Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

And not only were there production variations, Freightliner (at least) have modified some of the earlier light clusters to later LED types.

Credit to Hattons for trying to do the variations as best they can.

• Like 1

The BMAC light cluster looks about right to my eyes. I guess the black surround creates the optical illusion that both the head and tail light apertures are the same size. They aren't! 

Really liking the look of this!

Kind regards, 

Matt

post-27099-0-21161500-1535643750_thumb.jpg

post-27099-0-47434400-1535643770_thumb.jpg

I’m a little bothered by the sandpipes. Whilst I can appreciate that they can’t be continuous because of the unrealistic bogie swing, I think that they look very odd terminating in mid-air. In addition, the pipes leading from the inner sandboxes are thicker than the corresponding pipes on the bogies and the latter look hopelessly fragile.

Perhaps the inner ones leading from the sandboxes would look better if they ended where they part company with the fuel tank instead of sticking out and the ones on the inner ends of the bogies were attached to the rear of the bogie frames (for strength) and stopped there, rather as the outer ones appear to be. The pipes from the outer sandboxes could be omitted altogether.

I’m curious to know what others think.

Have I correctly understood the phrase "rotating axleboxes"?

On the prototype the triangular "axle end/axleboxes" actually rotate with the axle. Will this triangular "axle end/axlebox" actually rotate on the model?

I suppose that the term “axlebox” is inaccurate here; it would be odd if the axleboxes rotated. I believe that the intention is for the axle-end covers to rotate, as we have been told they will on Dapol’s 59. I think it might be difficult to achieve but they are such a prominent feature of the real things that they will be very welcome.

Many years ago, I thought it a pity that they didn’t rotate on Bachmann’s 66 but thought it too much to expect. Now here we are* – bingo!  :imsohappy:

* Almost.

• Like 1

The pipes from the outer sandboxes could be omitted altogether.

I’m curious to know what others think.

Hmmm, not sure about that personally, I think the Bachmann model caters for 'no pipes' already...?  ;)  *cough* 

I believe that part of the point of the model is to include many of the details that the Bachmann one failed to do so?  I agree that the pipes look fragile, but then so are a lot of additions on any model, and to be fair they are quite a prominent feature of the prototype.  Agreed that the gap is always going to look a little odd, but not sure what could realistically be done about that?  Looking at it from another viewpoint, if the pipes are included and offend any modeller then I guess he/she is free to remove them after purchase?

If it is so that the pipes are particularly fragile then maybe 'spares in a bag' might be a possibility?

Edited by YesTor

Looking at those cab windows, I think what makes the Hattons sample look odd, is the curved window/grometted window (?) is squashed both, if you look carefully, the left hand pane of the main window is slightly wider than the right hand side .. very odd! id say probably around 0.5-0.8mm wider at a guess? the grometted window also looks like it could do with stretching out ever so slightly also to reduce the squashed look.. minor dimensional inaccuracies but if these are addressed that could result in a more accurate cabside window area...

Bachmanns' model has the illusion that the framed window is too big, but that may possibly be because of the very thin frame moulded into the glazing that gives it that look...

NL

• RMweb Premium

What are the views on slightly overscale flexible pipes that would be strong enough and would indeed link the body to the bogie?

I go with Hattons view on the sandpipes. Only those with the gentlest of model curves (probably far less than 0-1% of modellers) would be able to accommodate flexible pipes between bogie and body

If I want to have it as a shelf model, I would fit cosmetic pipes. 

What are the views on slightly overscale flexible pipes that would be strong enough and would indeed link the body to the bogie?

I think Hatton’s has said that it’s not practical. Given that, what I'm wondering about is the best way of representing the pipes. At the moment, they look odd to me. Their delicacy is a secondary consideration.

... what I'm wondering about is the best way of representing the pipes.

Analyse it.

The pipes need to go from a body mounted location to a bogie frame which will move well beyond prototype relative to the body.

For operational purposes the pipe link therefore cannot be permanent.

What about a pipe link that can break and restore?

Flexible ferromagnetic wire, neodymium magnet in the bogie frame.

Breaks apart when bogie movement is too great, 'snaps' back when bogie frame moves close to striaght track aligment.

