Hornby Signature Train Sets and Sovereign Train Packs

MGR Hooper!

As the latest Annual Report shows they are getting some of the overheads down at long last albeit far too late in my view.  

However year-on-year sales have fallen over the edge of a cliff from £47.4 million last year down to £35.7 million this year although there are a number of widely differing reasons for this fall varying from no fire sale to - probably far more importantly and definitely critically - continuing supply problems especially in the model railway area.  Of course reduced sales don't necessarily mean reduced profitability but in Hornby's case it has with 2018 showing even bigger losses than 2017 just about whatever way you care to measure the losses in money terms.

Indeed supply is definitely slow this year. We thought they had cracked them last year, but something has gone wrong again. From the list extensive items I ordered, I've so far had just 2 cattle wagons and a coach (oh and 5 TTS chips).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed supply is definitely slow this year. We thought they had cracked them last year, but something has gone wrong again. From the list extensive items I ordered, I've so far had just 2 cattle wagons and a coach (oh and 5 TTS chips).

Yep it’s as simple as you can’t make money if you have nothing to sell . There are lots of issues at Hornby , inconsistent marketing, variable QC , large overheads for a small organisation but the central one is lack of control over their manufacturers . They had all their eggs in one basket, Sanda Kan , when that manufacturer closed there was major turmoil from which they’ve never really recovered.

Edited by Legend

Haven't they tried this (fairly unsuccsfully) before with the 72xx+3 PO wagons(R3670) and K1+3 PO wagons(R3671)?  

Pricewise, the K1 pack retails at something north of £12 what you'd pay Hornby for the sum of its parts and although Hornby don't appear to currently list the 72xx separately, a similar collection with the 42/52xx as an alternative works out as £14 cheaper than the 72xx pack.

Of course, both packs are available elsewhere at suitably (considerably) discounted prices!

A curious approach to marketing...

btw, the Hornby website currently identifies the 72xx in the package as having a 2-8-8 wheel arrangement. Perhaps thats where the price differential arises?

• RMweb Gold

Yep it’s as simple as you can’t make money if you have nothing to sell . There are lots of issues at Hornby , inconsistent marketing, variable QC , large overheads for a small organisation but the central one is lack of control over their manufacturers . They had all their eggs in one basket, Sanda Kan , when that manufacturer closed there was major turmoil from which they’ve never really recovered.

At least the supply issue is very openly addressed in the Annual Report with mention of action to solve it.  But then similar things have been said in previous Annual Reports although at least this time some of the problem seems to be more clearly identified which might mean a more positive solution is in mind, and still factories in China are out there looking for model railway work and in some cases taking on a bit of financial risk in order to get it.

One potential answer might be to go into a joint business arrangement with a Chinese owned/managed factory as Rapido have done but it still will inevitably leave them in the hands of a Chinese business as Chinese law won't allow them to gain full control or to own premises in mainland China.

You've hit the nail on the head, Jason. The concept of packaging slow moving items and selling them at a premium is hardly new - remember Triang's 'Midland Passenger' with an antediluvian 3F and a couple of shortie coaches?

What is worrying is the complete ignorance of railway practice, product saleability and market impact. I pointed this out at last year's 'Great Electric Train Show', where the latest revamp of the 14xx had precedence over the superlative H class in the glass display cabinet. I asked the helpful Hornby rep why this ancient reworking was overshadowing a potential blockbuster.

"oh, because it's a special anniversary issue to celebrate Warley..."

"But we're not at Warley...??!"

Edited by Andy Y
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

removed content

That’s enough now, that kind of comment is a bloody disgrace and deserves no place on this forum...

Edited by Andy Y

That’s enough now, that kind of comment is a bloody disgrace and deserves no place on this forum...

I fully agree and the comment is alas what you get in social media.   

All the best to you, and Hornby!  

In this case i think less could have been more: A streamlined B17 in conjunction with an established kit builder (again like ooworks) could have seen the chassis put to good use, and the sale of an A4 tender too.. it could have been quite an exclusive product, that would recover more financially to cover burning the B17 body and reusing the tender on something else.

