Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

Hornby's last boss should have done a deal with Ladbrock's. With different odds, we can all place bets.

I say

Class 86  15:1

Apt-p       25:1

Fell 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000:1

With those odds I could put a penny on and then do a deal with Hornby and we'd all be in profit.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at my workbench it will be either LMS 57' Vestibule stock, I'm currently about to start a rake of brass etch conversions that have been in the 'To Do' box for a while, or it will be the LMS Push-pull of which I am just about to complete Period 2 and Period 3 versions.

Freight-wise I think the only thing in the stash which the RTR boys haven't done at the moment is the Catfish and a decent Dancehall Brake.

Now if they produced some good GWR non-corridor stock and a decent Collett Auto Coach in early BR livery it may work out a bit expensive for me.

Ah, GW non-corridor stock; I cannot realistically see any RTR manufacturer producing anything other than more bloody B sets during this century.  B sets tick all the boxes for them; a self contained train with only one tooling.  Other Colletts or Hawkworths are a minefield of different frame lengths, window distribution, ends, and bogies, not to mention the 1955 auto trailer conversions, and are a bit of a niche market; most GW/WR modellers go for pretty branch lines (for which B sets are ideal) or main lines, not the suburban services on which such stock as you are suggesting mostly appeared.  There is no Hornby loco in the current range suitable for hauling them, as the large prairie is taking a rest, though of course they might be considering re-introducing it as undercut competition for the upcoming Dapol.  

Similarly, there is not much chance of an improvement on the A27/30 hybrid auto trailer. though this is I believe available in crimson/cream.  The attitude is likely to be that they have a model on the market which is selling, so why bother with the new tooling to upgrade it.  I wish they would at least put current standard bogies under it, though; I am annoyed by those brake blocks clawing uselessly at fresh air miles out of alignment with the wheel treads.  At least it is cheap!

Much as I would like to see non gangwayed GW compartment stock, or a better auto trailer, I just don't think Hornby see things our way, Signal Engineer.

• Like 1

Ah, GW non-corridor stock; I cannot realistically see any RTR manufacturer producing anything other than more bloody B sets during this century.  B sets tick all the boxes for them; a self contained train with only one tooling.  Other Colletts or Hawkworths are a minefield of different frame lengths, window distribution, ends, and bogies, not to mention the 1955 auto trailer conversions, and are a bit of a niche market; most GW/WR modellers go for pretty branch lines (for which B sets are ideal) or main lines, not the suburban services on which such stock as you are suggesting mostly appeared.  There is no Hornby loco in the current range suitable for hauling them, as the large prairie is taking a rest, though of course they might be considering re-introducing it as undercut competition for the upcoming Dapol.  

Similarly, there is not much chance of an improvement on the A27/30 hybrid auto trailer. though this is I believe available in crimson/cream.  The attitude is likely to be that they have a model on the market which is selling, so why bother with the new tooling to upgrade it.  I wish they would at least put current standard bogies under it, though; I am annoyed by those brake blocks clawing uselessly at fresh air miles out of alignment with the wheel treads.  At least it is cheap!

Much as I would like to see non gangwayed GW compartment stock, or a better auto trailer, I just don't think Hornby see things our way, Signal Engineer.

You say that. But how many SR rebuilt ex LSWR 58 foot carriages were there?

3 of the 4 diagrams Hornby produced added up to 15. 5 of those carriages are virtually useless as they don't make the other coach to go with them. That leaves five 2 car sets that worked on relatively obscure branchlines in the South West. The rest were loose and used as strengtheners.

Yet Hornby have sold loads of them. You just need enough to make a typical set and people will buy them.

Jason

N scale anybody ????????????

I'd like that, but not much left to do. They could however do the IEP, Class 87, Class 90, Class 91, Class 143 and quite a few DMUs, steam locos and EMUs. All the low hanging fruit has been picked up already.

Maybe it's the IEP and IET in N gauge.

I’m convinced that’s the first class section of a class 700. Makes sense for someone to make them given they will soon be covering from Cambridge and St Albans through to Brighton and Littlehampton.

Interesting to know what's convincing in a DLR unit's drawing making it a Class 700??  :jester:

And I must say, excellent work by Taigatrommel...

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Imagine that in DCC sound.

I am reliably informed (e.g a bloke behind a layout at an exhibition once told me) that it has been done....

(Edited to add since this was a few days ago and not obvious from the quote above that this referred to the excellent suggestion of a DCC sound Ivor the Engine doing the appropriate Oliver Postgate sound effects)

Edited by Coryton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But Ivor The Engine would be quite satisfactory with the current basic 0-4-0 chassis.

