Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

And, let's face it, a cornucopia of colourful liveries sitting in a display case or online really appeals to modern modellers. Already in this thread we have existing 66 owners salivating at new versions to come. A licence to print success, I'd say. 

These will do for starters:

post-22167-0-00220100-1525859809_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This is a welcome announcement towards the potential future safeguarding of the hobby (which is ironic, as my personal version of perpetual hell would feature sound-fitted Class 66s in multiple liveries).  I was a grateful buyer of a brace of Hattons' 14s previously though, so I've got form in this area  :angel:

Based on some of the claims here that individuals are prepared to replace their entire rosters of 66s, running into the thousands of pounds, then this surely demonstrates that there's plenty of life in the hobby yet. 

At the RTR/ collector spectrum end at least.  Quite what it might mean for the ripple effect and trickle-down to other manufacturers, smaller independent retailers, and the cottagers is however, something that we'll have to await with interest, if this signals the start of a trend.

Now, I wonder, would anyone be up for releasing Class 47s in the two most common livery-detail combinations, never hitherto issued by Bachmann in its general range, or the most common Peak nose-livery combo - likewise never generally issued....  :sungum:

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 5

especially this been the first off the shelf loco with independently controlled tail lights for DCC!

John

Not so, the SLW Class 24 was the first RTR loco with independent DCC controlled tail lights, the Realtrack 156 being another example.

Edited by tractor_37260

I have seen a few 66s go by my house in France but still in EWS colours. I,m fairly certain from memory they have an air conditioning unit above the roof.

Would we be asking too much for Hattons to include a continental version? (Still in OO).

I thought it was the grey 77xxx ones that came with the air-con unit on the cab roof? Certainly, none of the ex-EWS ones I have seen at Frethun have had them.

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought...

Over the 30 models announced in so far their is still a wealth of liveries that have not appeared. 

301-305 in Fastline

405 Malcolm Logistics

411 Stobart Rail

412 Malcolm Rail

413, 415, 419 in DRS Debranded Blue

434 Malcolm Rail

524 & 564 with Freightliner advertising vinyls 

573-581 in Debranded Freightliner Green

411,412,417,582, 583, 584, 586, 595, 608, 609, 611, 612, 954 Freightliner Poland Variants

718-722 Metronet 

724 & 726 in GBRF livery without large Europort branding

747-749 in Grey with Orange Lettering operated by GBRF

750 & 751 in Blue

That's not to mention other special liveried sheds including: 723, 725, 737, 743, 746, 775, 782, 783, 789. 

It would certainly be nice if another batch was done at a later stage including some of the above locos especially the GBRF liveried locos on the above line. Surely if these haven't yet been announced/produced by Bachmann these would be really appropriate/attractive models to produce...

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
  • Like 2

Give em a chance, they probably have to run at least 500 in the same livery.

And some of those, Are people really going to want “ unbranded Freightliner green “ ? It’s got to sell and not gather dust.

Still we will see more 1970s Bachmann scencraft depots stuffed to the gills with rainbow sheds !

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Premium

Give em a chance, they probably have to run at least 500 in the same livery.

And some of those, Are people really going to want “ unbranded Freightliner green “ ? It’s got to sell and not gather dust.

Still we will see more 1970s Bachmann scencraft depots stuffed to the gills with rainbow sheds !

Possibly not many but to be fair 404 in DRS Compass livery has been announced and this loco hasn't worn this livery for many years now, so if their is scope then why not.

Fair enough the ex Freightliner 66/5s didn't wear the debranded green for that long but if produced they could be operated under the Freightliner banner or the GBRF or Colas banner as they did work mainline services whilst wearing green. I couldn't say the precise time scales but certainly for a good few months as they were not admitted to the paint shop straight away especially not the GBRF examples as they were needed in traffic imminently. Plenty of geographical coverage between both the GBRF and Colas examples too that were originally Freightliner. Besides none of these examples have ever been done by Bachmann. Just a thought that in respect of liveries and eras their is still plenty of scope even after the first initial announcement of 30 models. 

Just a thought...

Over the 30 models announced in so far their is still a wealth of liveries that have not appeared. 

301-305 in Fastline

405 Malcolm Logistics

411 Stobart Rail

412 Malcolm Rail

413, 415, 419 in DRS Debranded Blue

434 Malcolm Rail

524 & 564 with Freightliner advertising vinyls 

573-581 in Debranded Freightliner Green

411,412,417,582, 583, 584, 586, 595, 608, 609, 611, 612, 954 Freightliner Poland Variants

718-722 Metronet 

724 & 726 in GBRF livery without large Europort branding

747-749 in Grey with Orange Lettering operated by GBRF

750 & 751 in Blue

That's not to mention other special liveried sheds including: 723, 725, 737, 743, 746, 775, 782, 783, 789. 

Oh my aching sides!

....or do some modelling?  :angel:

I’m not sure what’s really wrong with the Bachmann one.

Yes , it’s 2005 tool but then so was the Hornby 60 and that’s still right up there.

We've done this one to death.  But still, Hornby's 60 was very much 'cutting-edge' back in 2005, both in terms of detail and running quality, and still holds its own very, very well even now.  Bachy's 66, while admittedly 'good' back then, (perhaps in retrospect it was "just good enough"?), but either way it was never what one might have considered 'cutting-edge', even at its time of release.  At times many models display dubious running qualities (particularly in relation to the bogies), and detail, well, what detail?!  That's the issue, there is simply a distinct lack of it! 

