Most of us have to wear the full tango gear when we work in to places like Basford Hall (CCTV is almost everywhere in there now), Stud Farm Quarry, Toton etc, so as far as PPE goes it'll just be a logo change.

• Like 1

I'm just glad BR didn't repaint Jubilees, Scots 9F's etc so frequently - I've thought of modernising my layout to the current time, but my local trains have had four livery changes in two years.

I have no idea how anybody manages to keep track of the modern scene, never mind model it.!!

I expect some on here hate the new livery simply because it's from a USA Railroad company. Like the EWS livery was... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hate most new liveries in this country primarily because that self appointed idiot that does s lot for the TOCs loves swirls which suit virtually no British train but this livery isn't actually too bad

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is hardly a surprise as those in the know have been talking about a major rebranding and livery change since Genesee & Wyoming's acquisition of Freightliner.  G&W have always reliveried their assets within a few years and it's a shame that it clashes with Colas, but as modellers and railfans, we'll get over it  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:

I'm also glad that I've only got the one Freightliner loco which just happens to be green  :D  :D  :D

I wonder what will happen to the 70s? 

G&W are big fans of GM/EMD products and have rapidly eliminated and replaced GE locos on US shortlines that they have acquired.

(There are various platform end rumours of FL wanting rid of them)

Cheers,

MIck

Edited by newbryford

As a Colas employee and the original purveyors of the striking orange black and yellow livery I think we’ll be ok.

The cost of freightliner re liverying their many hundreds of locos is not only significant but a cost the current freight environment can’t afrord. You might see a loco in all over orange with a yellow swoosh but I doubt you’ll see more then that. More likely green locos with the new logo.

I wonder what will happen to the 70s?

G&W are big fans of GM/EMD products and have rapidly eliminated and replaced GE locos on US shortlines that they have acquired.

(There are various platform end rumours of FL wanting rid of them)

Cheers,

MIck

G&W have owned the business for some time, I believe. I imagine the 70s will last until something better becomes available, which will probably be quite a while. EMD don't have a product suitable for the UK at the moment do they?

Do they run EMDs in Australia?

Not keen on the new livery, and particularly the new logo.  But looking at the positives:

Another new livery for manufacturers....(but an expensive time for modellers!).  {Bachmann's Freightliner Class 90 is already out of date! LOL!!!) 

In the days when yellow fronts are no longer needed, a-la TPE, the new livery is a whole warning panel!

Will be interesting what colour wagons get painted........

Regards,

• RMweb Premium

Not keen on the new livery, and particularly the new logo.  But looking at the positives:

Another new livery for manufacturers....(but an expensive time for modellers!).  {Bachmann's Freightliner Class 90 is already out of date! LOL!!!) 

In the days when yellow fronts are no longer needed, a-la TPE, the new livery is a whole warning panel!

Will be interesting what colour wagons get painted........

Regards,

Please remember that the ability to not have a yellow warning Pannel is conditional with the loco / MU having headlights that comply EXACTLY with the current group standards in ALL respects.

Thus EVERYTHING Freightliner own still needs yellow as even the 70s probably don't comply in some tiny way.

G&W have owned the business for some time, I believe. I imagine the 70s will last until something better becomes available, which will probably be quite a while. EMD don't have a product suitable for the UK at the moment do they?

Do they run EMDs in Australia?

EMD(Caterpillar) haven't got a US spec loco in the market place at the moment due newish emmisions rules hence CSX and NS running big rebuild programmes on EMD platforms. GE have mopped up alot of orders as a result. As for the G&W livery change for Freightliner the coperate colours(colors?)have been around for 40 years plus in their current form with the name going back to 1899! Net income last year of $549m.

EMD(Caterpillar) haven't got a US spec loco in the market place at the moment due newish emmisions rules hence CSX and NS running big rebuild programmes on EMD platforms. GE have mopped up alot of orders as a result. As for the G&W livery change for Freightliner the coperate colours(colors?)have been around for 40 years plus in their current form with the name going back to 1899! Net income last year of $549m.

EMD is now part of Progress Rail and they have a tier 4 loco available now, the EMD SD70ACE - T4 which uses the 1010 engine.

Whether this could be made to fit the UK loading gauge is the big question.

• 2 months later...