• 101-250
    • 251-500
    • 501-750
    • 751-1000
    • 1001-1500
    • >1500

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AyJay said:

I have to agree with a couple of others and say that I too do not feel that I should answer this one. In various guises, I regularly see these random questions on social media platforms: “How many cars have you got”, “How big is your house” and so on.

It’s probably businesses touting for a lead, but being a suspicious g1t, I wonder if there is an element of someone harvesting data about you to sell on (remember, you are a product to be traded). There could also be more nefarious intent.

No - it's the social media platform generating traffic so they can quote increased stats to attract more advertising. That isn't really the case here, I think. 

Not a question I would answer on a public forum or to a stranger.

However, I do wonder about the amount of modellers who hide their collection (or cost of) from "the wife" - in my eyes that just stopping short of infidelity.

Or maybe, just maybe I'm extra lucky with Mrs T - I just own up.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Or maybe, just maybe I'm extra lucky with Mrs T - I just own up.

Good idea!

I used to hide the details from my better half until she saw that I was spending so much money, she thought I must have been going to a strip club or worse.

Took me no time at all to come clean after that!

Ah well, it was good while it lasted, can’t do that sort of spending anymore. I’m happy with what I have, that’s the main thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, wairoa said:

Enough  that the wife is going to blow her top when the horrible day arrives that she wants to clean out the basement and counts them all. Thankfully a few I have in the open were only $8-10. I am guessing that is about 6-8 GBP.  She will see everything as a Hornby APT in value and I expect I shall be sleeping outside for the following 2  years.

in the new man shed

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Good idea!

I used to hide the details from my better half until she saw that I was spending so much money, she thought I must have been going to a strip club or worse.

Took me no time at all to come clean after that!

Ah well, it was good while it lasted, can’t do that sort of spending anymore. I’m happy with what I have, that’s the main thing.

An extended period of redundancy/illness/unemployment helped me re-evaluate my old spending habits and what with the prices for new stuff these days and even though I am working again, it means I now only buy second-hand from non-eBay sources and am open about what I spend and what it would have cost if bought new. Madame is a very active on-line bargain hunter (typically around a 70% reduction or she's not interested)  so more packages are delivered for her than for me, so when Steve the postie does drop something off for me "What's in there?" she asks. "Train stuff" sez I "Got a loco for under half what it was new". "Oh" and she loses interest. (The "do you need yet another model train?" discussion was put to bed years ago as the same logic can be applied in reverse to shoes/handbags/summer dresses etc...) :^) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, doilum said:

Hunslets are like beer. A boy cannot have just the one.

I got a new Hornby Sentinel 0-6-0 the other month, only to realise that the big box containing all my Industrials was full up, so I had to eject something. One poor Austerity is going to have to lurk underneath the arches for a while, the others heaved a sigh of relief.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I own under 30 steam and diesel locomotives both in N gauge and OO. Occasionally, I do but a new locomotive but that happens very rarely as money is tight at the moment. 

I keep a yearly list of "acquisitions", dating back to nigh on 10 years. We're half-way through 2022 and this years list is extremely sparse compared to pre-Covid, to say the least. I don't expect the situation to change in the second half of the year because, as you say, money is tight.

• Like 1

Whilst still a modest total judging by the Poll categories in this Thread, at far less than 50, I still have more locos than I ever anticipated having when I first moved into O Scale.

The total went up by one this morning, though, with receipt of a Dapol Class 08.... 😁

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Well since I last posted on this thread I have bought some more locos. My wife has bought some more teddy bears. Equilibrium has been maintained in my household and peace abounds.

I have a mate who collects both model railways and teddy bears - I always suspected he was imbalanced... :^)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

I have a mate who collects both model railways and teddy bears - I always suspected he was imbalanced... :^)

Your mate is Gyles Brandreth and I claim my £5!

