• 51-100
    • 101-250
    • 251-500
    • 501-750
    • 751-1000
    • 1001-1500
    • >1500

Time in Mauritius 15.13. not the 11.13 in england

Well sat here in the sun in Mauritius for the last two weeks reading this I wonder why people are listing what they have when the question was how many! Nothing else.

I also wonder if some one really has 1500 locos? A friend of mine sat out to have,build one of each type of lsteam loco BR took over in 1948 ,he did and ended up with 850 ish locos (a long way from him to check exact no) so even if you one of each you have a lot of doubles, actually as I type this I realise they probably have them!

P S can you two let us know who you are so we can quote you as excuses for buying more (not serious)

Edited by Graham456

This is the sort of information that should only be shared on a ‘need to know’ basis, and since I don’t need to know how many locos I own, I don’t. That way, even under duress, I can’t divulge the figure.

Sounds like a very sensible arrangement.

Edited by Dubloseven
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Owning and running very large numbers of locos is probably not the dream situation you'd think at first; somebody has to put time and effort into keeping track of maintenance and lubrication, replacing whatever minor damage or things that have fallen off, cleaning pickups etc.  Sounds like hard work to me.

I cannot visualise a stud of more than a thousand locos for a layout in any domestic hobby situation.  But some collectors may be able to boast such quantities, all still in the boxes.  Storage becomes an issue at this level as well.

• RMweb Gold

Ah a locoholics anonymous thread.

I have too many, most of which requiring modifications, and over 80% without sound chips, but hmm really would like a class 07 and "need" some new Heljan class 25/3s.

Fortunately I've only dabbled in O gauge and have been very strict on not buying any more.

Having retired earlier this year has really refocused my spending priorities. I can see that the only model railway spending for the rest of the year will be a few more sound chips and the forthcoming Bachmann freight liners.

Neil

I cannot visualise a stud of more than a thousand locos for a layout in any domestic hobby situation.  But some collectors may be able to boast such quantities, all still in the boxes.  Storage becomes an issue at this level as well.

Initially I also couldn't see anyone with such a collection, but then I thought back to my young free and single days when I had two free unused bedrooms, storage not a issue, but I didn't get beyond two hundred locos in them days as two thirds of my collection are kit built which takes time,

Both the rooms and time evaporated when I got married

Johnster

Your point in 78 is well made.

I’ve got a few locos of beyond pensionable age and, like their human counterparts, they do need a bit of care as they get on. Half a dozen are either too delicate to use very much, in need of minor work, or undergoing protracted rebuilds.

People who are into serious collecting, beyond the range that I can reach, things from c1900-1930, have to put a lot of time, money and effort into this sort of thing. It actually becomes the hobby.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

I made a promise to myself to stop when I reached 50 but I'm afraid I failed.  I mentioned this thread and some of the figures to Mrs GDB. She assured me I won't live long enough to pass 70 let alone 100! *

:butcher:  :girldevil:

* Locos that is because as I'm 69 that would be a bit worrying. :scratchhead:

You're not alone. I do remember having a visitor who came round with a friend to see the model railway, this is a good few years ago and it was still in an early stage of construction. I was in my late '40's, and the visitor in his late '60's said that once you get to 50 you start to dispose of stuff. Hmmm.. I thought, not so sure, and lo and behold his prophecy has proved totally wrong in my case. As for "downsizing" well forget it!

John. 

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1

I made the poll selection private, for obvious reasons.

It's not that obvious.

I can't think why you would. But then I can't think why anyone would care either.

I have less than 20 locos/units.

Less than 50 combined wagons, coaches, units and locos.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• RMweb Premium

Owning and running very large numbers of locos is probably not the dream situation you'd think at first; somebody has to put time and effort into keeping track of maintenance and lubrication, replacing whatever minor damage or things that have fallen off, cleaning pickups etc.  Sounds like hard work to me.

Can be fun

Box one was started a month ago and I finished with box seventeen last night. A bucket of oil, a track rubber, and a few glassfibre pen refills later and I have a fleet of very nice working locos. 9 needing repair still.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

(And still I keep ogling the new L&B models in the magazines and telling myself "Noooooooooooooooo!!")

Peter

Glad i'm not the only one tempted by a Heljan Manning Wardle......

So does mine! Next question how much would we get if you sold some?