What they might should do, with all the "child friendly" stuff mentioned in ditching TTTE, is expand the Junior range.  Personally, I'd suggest they make the Junior range more sophisticated with a remote control and onboard electronic (not TTS) sound, magnetic coupling rather than the fragile plastic affair on last winters effort and simple points to allow something a bit better than a boring plastic oval.

In other words a Hornby version of Marklin "My World". Everything that Hornby Junior isn't. Apart from the British outline aspects, such as they are, with the current Hornby offering.

In other words a Hornby version of Marklin "My World". Everything that Hornby Junior isn't. Apart from the British outline aspects, such as they are, with the current Hornby offering.

Correct. 

Junior is hobbled and basic to the point of pointlessness.  Apart from sound effects, the Marklin locos can do 3 speeds in forward and reverse.  Unlike Junior that goes one way only and you have to dab a button on the roof of the power vehicle to start and stop it. Then there's Juniors cardboard tunnel and station building, and the rather silly trees and overhead "pylons". Compare that with the buildings, infrastructure, locos and rolling stock that Marklin have developed. It really does constitute a world of play opportunities. Hornby either need to drop Junior completely or actually develop it into something that has decent play value, seeing as Thomas is on his way out. 

It doesn't have to be produced expensively, just with thought and coherence. They've got the Junior brand, now they need to run with it.

Don't see it happening though!

• RMweb Gold

There is no Hornby loco in the current range suitable for hauling them, as the large prairie is taking a rest, though of course they might be considering re-introducing it as undercut competition for the upcoming Dapol.

Bachmann do some locos that would be right for hauling them, though.

• RMweb Gold

Without knowing the actual earnings splits, one can't be sure, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if the announcement turned out to be of a more definite emphasis on Hornby's role as a premium producer of higher-end model trains.

If a company can only obtain/afford a finite number of production slots, it makes sense to use them for those products that earn the best margins.

Ditching the TTTE franchise may well be the thin end of the wedge with Railroad and Junior conceivably being rethought and/or hived off under the Oxford banner.

Perhaps the non-viability of continuing with TTTE is symptomatic of an overall decline in the toy / entry level segments of the market.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Now they are testing the 12t van I think that it will be a full range of TTS rolling stock such as MK1 BG With guard whistle, GWR Toad with clattering milk churns for the branch line and cattle vans that moo!

But will the cattle have the right moo?

I'm reliably informed (by QI) that animals have regional accents so I don't want any of them to have the wrong moo.

Or whatever noise a giraffe makes.....

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I have just heard theat Hornby have developed a 'smellerator' to go with the Sound Van. Not only could we have Cattle Van moo, but the smell of Cattle Van poo. Various fluids are going to available with further batches coming on stream if the idea is a success.

Iva Stench

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

With Hornby in financial difficulties and "breaching it's contract" with Barclays, I wouldn't be surprised if the company is reconsidering who their target audience is. With a discerning lack of interest in railway modelling for the younger generations in light of the digitisation and advancement of the internet games industry, perhaps it's time Hornby change their image. The Thomas and Friends range was a good decision and one which allows Hornby to focus on their medium to premium range. Of course they need to keep an open demographic for the future but in my opinion, they should focus on highly detailed models that the consumer wants or ensures high profits for them. The modified Coronation class was a step in the right direction, one can only hope Hornbys future is long and prosperous. Cheers

Rory

Edited by FJ1701
  • Like 4

Could it be that the 14xx chassis have been reworked and the models will be here on or after 8th May?

That would be nice, but I wouldn't have thought Hornby would make so much of a drama for that....

Am I the only one who thinks modern express units increasingly fit the stereotype formerly attributed to GWR locomotives, and all look much the same.

Apart from being a decent colour instead of sludge green, and (perhaps) having doors in slightly different places, that looks almost indistinguishable from an 800* to me. 

John

* EDIT, I've just read up a bit more on them and it seems there's a very good reason for that. :jester:

* Don't think so - the 397 is a CAF EMU, the 800 is a Hitachi Bi-mode.

I'm wondering if all this about new models is wide of the mark.Monday May the 8th is a Bank Holiday so what better date to drop a new story about Hornby s Finances and or ownership?

Remember Hornby s Finances are needing sorting out and a Bank Holiday means delayed reactions in the financial markets.

Just an idea

I'm wondering if all this about new models is wide of the mark.Monday May the 8th is a Bank Holiday so what better date to drop a new story about Hornby s Finances and or ownership?

Remember Hornby s Finances are needing sorting out and a Bank Holiday means delayed reactions in the financial markets.

Just an idea

Anything is possible. But the original 'exiting news' Facebook post suggests that whatever is said is expected to create a positive reaction.