He's well known as a collector of bears, but he has dropped a few hints about model railways over the years.

https://www.gylesbrandreth.net/blog/2019/1/21/for-blue-monday-the-7-secrets-of-happiness

Getting back to the OP, only bought six locos this week....

Loads of bargains about at the moment.

Jason

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Y

Getting back to the OP, only bought six locos this week....

You have an alternate persona of ADB968008 and I claim my £10

• Funny 2

43 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

I wonder if you answered this question and then got robbed, what you'd think?  Likely a coincidence, but why even take chance?

Who knows you though?

If you are giving your details to strangers on the internet then it's your problem and I would suggest learning a bit of basic internet security.

The OP was a fun post dating from four years ago and was anonymous. 

Hands up those that have had their locomotives stolen in the last four years due to this thread!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose my loco-buying is easing off as I have a large and varied enough stud to run the WTT with spares for boiler washouts and such.  I last updated the situation in this thread 4 years ago, and since then my suggested shopping list has been filled; 45xx, 5101, 82xxx, 94xx, not to mention two NCB locos, and the 44xx and Collett 31xx are in hand as a kit rebuild and work-up and kitbash/bodge respectively.  There is also a Wills 1854 in the in tray.  My loco acquisition has moved from buying RTR to donor locos for kitbashes.  Back then I was in the market for an 08, but this was based on incorrect information on the BRDatabase website that 3 of them were supplied new to Tondu in 1953; in fact these 3 locos were sent to Swansea Docks, so in the event I'm glad I didn't buy one.  There are still unfinished kits for a rebuilt TVR A and a Rhymney R, which would have to be justified under Rule 1 as Barry or Dyffryn Yard locos working through, and I've already used that excuse with the 3MT.  I'm keeping them back as low priority work for when I've done everything else I want to model, and I'll probably be to old and decrepit to take them on when that time comes!

I made a concerted effort to acquire as many locos as I could as soon as I could, in a way that may not have represented the most suitable method for my budget, severely limited as I'm nobbut a poor pensioner (listen to those tragic violins), but I was aware even 4 years ago that prices were about to head north with a vengeance.  I have mostly bought 2h from the Bay of E, and those locos I did buy new were all discount offers, so I don't think I've been wasteful.  The acquisition of new locos has made a definite move away from RTR into kitbash/bodge and kit though, as has that of passenger coaches.  I am, over time, morphing from a box-opener into a modeller, though no RTR item on my layout is in the exact condition it was when it came out of the box, even if the difference is no more than a light weathering washover.

My attitude is that there is nothing 'superior' about 'modelled' as opposed to RTR stock.  Tony Wright makes the valid point that stuff you kit- or scratch build yourself is a source of pride and satisfaction in a way that stuff you pull out of a box isn't, and I'm certainly no going to argue with him, but the pride and satisfaction depend on the quality of the job, and this is where things get a bit wobbly in my case!  I can manage a brass kit, but don't have the tools, facilities, or tbh the skills needed for scratching to any decent standard.  If there is an RTR product available, I'll buy it and 'improve' it as much as is needed or as much as I can to represent the loco I want it to, and if not I will look to kits as the next line of attack, followed by various forms of Johnsterbodgery and, as a last resort, scratchbuilding...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

Mi’Lady and I came to an agreement. So long as the bills are paid, I can buy what I want. However I am careful not to abuse that licence.

If anything is said about the cost, I just reply that I don’t smoke and I’m no fan of football. What does a premier league season ticket cost anyway?  
So how many engines do I have? Always one less than what I want!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

I wonder if you answered this question and then got robbed, what you'd think? Likely a coincidence, but why even take the chance?

I think I've got better odds of winning the Lottery than I have of my trains getting stolen because I posted about them on RMweb - and I don't even play the Lottery...!!!

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2018 at 13:13, Steven B said:

Enough but the proportions for each class are wrong. I need to swap a few class 60s for class 31s.....

Having balanced the contents of my stock boxes over the last four years, I can now safely say more than I need but less that I'd like.

Steve B