I make it a practice to never say how much anything costs, So what she does not know does not hurt her, Besides I never ask her how much her teddy bears cost her and she has more bears that I have engines....... :)

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Gold

I seem to have kept myself fairly restrained where locomotives are concerned (how many Class 33s & 73s does an SR layout really need), however the SR EMUs seem to have developed a habit of multiplying.....

I've had two major clear outs in the last twenty years, to a point where my loco stock was precisely zero.

The hunter-gatherer (hoarder!) in me has inevitably kicked in after each weigh-off though, current stock is ten Heljan EM1s, I'd have more but the ones I already have need fettling... and a Triang EM2 which I fancy more of: it still holds its own against the Heljan offering.

Got a couple of 86s plus 87s thanks to this forum, and assorted other odds and sods.

I do fancy an Auscision VR L Class or two, plus a NSWR 46 Class (HO).

Then there's the wish list in waiting, 24s 25s 40s Peaks 47s Roarers etc.

Plus units...

And then there's all the Asian scratchbuilt stuff that's on the back burner at the mo and in various states of completion. Haven't really touched it since I got back into BR modelling, but its time will come I hope.

Often wondered how much tat will be on site when I snuff it, luckily my nephew has taken to model railways so it won't go to waste!

Collected a Heljan 76 a few months ago, sister picked me up and when I opened it the seven year old nephew's eyes lit up.

He was crestfallen when she explained it was mine, but said that when I die he'll probably inherit it.

His reaction reminded me of the dead tortoise joke, the punchline being "can we kill it now, Dad?!"

Edited by E3109

Time in Mauritius 15.13. not the 11.13 in england

Well sat here in the sun in Mauritius for the last two weeks reading this I wonder why people are listing what they have when the question was how many! Nothing else.

I also wonder if some one really has 1500 locos? A friend of mine sat out to have,build one of each type of lsteam loco BR took over in 1948 ,he did and ended up with 850 ish locos (a long way from him to check exact no) so even if you one of each you have a lot of doubles, actually as I type this I realise they probably have them!

P S can you two let us know who you are so we can quote you as excuses for buying more (not serious)

I think it depends on when you started buying/collecting them.

If you've been buying them for 40 odd years and buying 12 a year then it soon adds up. One a month isn't that much of a stretch for someone with a reasonable job and no commitments. For some people the cost of a loco is the price of a night out. Yes, I can easily spend £100+ on a night out.

As an example I must have about 200 diesels and electrics that I bought in the 1980s when you couldn't give them away. You could buy them new in places like Hattons for a lot less than £20 and if you looked in the secondhand section then you could get decent quality locomotives for about a fiver.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I've specified a (younger) railway friend of mine to sell my collection in my will. He'll get 7.5% for his trouble and the balance will go to my daughter. He'll sell for a decent price (knows enough about the stock to do that). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's not that obvious.

I can't think why you would. But then I can't think why anyone would care either.

I have less than 20 locos/units.

Less than 50 combined wagons, coaches, units and locos.

It is possible that people of dishonest intent read this site and can work out who you are, and where you live.  They only then have to find out when you are out...

Be street smart.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

I've had two major clear outs in the last twenty years, to a point where my loco stock was precisely zero.

The hunter-gatherer (hoarder!) in me has inevitably kicked in after each weigh-off though, current stock is ten Heljan EM1s, I'd have more but the ones I already have need fettling... and a Triang EM2 which I fancy more of: it still holds its own against the Heljan offering.

Got a couple of 86s plus 87s thanks to this forum, and assorted other odds and sods.

I do fancy an Auscision VR L Class or two, plus a NSWR 46 Class (HO).

Then there's the wish list in waiting, 24s 25s 40s Peaks 47s Roarers etc.

Plus units...

And then there's all the Asian scratchbuilt stuff that's on the back burner at the mo and in various states of completion. Haven't really touched it since I got back into BR modelling, but its time will come I hope.

Often wondered how much tat will be on site when I snuff it, luckily my nephew has taken to model railways so it won't go to waste!

Collected a Heljan 76 a few months ago, sister picked me up and when I opened it the seven year old nephew's eyes lit up.

He was crestfallen when she explained it was mine, but said that when I die he'll probably inherit it.

His reaction reminded me of the dead tortoise joke, the punchline being "can we kill it now, Dad?!"

Eh, greengo, no toucha my marraccas.  These-a marraccas, they leave to me by my father; he say, son, when I die, you weel have my marraccas.  So then I keel heem.