• RMweb Premium

I was talking to a Freightliner driver manager (so he said) at Peterborough yesterday and he told me that they’d had several meetings regarding the relivery. From I understand, the Class 86’s won’t be repainted as they are getting towards the end of their usefulness and Freightlner are eying up the fifteen Class 90’s once released from Greater Anglia.

As per the Class 70’s, their future with Freightliner is not so clear as they have not given the economies promised but they will probably hang onto them as they are on “power by the hour” contracts, so Freightliner only pays for them as and when their used. So them sitting in a long line at Midland Rd isn’t going to cost them except re-diagramming other loco’s to cover them.

Make of this as you want as I always have a element of doubt when hearing stories like this.

With Freightliner overhauling the bogies on the 86’s to give them another 15 odd years I can’t see them getting rid.

GP38s are decent locos 66s are bloody awful things, by far the worst loco from a drivers point of view to run in this country for many years

Not the first time I've heard something like that, but not being a driver I can only judge on the appearance and sound, and in that sense they've grown on me.

You able to compare to a 59?

• RMweb Gold

Haven't had much to do with 59s but blokes I've spoken to who have say they are infinitely superior to 66s.

For a start the power unit isn't rigidity bolted to the frame like a 66 which is one of the causes of excess interior noise

The 16 cylinder 645 in the 59 vibrates at a different frequency to the 12 cylinder 710 in a 66 too which helps things. The 59s are simple and showing their age a little, but solidly put together, doors close the first time etc and aren't quite as loud in the cabs. Less rattles on them too!

Jo

• Like 1

I have a love , hate thing with sheds. Just as I got “ into “trains again the classic traction started to go.

Therefore hobbywise, the sheds have been the ying yang in the background of my life for 20 years taking me through redundancy ( twice ), marriage ( once )kids ( 2) and layouts ( numerous )......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With Freightliner overhauling the bogies on the 86’s to give them another 15 odd years I can’t see them getting rid.

Overhauling the bogies alone won’t give them another 15 years of life as this guy said that certain spares are now becoming difficult to obtain. They have enough to last awhile but as individual loco’s start to suffer serious failures or issues, they will be stopped, robbed to keep the rest of the fleet active.

The Greater Anglia Class 90’s heading to Freightliner once their off lease is probably credible as it’s been mentioned here on several forums and websites.

Keep hearing rumours of possibilities of tri-mode locos at some point in the future. Don't know what if any plans for the widespread relivery of locos there is. But G&w are a big company and if they want the freightliner fleet to go orange they will. Our uniform will be changing soon as well...

Keep hearing rumours of possibilities of tri-mode locos at some point in the future. Don't know what if any plans for the widespread relivery of locos there is. But G&w are a big company and if they want the freightliner fleet to go orange they will. Our uniform will be changing soon as well...

Is the new ownership seen as a positive thing ?

• RMweb Gold

Well you’d better get used to the 66s, I can’t see any replacement soon. Unfortunately driver comfort is probably a low part of the spec.

I worked for a company that had loads of them so I jumped ship and now rarely get on the bloody things which is good

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Overhauling the bogies alone won’t give them another 15 years of life as this guy said that certain spares are now becoming difficult to obtain. They have enough to last awhile but as individual loco’s start to suffer serious failures or issues, they will be stopped, robbed to keep the rest of the fleet active.

The Greater Anglia Class 90’s heading to Freightliner once their off lease is probably credible as it’s been mentioned here on several forums and websites.

Only quoting what was said by a Freightliner spokesperson. Time will tell, but information shared indicates they currently have a medium term future with the company. Given the cost of the overhauls, I’d be surprised if such expenditure was being proposed for a few years, especially as once done with Freightliner it will probably be the scrap merchant. That said, there has been a market for these machines abroad, maybe spares are not as hard to come by as we may think, or re-engineering actually takes place. As I say, time will tell.

Personally I’d like them to keep the 86’s and take on the 90’s but that’s wishful thinking on my part.

Is the new ownership seen as a positive thing ?

They do have the buying power and the money. When they first took over they were quite hands off but this last year or so they have got more involved in things and I think that will increase as time goes on. It’s better than having companies that don’t invest in and just want to make some money and disappear

• Like 1

86/6s will be around for much longer than is expected.

They'll outlive me, that's for sure and if they don't receive the new livery then I'm a Dutchman.

Regarding spares, 86229 and 86251 will provide much of this and 86901 before that.

Not sure why the 87s were declined a few years back at a reputed £70k/loco but there you go.

90s aren't a quick fix. There are restrictions on them working in pairs in certain areas, this doesn't apply to 86s, as I understand it this is due to A. Grandfather Rights and B. Current draw.

Edited by E3109

• RMweb Premium

Do Freightliner own the 86’s? I know they owned their fleet then sold it to Generate some capital. The 66’s and 70’s are leased as are the 90’s but I wasn’t sure about the situation with the 86’s.

Some may se them as old, but they have stood the test of time. As others have now said, they will be with us for some time.

Another nice picture of the Class 66 here on the "The Railway Centre" website as the picture of the day for 6th August 2018.

http://www.railway-centre.com/uploads/7/2/2/3/7223531/pod-06-08-18_orig.jpg

pod-06-08-18_orig.jpg

And I've got to say, that scene is a beautiful one to depict on a layout or diorama. Whether you have train set curves or nice sweeping gentle curves, this is a scene to depict!

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 4

Another nice picture of the Class 66 here on the "The Railway Centre" website as the picture of the day for 6th August 2018.

http://www.railway-centre.com/uploads/7/2/2/3/7223531/pod-06-08-18_orig.jpg

pod-06-08-18_orig.jpg

And I've got to say, that scene is a beautiful one to depict on a layout or diorama. Whether you have train set curves or nice sweeping gentle curves, this is a scene to depict!

You’d have to respray a 66 first, before you add a manky canal...

This is hardly a surprise as those in the know have been talking about a major rebranding and livery change since Genesee & Wyoming's acquisition of Freightliner.  G&W have always reliveried their assets within a few years and it's a shame that it clashes with Colas, but as modellers and railfans, we'll get over it  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:

I'm also glad that I've only got the one Freightliner loco which just happens to be green  :D  :D  :D

If you have locos of both companies next to each other, will one of them have to wear their away kit to avoid a clash?

I vote in that case for purple and lime green. Readers in BS3 will understand.

Simon