No need to burn all the B17 bodies. Some of us would like to obtain these locos sans chassis in anticipation of Dave Bradwell one day finishing his B17 chassis kit!

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

That is the second time lately that unnecessarily spiteful and damaging statements have been posted on this forum.Playing god on one's keyboard is becoming too fashionable it seems.Those who do so should remember that this is sometimes a double edged sword and can work against the perpetrator.Remember those who posted about the late Lord McAlpine on social media?

I have asked for it to be either edited or removed altogether.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I absolutely agree, and as you are a product developer, decisions on what to sell with what probably don’t cross your desk. But rubbishing companies and organisations about which we neither understand the internal workings nor the commercial imperatives has become a fashion - particularly when the firm concerned isn’t doing exactly what the writer would like.

Please don’t take it personally. Plenty of us out here find your company’s products regularly have our wallet twitching. We need you.

I am pleased to see Andy Y has removed the offensive line.

• Like 2

You know what? At the end of the day LD is going to have to go back on his grand plan and sell these at a discount. Why ? Well no one wants them at their original price , so that’s the only way to shift them. He’s going to look pretty stupid with a warehouse stacked high, which presumably costs him money in storage charges (back to these high distribution costs), as the company runs out of working capital. Somethings got to give. Hopefully learning from past experience they will offer discounts to their retail customers to shift them

The 71 was a poor choice of model to make . Even worse to bring out a second batch. There was never going to be a huge demand for an uninspiring box like loco restricted mainly to South East England . The Southern enthusiasts may be vocal looking for one, but in the wider market these are not particularly useful models.

I suppose you could say the same of, for example, the Adams radial. That was an even more localised class, restricted to one short branch in BR days. They seem to have sold well  however, and I bought three of the Oxford offerings.

• RMweb Gold

I'm thinking with the Great Model Railway challenge airing over the next few weeks this could actually be a clever move ?

Several have posted that you would never put A with b and you can buy x y and z on ebay for half the price, But with the interest being shown by people in the show who have NEVER had anything to do with model railways and are looking for 'some train stuff' for little Jimmy for Christmas wouldn't these packs be what they are likely to buy ? A bit of clever bundling by the retailers could see some good sales.

In today's market £300 odd quid as a main xmas present for a bundled set that stops little Jimmy going on about trains, is not a big deal for the people this is likely to attract. No It's maybe not for most on this forum, but its not aimed at us and could be a good way for Hornby to cash in on the show and shift what is effectively dead stock. Re spraying, new bodies etc would take time to organise and put into action with no guarantee of sales. Printing up a new outer box can probably be done fairly quickly and cheaply and as mentioned, if retailers find they aren't shifting them in the run up to Christmas then they can split them.

Maybe a clever move and if it helps with cash flow and keeps Horby going then I'm all for it ! Why not get behind it and if you hear family or anyone else discussing the show etc, point them in the direction of the nearest retailer stocking these sets encouraging them to buy that special box set for little Jimmy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes was thinking the timing of this could be good. Let’s face it Smokey Joe and a couple of trucks running round an oval probably won’t do much to assist in the conversion of folks to Model Railways but some of these train packs could . Nicely packaged. A bit more than your usual starter set .

Despite all the "expert opinion" no one has posted the link to the Hornby page with all the packs on and the list of dealers who will get them:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/signature_and_sovereign

Probably because that page didn't exist when most of the posts were made.

I found out about these from Kernow nearly two weeks ago....

Jason

• RMweb Gold

It was on the thread now closed

Yes, sorry, I didnt realise this thread was about the same thing, and I was actually puzzled that no one had said anything about these offers! Much easier to spot now the title has been changed.

That's a pretty good deal, these coaches are individually around the £35 mark, so four for just over £100 ain't bad!

cheers,

Keith

Hattons isnt listed on the Hornby website as being a stockist of these sets. It will remain to be seen if they do get some in stock.