RevolutioN Announces Crowdfunded N Gauge Class 128

MGR Hooper!

Having followed John YouChoos suggestion above, I set to it and dismantled the chassis to get to the installed speaker which is tucked under the PCB. I was surprised when I removed it to find that there is no kind of resonance chamber attached, it just sits diaphragm side down in the chassis, "sealed" to that by some tacky "stuff" and sound emits (notionally anyway) through holes in the bottom of the chassis. Below is a picture of the speaker I removed in the foreground, together with the Sugarcube I replaced it with behind (complete with such a chamber as will be noted).

The second picture shows the new speaker installed by soldering speaker wires to the contact tabs on the underside of the PCB, I routed the wires up through the aperture in the PCB where the rear of the motor is and thus to the speaker terminals. The speaker sits very nicely on the traction-weight as can be seen. However this is not how it ended up because Klutz as I am I failed to allow for one of the stiffeners in the roof of the Unit so the body wouldn't go on over the speaker!  I therefore extended the wires and relocated the speaker immediately behind the cab-bulkhead and this time everything was fine 🙂 - forgive me not taking another picture but I am now too busy running it!

Having tested the new setup, with the Zimo chip at default settings there is no "crackle" whatsoever and it runs and sounds very nice even without the body on, and once that is in place the sound is even better.

As has been said by a few people it is the loco body that provides much of the amplification rather than anything else which is indeed fortunate. However by way of what I hope is received as constructive feedback, I would implore Revolution Trains to look again at the chassis design for the 120, because with seating units in place the benefit of the body as such a sound chamber will to a large extent be lost. It would seem perfectly feasible (for example) to install a better and beefier speaker with sound-enclosure above the chassis in the guard's compartment without any visual impact.

I am going to leave it there, I am not encouraging anyone else to do as I have done, but for me it has provided what I consider to be a proper "fix" that doesn't need to compromise on the sound's volume and as the model is in every other respect exquisite I am now happy.

Roy

20231026_101208.jpg

20231026_131747.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Having followed John YouChoos suggestion above, I set to it and dismantled the chassis to get to the installed speaker which is tucked under the PCB. I was surprised when I removed it to find that there is no kind of resonance chamber attached, it just sits diaphragm side down in the chassis, "sealed" to that by some tacky "stuff" and sound emits (notionally anyway) through holes in the bottom of the chassis.

Ahh, nice one Roy. This explains it then, these speakers do not work without a sound chamber that is sealed, sound holes do the opposite of what is required. This isn't the first model that has featured a speaker to exhibit the same 'crackling' problem, and it was for the same reason.

When I first saw the EP at TINGS a few years ago, I did mention to Ben and the chap who was with him, possibly Mike, that having 'sound holes' would not help with sugarcube speakers and they probably needed to go, I didn't realise that they were still there on the production models!

My 128s haven't arrived yet so I have been following this with interest to see what the deal was here, at least it's a very easy fix. Now to find a sound file with the appropriate raspy exhausts in readiness...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John YouChoos said:

Pop a SugarCube8 speaker above the PCB part and it fits really nicely (not wired up here, but at least shows the position).

Revo128DPU-007.jpg

It just didn't occur to me to put it there, the uncluttered space above the weight lured me in🤔!

Hi Gang;

Just given my TMC Dealer Express Parcels 128 a quick test run on the rolling road.
All seems well with smooth pickup and drive in both directions.
Lights are nice and subtle too, not getting too bright.
A credit to all concerned.

Not adding a sound chip at this stage, so cannot comment on that aspect!!
Just another two to arrive direct from Revolution now!!

Later;
STU from EGVN

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang;

Just given my TMC Dealer Express Parcels 128 a quick test run on the rolling road.
All seems well with smooth pickup and drive in both directions.
Lights are nice and subtle too, not getting too bright.
A credit to all concerned.

Not adding a sound chip at this stage, so cannot comment on that aspect!!
Just another two to arrive direct from Revolution now!!

Later;
STU from EGVN

Still waiting for Kernow to have their 128s on stock.

Looking forward to the Express Parcels livery to add to my BR Blue versions

es grüßt

pc 

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, alangdance said:

Still waiting for mine. Still no confirmation from either Royal Mail or RevolutioN. I am a bit surpised that dealers are getting theirs before people who support the crowd funding for the 128.

Mike H and Simon packed and sent another batch towards the end of last week. As you can imagine, there’s a lot of direct customer orders to work through. 

Regards

Mike B

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, alangdance said:

Anybody still waiting for their 128 from Revolution. Been 2 weeks now since I paid the final invoice.

Hi there,

We are working our way through the orders but please remember we are a tiny business; there are only four of us, we all live in different places and we have other jobs to do within the business, so we tend to save up orders for a packing session once a week.

We have had a packing day today and send out another few hundred. 

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2023 at 15:56, John YouChoos said:

Pop a SugarCube8 speaker above the PCB part and it fits really nicely (not wired up here, but at least shows the position).

Revo128DPU-007.jpg

After reading (John YouChoos) suggestion.
I was wanting to purchase a Zimo MS581N18 with a speaker, and I note that the SuparCube8 was recommended, but I also see that the MS581N has an output of (3 Watt / 4-8 Ω), and the SugarCube8 is rated at 1 Watt, so should I purchase 2x SugarCube8 speakers and run them in paralell ?
Or is this overkill and if so what effect does the 3 Watt output do to the speaker?

cheers Bud

@Bud - how loud do you want this unit to be - whilst the RevolutioN speaker might be at the cheap end, if you turn the sound down a little it's perfectly acceptable.  Most speakers in N gauge are going to be at the quieter end of the scale as we don't generally have the space for a big speaker and really do you want the sound to be so big that it is totally out of perspective with the loco/unit in view.

Why not get the sound chip, try it out and if it really isn't loud enough then the answer is to add the sugar cube, I only use a small sugarcube in all my N gauge locos/units not had any issues.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John YouChoos said:

Hi Bud,

No, there is a typo on the Zimo website relating to the specs of the MS581... is should read 1W at 8 ohm, same as all the other smaller Zimo sound decoders.

All the best, John

I did think that sounded rather powerful but my reference site Digitrains seems to still have it's database offline - I assume as they've been at an exhibition over the weekend.