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

Is there some significance about 66 044 ?

Not that I'm aware of.

I guess it's just lucky that we've both renumbered to the same and David was commenting on that someone will do "his" loco.

I had the same issues with 56094/60066/66101/66111/66118/66432/67027 and a couple of DRS37s -  having repainted them and then the manufacturers bringing them out. It then makes my layout look like it's full of RTR in-renumbered stuff!

Cheers,

Mick

Finally a proper "model" of the Class 66 in OO gauge.

Really is a big dent for Bachmann with their half hearted effort with the Class 66.

Thank you Hatton's!!! It's worth every penny and by the looks of it, it's miles ahead of the tired Bachmann effort.

Pre-order duly placed and I hope to drum up a few extra bucks and possibly order another one.

PS: failed to understand what's the buzz about Hatton's stealing the thunder from Hornby. Both made sensible announcements. Some people really do seem to over-hype things.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

Indeed there are, and as others have said (and has been shown in the photo of all the liveries), the number of variations on standard liveries are immense. Thus, any 'special' liveries would be ripe for commissions, or why not make them yourself using transfers, many of which are available from the likes of Railtec to customise your loco and make it 'yours'. You could also snap up any cheap Bachmann models and do full repaints; I know I'll be doing this when the price of the Bachmann models is right.

I think the initial range announced is suitably concise...Bachmann's initial range was just a handful of liveries with only one or two numbers, despite there being variations and other liveries, although granted not near as many as nowadays. It’s very hard to spend a few hours at a main line location and not see one of the initial liveries, operators such as EWS, DB and GBRf get their 'sheds' everywhere and these standard liveries make up the majority of 66-hauled workings...the uniquely liveries ones are definitely in the minority.

I think Hatton's should be commended for taking on such a bold project, and depending on how well-received the model is when it arrives, I’ve no doubt that further liveries and maybe tooling variations will follow...let’s wait and see, eh?

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1

Hopefully Hatton's Dave is reading, as thinking aloud here now that the excitement has had time to sink-in, and thinking now toward the actual forthcoming model; and my first thought is that while it is impressive that the schedule seems to be from CAD images to delivery-of-model in just ten months, I really do hope that Hatton's allow time for feedback, and not only that, but take time, and I mean real time, to ensure that everything is just right.  With such a gargantuan announcement it would be awful for something to be not quite right on the finished model – I'm thinking here of other great, full-of-promise projects that have ultimately ended up with a somewhat lukewarm reception, such as Dapol's Class 73 and more recently Oxford Rail's Mk III coaches, just two examples of other potentially great models that maybe didn't quite make the grade.

As regular RMWebbers will know from previous topics following the progress of new models, there are many, many nuances and idiosyncrasies to be found on every locomotive design and it can take just one crucial error to put-off a whole army of potential buyers; after all we are perhaps more likely to forgive, or perhaps not even notice, a curvature or angle that isn't quite as it should be, or a handrail that isn't quite right on a wagon or other item of rolling stock; but when it comes to our beloved locomotives I feel that us modellers tend to be much less forgiving. 

For a project of this scale, and if I am not mistaken Hatton's first stab at a mainline locomotive with all the trimmings, it is inevitable that this model will likely form the reputation for Hatton's for the better, or otherwise, in terms of producing a major model.  As such, I really, really hope that they get this right in every respect possible and I wish them the very, very best of luck.

I hope that others will share and support my sentiments above and that Hatton's really do take their time to get things just right.

Now, on a lighter note, having studied carefully the 30 models on offer and I've managed to squeeze my selection down to 26.   :prankster: 

Believe me, I'm trying to squeeze harder, as I fear my credit card will disintegrate!   :crazy:

Edited by YesTor

I hope that others will share and support my sentiments above and that Hatton's really do take their time to get things just right.

Although time may be a factor it is only a variable which depends on the commitment, diligence and observation which is necessary to carry out the reviewing process. My observation is that they have already demonstrated more of those qualities than some already so they will be doing the same again. As I said yesterday their project planning and timescales have been respectable too so I think they know what they are doing.

There are some who take plenty of time but still don't see inaccuracies and some I am convinced don't even look to check there are any. Nowt to do with time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am staggered at the comments made that the Bachmann 66 is ok and there is nothing wrong with it. Had such attitudes prevailed for other models the hobby would not have moved forward as it has. When released it was good (but not very good), now I don’t think it is even really average compared with modern models.

I for one stopped buying Bachmann 66s some time ago, waiting for an upgrade to become available.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Well the Dapol 68 got me interested in really modern image again. Shock horror I bought a Lima Freightliner 66 just to have another loco to run along with all my multiple units. So i’m In the market for one or two , probably a DB red one , but I do like GBRF or DRS ones too. Anyway I like to encourage companies bringing in high spec locos at lower prices than established models. I have no doubt this model will set the standard based on my Hattons Barclay and the reception the “P” has had. I think this is the new way to bring models to market. Again well done Hattons

I am staggered at the comments made that the Bachmann 66 is ok and there is nothing wrong with it. Had such attitudes prevailed for other models the hobby would not have moved forward as it has. When released it was good (but not very good), now I don’t think it is even really average compared with modern models.

I for one stopped buying Bachmann 66s some time ago, waiting for an upgrade to become available.

Roy

Interestingly they seem to keep selling irrespective of the standard, especially the limited editions recently released, or maybe it's because there is no alternative.

One positive on the Bachmann 66 is that the couplers work, unlike the Hornby 56 and 60 that derail the leading wagon..