, that looks almost indistinguishable from an 800* to me. 

John

* EDIT, I've just read up a bit more on them and it seems there's a very good reason for that. :jester:

I often wondered why they need so many variants too - must make keeping spares a nightmare. Even back in BR days when they were based around mk 1 stock. At least BR managed to settle down on a coupling system.

It should be possible to have just one universal design, keep it as such for 10 to 15 years and then more to a more modern advanced design. I can understand that you will need differences for those running distances and those starting and stopped every few hundred yards to merit major variations. But some look so minor  that there impact in day to day usage won't really be noticed but their impact on maintaining them or managing them to certain areas only is huge.

The shared drawing, with its width of 2.65m and doors slightly proud of the sides matches Docklands Light Railway stock.  In fact, I'm going to go further and say it's B07 stock.  Why?  Because I found a pdf diagram released under the Freedom of Information Act, and it's a match.  See the left hand end.

Sorry to spoil the fun!  Still, the drawing could be a red herring!

1 728 01 00 00 0 00 0 DRW 04 000 1.pdf

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The shared drawing, with its width of 2.65m and doors slightly proud of the sides matches Docklands Light Railway stock.  In fact, I'm going to go further and say it's B07.  Why?  Because I found a pdf diagram released under the Freedom of Information Act, and it's a match.  See the left hand end.

attachicon.gif1 728 01 00 00 0 00 0 DRW 04 000 1.pdf

Brilliant detective work! I'm kind of hoping it is a red herring , as if true it would be of fairly limited use Also they must have had to develop a special low floor chassis. I suppose it could be a start to other tram systems though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The shared drawing, with its width of 2.65m and doors slightly proud of the sides matches Docklands Light Railway stock.  In fact, I'm going to go further and say it's B07 stock.  Why?  Because I found a pdf diagram released under the Freedom of Information Act, and it's a match.  See the left hand end.

attachicon.gif1 728 01 00 00 0 00 0 DRW 04 000 1.pdf

That would certainly be something wow and different enough to justify a special announcement. I can't see new tooling or upgrades of existing models would warrant that treatment, except perhaps a Princess Royal in view of the impending nuptials.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as I can tell, most British light rail uses the 2.65m width.  Certainly that's true for the first few I looked up, namely Croydon, Newcastle and Manchester.

In Hornby's situation, I doubt that they are going to produce something that almost no one will buy without having to start a completely new layout.

Edited by Vistiaen

If it's a DLR train, it could be in partnership with the LT museum.  Such a commission would carry low risk to Hornby, and it's probably a more manageable souvenir/display case model than the S stock is.

....... anyone know whether Peco are working on a bottom-contact third rail system ?

• RMweb Premium

You've clearly uncovered the correct picture Rich . Isn't the DLR tendering for new stock to replace older vehicles . Wouldn't this replace the B07 stock or are they continuing?