• Like 1

Think the pipes are going to be a bit "Marmite", personally I raised the issue with Hattons, but they said they cannot get it any better, and have looked at various options.

Only other thing I have noticed - is the lack of "text" on the cast bogies (but are on the 3D prints).  Also, bogies look a little too crisp and sharp, for a cast item.  But then again, maybe it wouldn't look "right" if they looked rough.  

Regards,

C.

Well when you post pictures and invite comments that's what you get. If you are aiming for a model that is better than the current one it pays to ask. For those people who work on them or photograph them some things stand out whether it's windows grilles or pipework. It's not as if we are asking for newspapers in the cab

just how long can Hattons keep taking on all the improvements people would like and still turn out a model at the price and on time...

In fairness, Hatton's posted photos publicly and invited feedback.  That's what discussion forums are for.  Surely it's better that everyone speaks now, that way I'm sure Hatton's can review the comments and decide what amendments (if any) they are going to pursue. 

The alternative?  Everyone say nowt, empty forum, sit back and wait until the model is released before saying, "Oh, this and that isn't right, why didn't you do it this/that way Mr Hatton's...?"  :)

Edited by YesTor

In fairness, Hatton's posted photos publicly and invited feedback.  That's what discussion forums are for.  Surely it's better that everyone speaks now, that way I'm sure Hatton's can review the comments and decide what amendments (if any) they are going to pursue. 

The alternative?  Everyone say nowt, empty forum, sit back and wait until the model is released before saying, "Oh, this and that isn't right, why didn't you do it this/that way Mr Hatton's...?"  :)

I agree its best to give feedback I just wonder when do they say "that's as good as we can make it" plus I feel really sorry for the people who have to do the next one...about this paper?

It looks great. If you don’t mind a little constructive criticism. The cab door handrails need to be pulled in a bit and the door handles are not quite right they are not as flat and square as you think.attachicon.gif2BAEADCE-9FEB-4E85-8A6D-7A06C163C19C.jpegattachicon.gifDFC7F357-9E4C-45E2-81C9-59215577C651.jpegattachicon.gifC4213FE1-FB69-45E2-9068-839FB0E037D2.jpeg

The madness of the lawyer driven real world ....you have to have a warning sign that a door can trap your hand in it ...FFs !

Looks really nice.  Only observations I would make at this stage are:

Rotating axleboxes are not centrally aligned, does the centre headlight "stick out" a little too much, and from looking at the photos (maybe just the angle) - the door handles look moulded, although expect they are not.

A Class 37 and Class 47 would make interesting follow on projects.......

Regards,

C.

Regarding others comments - about moaning - then I think the Hattons team are doing an excellent job, at producing what is sure to be a fine model.  Whether you love em or loath em, the Class 66 is an essential part of the scene for many modellers, and to Hattons credit - I think they want to get it as right as they can, within what is possible in current manufacturing techniques.  Likewise to do the ultimate Class 66, makes commercial sense, as the product will have a much longer life-span, without any competitor attempting to go "one better".  I'd also highlight, the assistance RMwebbers gave to another company, when they released the Class 52, to high acclaim!  No-one is saying anything is radically wrong, and likewise we don't have the benefit of what details Hattons and their supplier have already looked at improving - we can only mention just what we see could possibly make a fine model, even better.

Last comment on the Class 66 tooling - Just looked at Page 1, following my earlier comment (above) and in the cad-cam - the doors are just a molded block.  Surely, with all the rest of the fine detail incorporated, these would look much better either more refined, or ideally as separately fitted parts. 

2019 could be very expensive for a good many modellers...

Regards,

C. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think they want to get it as right as they can, within what is possible in current manufacturing techniques.  

More is possible, but at what price?

There will be some degree of price v detail compromises.

Think the pipes are going to be a bit "Marmite", personally I raised the issue with Hattons, but they said they cannot get it any better, and have looked at various options.

Only other thing I have noticed - is the lack of "text" on the cast bogies (but are on the 3D prints). Also, bogies look a little too crisp and sharp, for a cast item. But then again, maybe it wouldn't look "right" if they looked rough.

Regards,

C.

post-29694-0-94035400-1535786279_thumb.jpg

You mean this bit?