Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Have I correctly understood the phrase "rotating axleboxes"?

On the prototype the triangular "axle end/axleboxes" actually rotate with the axle. Will this triangular "axle end/axlebox" actually rotate on the model?

Its the axle end, like on our Irish Tara mines wagon http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131725-preorders-of-irm-tara-mines-wagon-begin-this-weekend/?p=3095126

A very nice addition to what is shaping up to be an excellent model (the 66 that is!) Well done, Hattons!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 3

I would prefer a copy of the Daily Wail........

:locomotive:

You don’t get a “ page3 stunna “ in the daily wail......do they still do that I wonder ?

I’d prefer a copy of the Financial Times , racing post or cheese and soap collector monthly ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What detail is their inside the cabs? 

From the photos their seems to be a lack of detail. I can see their are two crew members which is good to see. But their doesn't seem to be any controls in the cabs? 

I will attach a photo of the Bachmann 66727 in Maritime livery, as the cab detail can be clearly seen. I hope that this level of detailing is achievable on the Hattons 66s. 

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/33038/Bachmann-32-979w-oo-gauge-class-66-727-maritime-one-gbrf-maritime-diesel-locomotive

I hope that this is of use and could make an amazing looking model even better. 

Keep up the good work Hattons. The detailing on the chassis is incredible. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What detail is their inside the cabs? 

From the photos their seems to be a lack of detail. I can see their are two crew members which is good to see. But their doesn't seem to be any controls in the cabs? 

I will attach a photo of the Bachmann 66727 in Maritime livery, as the cab detail can be clearly seen. I hope that this level of detailing is achievable on the Hattons 66s. 

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/33038/Bachmann-32-979w-oo-gauge-class-66-727-maritime-one-gbrf-maritime-diesel-locomotive

I hope that this is of use and could make an amazing looking model even better. 

really there only needs to be one person in the cab this day and age

as for cab interiors there are different variations of those too, you have the "classic" pedestal cab and the "euro spec" version with a wrap round centre console (i drove my first one on saturday, 66747) then you could get really pedantic and have 2 different height "pedestals" (gsm-r console added), extra soundproofing 2nd mans side added

externally there are also 2 types of handbrake chain 

As silly as it may seem, I thought 66s had previous on this front (although I may well be wrong there).

Yes, especially with such a lump of heavy steel on the slightest camber (combined with the fact Class 66's are not the easiest loco to access and egress).  A heavy bag when changing ends helped keep the door open, if used as a door wedge!  

There have been absolutely lots of crush injuries in these doors, resulting in a lot of hand injuries with the consequential time off from work. Really nasty doors. A reminder sticker is a useful prompt to take care

Hi,

For information, EWS had such a large number of these 'injuries' around the access/egress areas of these badly designed Loco's, that they published a proper full colour booklet detailing just how to get on and off the things, of which I still have my pristine copy.

However, this featured the EWS red holdall of the time which itself then fell from favour, as Drivers were regularly slicing their hands when accessing the pockets, due to the exposed and sharp metalwork within.

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

As silly as it may seem, I thought 66s had previous on this front (although I may well be wrong there).

Yep, as lauded to by those in the know above.

But I’d think all doors are guilty of this. My kitchen one can be a right git.....;)

• RMweb Premium

Yep, as lauded to by those in the know above.

But I’d think all doors are guilty of this. My kitchen one can be a right git..... ;)

Hattons have a solution to the door problem.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133954-class-66-in-oo-gauge-new-announcement/page-11&do=findComment&comment=3168772

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Just a quick reminder for people that I'm joining Sam from the Samstrains Youtube channel for a special livestream featuring our Class 66 later on today.

We'll be showing current progress on the model as well as answering as many questions as we're able to during the stream.

We'll be live from 4pm (BST) today over on Sams channel.

I hope to see a few of you over there.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Just a quick reminder for people that I'm joining Sam from the Samstrains Youtube channel for a special livestream featuring our Class 66 later on today.

We'll be showing current progress on the model as well as answering as many questions as we're able to during the stream.

We'll be live from 4pm (BST) today over on Sams channel.

I hope to see a few of you over there.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, 

I am really impressed with the detail on the Class 66s from the EPs that you posted recently. 

Myself and others have made some constructive comments on how these models can be made even better over the past couple of pages. Are these comments been taken into consideration to improve the model? 

I look forward to watching the Youtube video later on. 

Thank you in advance. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, 

I am really impressed with the detail on the Class 66s from the EPs that you posted recently. 

Myself and others have made some constructive comments on how these models can be made even better over the past couple of pages. Are these comments been taken into consideration to improve the model? 

I look forward to watching the Youtube video later on. 

Thank you in advance. 

Hi DRS Crewe on a Mission,

Sorry I haven't addressed this sooner. 

I appreciate all the feedback that has been raised so far.

I've been checking over everything but due to exhibitions and being out of the office more than usual recently I've not finished yet.

Once I'm back in the office tomorrow I'll properly address the points raised on here.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

I will be at work driving the real thing unfortunately. But I and am sure that many others would like to thank you for this new class 66 model, and I would like to reiterate that any points I have made so far is from a passion to get things right rather than nitpicking,and to be honest it has provoked a nice bit of interest in the variations there actually are on the real thing.

