• RMweb Gold

Use a pin to make some holes in some thin, dark card.

Use a hole punch, centering the hole on the pinprick.

Cut each punched circle along a radius ( outer edge to centre).

Re-glue the circle into a slight cone.

Poke the led cable through.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's not like you...

Oh hang on...

I think that it might work. Can you control the brightness?

It kind of works :huh:

E6E8944E-12B3-4856-9F5E-A81C61F4FB73.jpeg.caf8a10e9920d844e15cccce4e8ff20c.jpeg

I’ll have to see if painting it black helps

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I think these might be what you are aiming for. I think the LED they use is what you have.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-OO-HO-gauge-LED-wall-ceiling-lights-Model-street-Railway-lamp-posts-R50-/152069928187?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I've not installed mine yet but I was impressed like you when I tested then on a battery.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SR71 said:

I think these might be what you are aiming for. I think the LED they use is what you have.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-OO-HO-gauge-LED-wall-ceiling-lights-Model-street-Railway-lamp-posts-R50-/152069928187?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I've not installed mine yet but I was impressed like you when I tested then on a battery.

I have seen those but I thought they would take a while to arrive coming from China

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I have seen those but I thought they would take a while to arrive coming from China

I don't remember them taking that long - 1.5 weeks maybe - but it was a while ago so can't be certain. Of course I may have just been lucky.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I didn't want to over complicate the interior lighting, I was quite happy to attach LED's to the wall either side of the double doors

I need to give it some thought

Remember that at the period you are modelling they would most likely be a couple of oil lamps - it is unlikely that the goods shed was wired with electrickery or fed with gas - so when placing them, think about how the staff would get at them to light them and put them out.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Remember that at the period you are modelling they would be most likely a couple of oil lamps - it is unlikely that the goods shed was wired with electrickery or fed with gas - so when placing them, think about how the staff would get at them to light them and put them out.

Al.

Thanks Al

I’d not considered that, I just assumed they would have had gas in the mid thirties

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

To be honest I'm not sure, but would a rural goods shed really have a gas supply? A bit of research is indicated...

Al.

You know me Al, I'm just making it up as I go along :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Thanks Al

Most useful

"relied on skylights for lighting these buildings"

8 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

....so I don't know what they did in winter...

Al.

Candles and wooly jumpers :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

You know what I might not bother with internal lighting but I will still put one or two lamps in the yard

Rule One says the Stationmaster at Warren was very forward thinking, and persuaded the GWR to wire up his goods shed...

Al.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

You know what I might not bother with internal lighting but I will still put one or two lamps in the yard

Maybe you could still introduce lighting into the goods shed by way of a GWR type hand lamp (see image below) which could be wired up with one of those tiny LEDS you have and either stood on top of a crate or hung from a hook on the wall. It could make a great cameo scene with a couple of workers unloading a wagon at dusk. You could use a pre-wired loco lamp which are available in 4mm scale or drill out a plastic type lamp (like the one below) and use glue and glaze for the lens and fit your own LED behind the lens. The loco lamps are slightly different to the hand lamps but at this scale it’s not that noticeable.  If I ever get the chance to build a layout of my own, this is what I had in mind for lighting the interior of the goods shed. I am even considering installing fibre optic lighting into the hand lamp the GWR guard is holding, this has been achieved by other modellers but unable to recall where I saw it. Forgot to mention, I won’t be offended if any of my above suggestions are not of interest, it’s your layout and your rules but just wanted to share what else is possible for lighting.

128688950_Handlamp.png.24ff25b87fd18a15af21d6954b168ee8.png763023375_ModelUlamp.png.9e70a191e206c9e9a4e36c6717aba420.png423279593_GWRGuardwithlamp.png.de49655ad50df32b9f07dfad6d622571.png

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

@MAP66 great ideas but I don’t know if I could do it justice

I don’t want to over think or over complicate things, just a couple of LEDs on the inside of the wall you don’t see will give the effect I’m after

I'm still thinking about it though

If the roof wasn’t removable I’d just stick them on the roof :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve stuck an led in the corner by the side of the inner platform

D42E9146-7761-4DCA-9A20-47B6B3744D3C.jpeg.7e8f48023cb26aaabfd45291f9f66644.jpeg

D52A10E1-6056-4087-8EC0-90BE57E6BB56.jpeg.3c73fef2749cecf14321887f2ae83a1d.jpeg

The effect is quite nice much brighter on the photo than it actually is but I don’t know how to rectify that (I’m crap at taking photos)

3FCD48F0-ABF3-43A1-89B7-5BF15F67B266.jpeg.32c61b5b3bf39503478b9bdcc9528ce4.jpeg

Doing this mean the wires are already out of sight and virtually invisible when not illuminated, just in case photos are taken from over head

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Just taken another using time-lapse then taking a screenshot....

3BE915E7-0321-435B-92EE-65693FD333CF.jpeg.8dc97d0f104265f05588a7df2f3f4a19.jpeg

...this is closer to how it looks in real life, I’m planning on putting another at the other end

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

Excuse the pun, but that's brilliant! The fact that it's low down gives a great effect on the walls, really atmospheric.

Al

I thought about what you said regarding lighting having to be at a level that could be reached plus @MAP66 suggestion of a lamp light made me think that the light would be thrown out and upward 

• Agree 1