Markits. What's happened?

• RMweb Premium

Have I missed something? I can't find a link to Markits from the search section and the catalogue is not available on the web site AFAICT. NIce page of 'new' items but no back catalogue of all those lovely parts I need.

Thanks

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I can get the website but I'd like to be able to see the old catalogue but the link has been disabled. I'm sure it isn't on there somewhere else but I am half asleep at the moment. Any ideas how I might find a copy of the 'old' one?

Thanks

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

So Rob, why did that not come up when I was in the search thingy. Much appreciated. I feel daft now but I do not find that search box of any help at all most of the time. Pah!

P

I used Google Markits Rmweb.

• RMweb Premium

If there is anything you are desperate for it might be worth seeing if someone else has it such as 247 Developments or Wizard.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I shall have a look at some suppliers; I had not reckoned that others kept anything much other than wheels. I know Comet gave up when Geoff was running it and advised customers to obtain wheels of their choice rather than him having to order them in. When he was kit building loco's for folk he did that as well as the waiting time for wheels was often quite protracted and he would start the kit build when he had received the wheels.

It is a fact that I have forgotten about most suppliers of 'bits', including the Gibson range. very often the turned brass parts are so much better than the supplied cast pieces (especially chimneys).

• RMweb Premium

Roxey Mouldings keeps a fair stock of Markits parts.

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/category/92/4mm-scale-accessories-by-markits/

Quick service too.

Ah yes, David is a grand fellow and I do like many of his products from mouldy rocksings. However I am struggling with a Maunsell coach kit I have had for a long time.

He seems to have most of the things I would like as well. Brillo.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Markits stopped taking orders on the 16th of July and yes, I accept the usual response to such questions that it's his business and he can run it how he wants but 3 months is a long time for a business to go without sales.

I understand that Markits stopped taking orders because the most popular wheels had run down to zero and new tooling was required before producing more. This all sounds very time consuming and you can't expects the man to manage a big production activity and sales at the same time but it does leave a big gap for kit builders who prefer the simplicity of self quartering.

I have made some less than complimentary comments about the owner's manner in other topics but I suppose absence does make the heart grow fonder. 

It might just be that Mr Markits has decided to concentrate on wholesale sales (as opposed the retail).

As indicated, my experience with Markit's has not always been positive but what this halt in sales has demonstrated is that direct purchase is not the only way to buy his wheels. Future purchases his wheels will be from other outlets. Even if it does involve an oncost. A small price to pay for better service.

I don't believe that he is concentrating on wholesale. Since before the halt of sales, in July, I had been trying to source 4' 71/2" 14 spoke wheels. These seem to be unavailable from any source, then or now.

I finally sourced a set from Ebay which were actually the correct crank pin arrangement for a J27, unlike the offering from Markits. I have no idea of the pedigree but they look like Markit/Romfords.

The reason that I was trying to source a set of wheels was because Mr. Markit sold me wheelset for a J27 which were 16 spoke. I've raised this with him twice and had no response so I have good reason to be unhappy.

In addition to this, a wheelset described as being for a Q6 may have the correct number of spokes but the crank arrangement and the crank boss certainly are not suitable. No response on this one either.

So, I have quite a few of Mr. Markit's wheels which I cannot use.

If anyone can identify a use for a 4' 71/2", 16 spoke, pin between wheelset, I would be very grateful so that I can sell them with an accurate description. I can't find an appropriate prototype.

If anyone can identify a use for a 4' 71/2", 16 spoke, pin between wheelset, I would be very grateful so that I can sell them with an accurate description. I can't find an appropriate prototype.

I’ve just trawled through the Mike Sharman wheell “bible” and he does not list such a combination of diameter/spokes/crankpin alignment at all! Goodness knows what it is intended for?

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just trawled through the Mike Sharman wheell “bible” and he does not list such a combination of diameter/spokes/crankpin alignment at all! Goodness knows what it is intended for?

Tim T

Perhaps it was intended as a "middle of the road" solution to suit (but not exactly) several loco types?

Tim T

GWR 1854/2721.

From Slaters

7855GWR 4'7 1/2" 16 Spoke (GWR 1854 and 2721)  10" PB

https://slatersplastikard.com/wheels/7mmScale/7mmLoco.php

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Of course, obtaining Markits wheels from other retailers depends on them being able to obtain stocks.

I had a chat with a chap at a recent show and he told me that the supply situation should improve as new manufacturing arrangements are being set up for the wheels.

Of course, obtaining Markits wheels from other retailers depends on them being able to obtain stocks.

I had a chat with a chap at a recent show and he told me that the supply situation should improve as new manufacturing arrangements are being set up for the wheels.

Some probably still have stocks.

Unless people start panic buying.....

Jason

Some probably still have stocks.

Unless people start panic buying.....

Jason

Panic buying???

Surely RMWeb members wouldn’t resort to that

Oh, I forgot about Hornby Railroad Collett Coach bodies being hoovered up by a member in Ontario........

Tim T