CSX "dark future" paint is pretty close to rail blue (though a much more pleasant shade of blue).

G&W orange looks pretty good on a shed.

Yes, I forgot about CSX.

I think you meant "G&W orange looks pretty good on a garden shed".

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Premium

If we have to be inflicted by this American styling on our network, can we paint some of their locos in Large Logo Blue?

I think Railfreight grey with red stripe would look pretty good on US locos.

(Where's that spare GP38 I have...…………)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Not sure about the black light clusters or the grey moustache look to the roof above the windscreens, I reckon that panel would've looked better orange, but overall I reckon it's OK. Interesting the numbers look a similar style to DB

Jo

Looks very smart. I'm finding that 66s (and 59s) are increasing their appeal generally, and once I got over the initial shock of the lairy paint I've grown to like the G&W orange.

Particularly on a GP38, but also on that.

Guest teacupteacup

L

I think Railfreight grey with red stripe would look pretty good on US locos.

(Where's that spare GP38 I have...…………)

Like this Mick?

I wonder if the 86s will get this scheme. That'll be interesting.

I prefer this to the droopy chest clinic phlegm yellow and snot green livery which made no attempt to co-ordinate with the rolling stock, but seemed to be purposely designed to make the Class 70 "Fuglies" look even more ridiculous. The new livery looks like it will suit any type of traction and seems well proportioned.

• Like 1

I always thought the Freightliner livery was the most attractive of the privatisation freight liveries. Certainly suited the slab-sided 66s a lot better than the garish EWS one.

I always thought the Freightliner livery was the most attractive of the privatisation freight liveries. Certainly suited the slab-sided 66s a lot better than the garish EWS one.

Ah, but which one? The first one derived from the Railfreight triple grey livery was good, the green with yellow ends angled at 45 degrees was less so, the angled yellow ends cut through bodyside details in a clumsy way and the shade of green weathered badly, but if the design had been modified slightly to take into account bodyside detailing and the green darkened it could have looked good, but the current swoopy version introduced on the Class 70s was awful, the typeface used for the logotype was dreadful, weak and unattractive, the swooping curved transitions between the yellow, green and flash of silver were badly designed and didn't work, not only looking peculiar on most locos but the shape felt wrong - it might have worked as a monodirectional swoop but it forms an elongated "S" shape which feels clumsy.

I must admit I never liked the EWS lightning flash design used on the 66 and 67, but the maroon was good and the straight-through stripe used on older non-GM locos was good, more restrained and purposeful. I personally don't mind curves and swoops on passenger units but swoops on freight locos looks pretentious and when the swooping curves don't know whether they are going one way or another, it just makes the locos look like a cheap fairground ride.

• RMweb Gold

I was talking to a Freightliner driver manager (so he said) at Peterborough yesterday and he told me that they’d had several meetings regarding the relivery. From I understand, the Class 86’s won’t be repainted as they are getting towards the end of their usefulness and Freightlner are eying up the fifteen Class 90’s once released from Greater Anglia.

As per the Class 70’s, their future with Freightliner is not so clear as they have not given the economies promised but they will probably hang onto them as they are on “power by the hour” contracts, so Freightliner only pays for them as and when their used. So them sitting in a long line at Midland Rd isn’t going to cost them except re-diagramming other loco’s to cover them.

Make of this as you want as I always have a element of doubt when hearing stories like this.

• RMweb Gold

Looks very smart. I'm finding that 66s (and 59s) are increasing their appeal generally, and once I got over the initial shock of the lairy paint I've grown to like the G&W orange.

Particularly on a GP38, but also on that.

GP38s are decent locos 66s are bloody awful things, by far the worst loco from a drivers point of view to run in this country for many years