RMweb

SatNav - Longest distance (in England) between junctions.

Penlan

I was wondering if there are any longer distances you can travel using SatNav notifications between two points, NOT including Motorways, than 81 miles.

81 Miles - between leaving the M5 at Exeter on the A30 and the roundabout at 'Carland Cross', where the A39 leaves for Truro - "Take the 3rd exit..".

I've restricted it to England as I'm sure there's a longer stretch between Inverness and Perth - approx. 110 miles, 

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering if there are any longer distances you can travel using SatNav notifications between two points, NOT including Motorways, than 81 miles.

81 Miles - between leaving the M5 at Exeter on the A30 and the roundabout at 'Carland Cross', where the A39 leaves for Truro - "Take the 3rd exit..".

I've restricted it to England as I'm sure there's a longer stretch between Inverness and Perth - approx. 110 miles, 

It'll become 101 miles in 5 - 6 years time* once the Carland to Chivi section is duelled. 

*Hopefully not longer than this.

It'll become 101 miles in 5 - 6 years time* once the Carland to Chivi section is duelled. 

Do you think they will do a flyover at Carland.... 

Thinking about it, there was a Highways Agency Gazebo at Mazey Day in PZ in the Summer,

and they had some extensive plans on view, which with hindsight I think was that duelling,

but I admit I didn't take a lot of notice.

• RMweb Premium

Do you think they will do a flyover at Carland.... 

Thinking about it, there was a Highways Agency Gazebo at Mazey Day in PZ in the Summer,

and they had some extensive plans on view, which with hindsight I think was that duelling,

but I admit I didn't take a lot of notice.

Flyover at both Carland and Chivi, with the many Chivi junction moving about 1/2mile east. Planning application went in right at the end of August, construction is meant to start in 2020. 

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/a30-carland-cross-to-chiverton/

• Like 1

Flyover at both Carland and Chivi, with the many Chivi junction moving about 1/2mile east.

Many thanks for the link. 

That would take the A30 without an obstruction/junction down as far as Hayle Bypass - Or M&S's as my wife call's it.

Of  course we have many obstructions at present

Broccoli / Cauliflower traffic up and down the west end of the A30.   :O

Edited by Penlan

Lots of junctions on the A14 between Cambridge and Felixstowe.....unless I'm missing something? :fool:

Ah sorry, I thought it was the longest distance between Satnav instructions. I believe unlike other dual carriageway A roads the junctions of the A14 are signed like those on motorways.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed; There are lots of junctions on my A1 suggestions but they're all accessed via a slip road as per a motorway. The A30 in the original post also has them.

I assumed the "rules" were that the route should not include any sat-nav directions - e.g. "at the next roundabout take the second exit"; I.e. the rule should not pass round/through any roundabouts, but other junctions are OK if the satnav would keep quiet as they're passed.

Correct, the rule(s) is the distance to the next instruction, whatever the destination.
The next instruction when I leave the M5 onto the A30 at Exeter, heading for PZ, is (the SatNav shows) - 81 (miles) .. take the 3rd exit.  It's the first junction / roundabout encountered on the through journey.  After that the road is single c'way for about 5-6 miles.

* Because I'm basically deaf, I don't have the speaker on, so I just look at the instructions.

Certainly on Motorways, even though your following that path there can still be instructions, I'm thinking of say the M4 in South Wales, near Newport / Cardiff where the SatNav shows the M4 curving away to the right at say 3.5 miles away from a major route separation (they are bigger than Slip Roads, though in essence that's what they are) .

Thus although your on the M4 going to say Swansea, there is an instruction before then.

On the A30 twixt Exeter and near Truro, there are no other instructions.  Or at least not on my Garmin.

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Gold

I know I mentioned the Canadian “not open until May” but I think the Sat Nav didn’t have much to do on one of our German trips.

I think we were on the A7 for 700 km until we left at Hamburg to head east.

Tony

No idea what the sat nav would say for itself, but Gallows Corner to Ipswich on the A12 is a long way. There are some traffic lights on the stretch between Gallows Corner and the M25, so if you want to start counting at the M25 junction it's still a pretty long way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

M5 - Junc 25 (Taunton) to/from M42 exit I do regularly and is, IIRC from what the sat-nav voice tells me, is 110 miles. Start of M5 in Exeter area to M6 will therefore be a fair bit longer. Rarely do it in full without a PNB though as I've already done a fair run from Portland by the joining point.

As  a follow up - What's the longest you can do in UK with out meeting a roundabout? (As a guess somewhere around Glasgow onto the M6 and then down the M1 to London area.) My longest regular run is Taunton (J25) to the Hopgrove on the A64 York By-pass! (All slip-roads) although clearly you wouldn't ever be likely to do it, in full, non-stop. Theoretically though on a night-run you could stick the car on cruise control at Taunton and pootle on up the whole way without a gear change.

Edited by john new

There's another road-map related 'game' that I often 'play' mentally - okay, I do it if I can't drop off to sleep...  

Basically it goes like this:  you have to figure out how far you can reach driving away from home, avoiding traffic lights.  It's harder than it at first appears, for anyone in an urban area.  If you want to make it harder, add only turning left, or right....

As  a follow up - What's the longest you can do in UK with out meeting a roundabout? (As a guess somewhere around Glasgow onto the M6 and then down the M1 to London area.) My longest regular run is Taunton (J25) to the Hopgrove on the A64 York By-pass! (All slip-roads) although clearly you wouldn't ever be likely to do it, in full, non-stop. Theoretically though on a night-run you could stick the car on cruise control at Taunton and pootle on up the whole way without a gear change.

Round and round and round and round the M25... :jester: