Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I've just searched on Flickr for Level Crossing Gates (perhaps I should have done that first :D ) and they are all as you have yours, red disc facing ROAD traffic.

Not according to the pictures on the box, I'll re look at it.

attachicon.gifs-l300.jpg

Cheers.

Indeed. Not like PECO to get the box wrong!

Not according to the pictures on the box, I'll re look at it.

attachicon.gifs-l300.jpg

Cheers.

I don't want to be picky, Andy

But you've not got your gates the same as on the box. However they do fit with the explanation from Donw, which I would think

appropriate for your blue period.

Perhaps you could swap the gates over, when you get the steamers out!

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I was uncomfortable with the suggestion that the arrangements for the target on the gates had changed over the years, but I wanted to be more certain before I jumped in with both feet! So I’ve been hunting on the Railway Archive web site and found the 1950 ‘Blue Book’ (REQUIREMENTS FOR PASSENGER LINES AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOODS LINES OF THE MINISTER OF TRANSPORT IN REGARD TO RAILWAY CONSTRUCTION AND OPERATION) which says:

“Gates to be painted white and to carry red targets and red lamps, one on each side of the crossing. Targets and lamps to show in both directions along the road or railway according to the position of the gates; they need not however show towards the railway if there is a Stop signal protecting the crossing.”

I also discovered that Dore End is not a populous place! “At public road level crossings in or near populous places, gates to be either close-barred or covered with wire netting.”

Hope that helps,

Paul.

• Like 1

I don't want to be picky, Andy

But you've not got your gates the same as on the box. However they do fit with the explanation from Donw, which I would think

appropriate for your blue period.

Perhaps you could swap the gates over, when you get the steamers out!

Red disc should also face rail traffic with the gates closed as it is a technical stop board/signal to rail traffic

Paint it red both sides

Afternoon all,

I was uncomfortable with the suggestion that the arrangements for the target on the gates had changed over the years, but I wanted to be more certain before I jumped in with both feet! So I’ve been hunting on the Railway Archive web site and found the 1950 ‘Blue Book’ (REQUIREMENTS FOR PASSENGER LINES AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOODS LINES OF THE MINISTER OF TRANSPORT IN REGARD TO RAILWAY CONSTRUCTION AND OPERATION) which says:

“Gates to be painted white and to carry red targets and red lamps, one on each side of the crossing. Targets and lamps to show in both directions along the road or railway according to the position of the gates; they need not however show towards the railway if there is a Stop signal protecting the crossing.”

I also discovered that Dore End is not a populous place! “At public road level crossings in or near populous places, gates to be either close-barred or covered with wire netting.”

Hope that helps,

Paul.

Confused now. :O

So I'll just leave them as they are thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Confused now. So I'll just leave them as they are thanks.

Confused, possibly, but correct!

Just remembered that you have left a space for a signalbox by the crossing so you will be having signals therefore targets facing the road only.

Paul.

• Like 1

Confused, possibly, but correct!

Just remembered that you have left a space for a signalbox by the crossing so you will be having signals therefore targets facing the road only.

Paul.

There will be a Signal at the end of the Loop coming from the F/Y, at least. then I'll find a home for another from Dore End.

Have been meaning to ask for sometime: who makes (or made) your double sausage nameplates.

Thanks,

Paul.

It was a company at a show that did Bitton, Trebudoc, is a wood one done by an old guy that a friend knows.

Pencarne and Porth Merryn are from Station Signs, and are just shinny paper.

The Booking Office one is a Cast Metal original SR one.

Edited by Andrew P

Been up to no good this morning, well actually I made an angle tray for the Control Panel to make the screen easier to see when sitting on my stool. Same idea as George T but I thought of it first, hahaha. :nono:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Also filled in the embankment bit down from what will be the Road.

post-9335-0-53866100-1540471895_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-02969700-1540471934_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56317500-1540471988_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

This screen shot taken today might help Andy.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-10-24 at 13.28.17.png

It certainly helped me... I went to that site, registered and navigated to that camera just in time to see the gates open and 7822 pull in! Thank you, made my day. Now waiting for the 5pm arrival at Buckfastleigh. Very glad you pointed to the site.

post-13426-0-54288900-1540483139_thumb.jpg

Sorry Andy, rather off topic.

But to bring it back on topic... I did a search of gated crossings and gates of your type often seemed to have the circle painted red on the back. But where there's a signal then appears that it was normally just left white.

Edit to say that the 5pm arrival is late!

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Trying to catch up on various threads in more detail after just skimming through for a couple of days and having now read this in more detail saw the reference to servo operation of points.

I/we opted to use the Megapoints servo controller on Splott West Sidings but didn't get much success.

I put this down to my agricultural construction methods.  I've seen commercial points working fine as well as other hand laid stuff, so if I'm going to use servos to operated points again, I will need to review my constructional methods.  I blame having to build stuff that goes in the garden and has to deal with the rigour of live steam operation.

The solution was to get some Cobalt motors and get one of the Megapoints stall motor drivers.  This solved the problem in an instant.  Plus I can still use the remaining outlets on the Servo board to drive the signal servos when I get around to fitting them. 

I have been following Jon Fitness's signal thread, so mimicking his techniques gives me great hope.

You may recall when you last had a 'yoyo' moment and abandoned 7mm in favour of 4 mm scales, that I purchased a 16T mineral wagon from you.

I've just found the box..............Or should I say parcel, as it was put into the stock cupboard without unwrapping and has sat there ever since!

I really must focus on sorting out my modelling, rather than chairing endless procrastination society meetings.

Edited by Happy Hippo

Trying to catch up on various threads in more detail after just skimming through for a couple of days and having now read this in more detail saw the reference to servo operation of points.

I/we opted to use the Megapoints servo controller on Splott West Sidings but didn't get much success.

I put this down to my agricultural construction methods.  I've seen commercial points working fine as well as other hand laid stuff, so if I'm going to use servos to operated points again, I will need to review my constructional methods.  I blame having to build stuff that goes in the garden and has to deal with the rigour of live steam operation.

The solution was to get some Cobalt motors and get one of the Megapoints stall motor drivers.  This solved the problem in an instant.  Plus I can still use the remaining outlets on the Servo board to drive the signal servos when I get around to fitting them. 

I have been following Jon Fitness's signal thread, so mimicking his techniques gives me great hope.

You may recall when you last had a 'yoyo' moment and abandoned 7mm in favour of 4 mm scales, that I purchased a 16T mineral wagon from you.

I've just found the box..............Or should I say parcel, as it was put into the stock cupboard without unwrapping and has sat there ever since!

I really must focus on sorting out my modelling, rather than chairing endless procrastination society meetings.

Hi Richard, Good to hear from you, I have since ( 5 weeks ago) bought another 3 Dapol 16T Minerals in Grey, and hopefully picking up 2 more when I go to Wales next week. We do tend to go around in circles, hahah, that will be enough for Dore End Coal Yard.

It would be good to see you progress on here mate.

All the best.

It's Cold but the Sun is out, and I'll be off to our Club shortly for a running session on Dornoch, the 60 plus ft end to end BLT. 

I'm taking the Cl 25 / 5191, 68XX / 6839, Jinty / 47501, and 61XX / 4144 plus some 16T Minerals to have a play with today.

• Like 4

Control Panel looking good Andy got the world at your finger tips there Sir  :sungum:

Cheers Martin, The World is my Lobster as Dell Boy would say.

I'm looking forward to coming up to Wales, and I have a Pass out for another day when there so will give you a call to arrange something.

Cheers Martin, The World is my Lobster as Dell Boy would say.

I'm looking forward to coming up to Wales, and I have a Pass out for another day when there so will give you a call to arrange something.

Excellent news Andy ......better get the shed tidy ready for the master layout builder .....at least there are two layouts operating this year  :jester:

• Like 1