Hi DRS Crewe on a Mission,

Sorry I haven't addressed this sooner. 

I appreciate all the feedback that has been raised so far.

I've been checking over everything but due to exhibitions and being out of the office more than usual recently I've not finished yet.

Once I'm back in the office tomorrow I'll properly address the points raised on here.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Any chance you could confirm, for those of us of the sound-inclined, whether the sound-fitted version of this model will have a reprogrammable full-fat LokSound so we update Bif's sound files ourselves - or will it use the cheaper LokSound Select?

Scott

• Like 1

Hmmm, an interesting 'Live Q&A' on what looks generally a very nice model.  It would have been nice to capture a few more close-up shots of the loco, as much of the footage was sadly out of focus or shot from above.  Still, I'm sure there'll be more updates as and when.

Apart from generally looking great, one or two things did catch my eye, namely:

1. Okay, I know it has been mentioned by myself previously, but after seeing the video I'm even more convinced that the cabside windows aren't quite right - I'm not sure if its the way the sample is painted or otherwise, but at times it almost appeared as though the actual window height is slightly too big/out of proportion to the space immediately beneath?  Unless of course it was due to camera angle etc, difficult to say for sure? 

And sadly, I have to reiterate that the vertical window bar moulded as part of the bodyshell just looks like a backward step, and so too that the glazing does not appear to sit flush to the bodyshell at all?  Again unless this is purely a glitch of this early model? 

I noticed also that the cabside window on the later low-emission bodyshell variant also seems to feature a similar vertical bar moulded as part of the bodyshell, which seems a little strange considering that the prototype is fitted with a steel-framed and virtually self-contained unit, so again why not create the model as per the prototype, ie. a single/one-piece, separately-fitted separate unit, and importantly flush-fitting, I guess pretty much as per the existing Bachmann model?  The cabside windows on the prototype are very much of a square, rigid-cornered design, whereby anything even remotely resembling 'fishbowl' effect glass ain't gonna look so great.  Hey, I know its an old cliché but as they say, "If it ain't broke..."

post-5822-0-56555100-1536273259_thumb.jpg

2. Okay, now I'm not totally sure about this one, as only a glimpse could be caught of the model at any one time, and again I accept it could simply be due to camera angle etc, but the actual exhaust appeared slightly too flat?  Also very noticeable was the seemingly shallow/filled-in/almost flat exhaust port itself.  Naturally the prototype has a hole/tunnel where the exhaust port is, and it didn't appear that this was captured all that well from the quick glimpse I saw?  Happy to be proved wrong, of course.   :) 

post-5822-0-06581500-1536273271.jpg

As someone mentioned earlier, I hope these comments aren't perceived as 'nitpicking'.  If anything I'm as keen as anyone to see a great 66, as I am hoping to make a purchase (or several)!

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor

Oh, I just remembered something else...  I think it was mentioned that on named examples that nameplates would be pre-fitted?  I guess it's another 'Marmite' point, but personally (and I know many others) would prefer to fit their own.  Reasons being:

1. Sometimes factory-fitted nameplates are awful, full stop.  eg. I had to replace the plates that came with Dapol's 68 with Shawplan plates, as quite simply the ones that Dapol provided are/were truly awful.
  2. It seems rare that both plates are actually glued on perfectly horizontally.
  3. More often than not plates are glued on with excess glue spilling over somewhere.
  4. It's rare that the etch tabs are actually trimmed properly before attaching to the model.
  5. Pre-fitted plates totally eliminates any possibility of renumbering any given model (and thus purchasing more than one).  :)

cheers  :)

Al

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I just remembered something else...  I think it was mentioned that on named examples that nameplates would be pre-fitted?  I guess it's another 'Marmite' point, but personally (and I know many others) would prefer to fit their own.  Reasons being:

• Sometimes factory-fitted nameplates are awful, full stop.  eg. I had to replace the plates that came with Dapol's 68 with Shawplan plates, as quite simply the ones that Dapol provided are/were truly awful.
  • It seems rare that both plates are actually glued on perfectly horizontally.
  • More often than not plates are glued on with excess glue spilling over somewhere.
  • It's rare that the etch tabs are actually trimmed properly before attaching to the model.
  • Pre-fitted plates totally eliminates any possibility of renumbering any given model (and thus purchasing more than one).  :)

cheers  :)

Al

I like the approach taken with Dapols Westerns... fit yourself, with a subtle dashed line to show where to place.

It would save on tampo printing masks too.

I mentioned up thread that provision to body mount a Kadee through the bufferbeam would be welcome. Enables full airdam and all bufferbeam equipment to be fitted and will then couple with the Bachmann wagons that have knuckle couplers likewise located in bufferbeam.  While this places them over Kadee spec height, they still work on Kadee's uncouplers; and the benefit to appearance of having an autocoupler that reasonably approximates knuckle coupler equipped prototypes, and mounted in the correct location, is significant.

• Like 1