Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

That depends on the size of your computer screen. My phone shows the photographs slightly smaller than the actual model.

But then you can zoom in on your phone screen.

My eyes can't do that with a model in my hand.......

Of course, which is why I said, "Where do you draw the line".  The other viewpoint of course is, why get something wrong when there is an opportunity to get it right...

I don't think that any of us here are in any way trying to downgrade the manufacturer's efforts, instead simply airing areas that stand out as maybe being questionable.  And of course everyone will have different viewpoints/ideas...

I appreciate that it can be as easy to get it right as much as wrong.

Model railways, by their very nature are a combination of compromises. Time, money, engineering practices, commercial sensitivities etc.. and at some point the line has to drawn and the "go" button pressed for production

I've never said that anyone is trying to downgrade the manufacturer at all - in fact, this thread is a very good example of where pretty much the opinions and observations have been well made.

• Like 1

Model railways, by their very nature are a combination of compromises. Time, money, engineering practices, commercial sensitivities etc.. and at some point the line has to drawn and the "go" button pressed for production

That's very true and I think we are all very aware of that.  It is my understanding that the model is at the stage of having any necessary changes made at this very time, so to be fair, it is a case of speak now, or it will be too late anyway.

Of course there will always be compromise, but at the end of the day it is often getting what seem like subtleties to some, absolutely spot-on, that turn an average, or good model into an outstanding model. 

Looking superb from the video, the level of detail appears to be exquisite. The only area that looks questionable to me (from the video and pictures) are the light clusters. They appear a little too large and the corners seem a bit square. The former issue might be the answer to a previous comment about the flat space above the clusters being too small, which may be affected by the size of the clusters themselves. Also the smaller of the two lights in the 'IOo' cluster arrangement seems too small, although I know this has already been mentioned and may be being dealt with currently.

The rest of the loco looks excellent, and the running from the video appeared silky smooth, through pointwork and the like. Very impressive!

Thanks,

Jack.

That's very true and I think we are all very aware of that.  It is my understanding that the model is at the stage of having any necessary changes made at this very time, so to be fair, it is a case of speak now, or it will be too late anyway.

Of course there will always be compromise, but at the end of the day it is often getting what seem like subtleties to some, absolutely spot-on, that turn an average, or good model into an outstanding model.

True there will be compromises of cost and design but YEs tor may as well highlight them all and see what falls out the tree when it’s shaken

Its a bit like marriage.......

"Speak now, or forever hold your piece.......!"

But the good thing is, the trains don't have arguments with you, or moan when your modelling......unless we get biffo to do a DCC chip with a "nagging wife" so the railway room dosen't even offer a refuge......

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Gold

Did I hear right .. 700g ?

Wow you might want to consider strengthening your layouts legs.

A layout with a shed full of sheds (all 32) could weigh more than a fully loaded check in suitcase...22.4 kg !

That video was massively impressing, Hattons are going long term on this model.

I’m very impressed.

Edited by adb968008

That’s an interesting video with Andy and Dave, great to see the level of detail on the chassis area and that sound is excellent. Great choice to work with Bif, I’m very happy with my existing 66’s on Rannoch, several with special tweaks to suit but I will certainly be adding 3 new versions with sound in the future as that is just excellent.

Thanks

Mark

There have been absolutely lots of crush injuries in these doors, resulting in a lot of hand injuries with the consequential time off from work. Really nasty doors. A reminder sticker is a useful prompt to take care

The problem with notices though, is they just become part of the background.

After a couple of weeks of seeing it, it's no longer noticable :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have pre ordered Class 66 66789 in BR Large Logo blue with GBRf branding "British Rail 1948 - 1997". My knowledge of modern intermodal train formations is limited, I would like to start collecting intermodal wagons that might be pulled by this particular loco. I was looking through various publications and find that several different versions of these wagons are on the market, some current, some for older intermodal services, so if I wished to put together a rake of say 12 wagons for this loco in its current guise what would be the recommended rake of these wagons be?....Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Flickr is your friend for images of what it may be seen pulling

TBH I’ve only seen it a few times at work and it’s been hauling the ex EWS HTA hopper wagons with either coal or stone in, as it an ex EWS loco too it has a knuckle coupling hence why it’s on those particular jobs quite a bit

I’ve yet to drive it (or biffa) but have have a few of the other ex EWS 66s either side of it numerically

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I find that moving the model closer to my eye with my hand helps as long as I stop just before I poke myself in said eye with a coupling.

You must be younger than me, everything would be well out of focus long before my eyes came under any threat of being impaled by a tension lock coupling. In fact, I could probably fit another loco in the gap - is that a good reason to order another one I wonder?

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Great to meet Dave and Dave at GETS today and be given really useful info regarding container wagons. Also really good to see the Hattons team engaging with us enthusiasts. The RHTT looked very good, I think I am warming to some of the modern image stuff.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well the loco was there and they also showed the alloy frame which I suppose is the same for the whole lot of different 66 locos. Very impressive bit of engineering. Having seen it now I think I did the right decision in pre-ordering earlier this year.