Basic customer service at exhibitions

Selkent

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, back to shows. How's about avoiding a queue to get in at the pay desk by charging punters when they leave? (And possibly on a proportional time basis...).

Cos' you're bound to get the MOG who refuses to pay some or all because he claims:

1. A certain layout didn't turn up.

2. Nowhere to sit

3. Rubbish exhibition

4. He couldn't get a brass clack valve for a J1

5. Crownline didn't turn up (unsurprisingly...) and he wanted one of their kits.

6. Plus any one of a thousand other excuses.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cos' you're bound to get the MOG who refuses to pay some or all because he claims:

There are already a few of those that try and get in without paying.

Having done the door for the last 18/19 years I try and accomodate those that arrive early, we have an inside area should the weather be bad and we keep everyone informed on timings, if we can open early we do, but the exhibitors and traders need to be ready and they work to the opening/closing times they were given.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The conclusion was that tickets could be sold to a waiting queue prior to opening so that at the opening time they could all flood in.

Dave

Effectively what happens at Railex, where a nice lady on the free bus from Aylesbury station will sell you an entry ticket to the show, enabling you to wander past the queue.
  • Like 2

You know the show is not going to be great if, when you ask what time it opens, they ask you what time you can make it? (old theatrical joke)

As an exhibitor, usually on a Society stand or operating someone else's layout, it's really bad news if the public is let in early. There are often last minute things to do and, as someone has pointed out, you may not have taped-down cables or sorted out other trip hazards and you may also be frantically soldering that one vital joint that has chosen fifteen minutes before opening time to fail. For one day shows in particular, getting to a distant venue in time to set up and make the layout or stand presentable generally means an early start. If all goes according to plan the fifteen or twenty minutes before opening time can be really valuable for having a coffee, taking a quick look at what other layouts are there and just catching your breath before  starting to perform* . If it doesn't go to plan that time is a vital buffer. 

*I rather liked a photo of the famous O gauge Maybank layout (described by Cyril Freezer as the first modern layout and probably the first terminus to fiddle yard layout ever to be exhibited) at the MRC show before the war with a notice on it saying that "The next exhibition will be at 11.00 AM" Apparently Bill Banwell and Frank Applegate had a fairly intensive timetable sequence that took a certain amount of time to work through after which they reset the trains on the traverser, and had time to discuss the layout with fellow modellers (surely one of the main reasons for having a number of layouts gathered together at an exhibtion) before the next showing

• RMweb Premium

Effectively what happens at Railex, where a nice lady on the free bus from Aylesbury station will sell you an entry ticket to the show, enabling you to wander past the queue.

Similar thing in Bristol when there was a bus laid on, except that they sold the tickets before you got on the bus. (And the bus wasn't free)

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be a lot of posters that didn't read the original post.

The conclusion was that tickets could be sold to a waiting queue prior to opening so that at the opening time they could all flood in.

Dave

Hi Dave

The pre selling of tickets is what has lead to the bigger shows allowing "advanced ticket holder" in earlier, meaning an even earlier start for the exhibitors. Now should the the smaller shows start to sell their tickets to early or in advance there will be people who will ask/demand that as they already have their tickets like the big shows they should  be let in early. If the start time gets earlier more shows will find they have to accommodate more exhibitors on the Friday night because who want's to get up at silly o'clock to get there on time because a handful of people want to route around and haggle over the prices of some second hand junk.

• Like 4

Hi Dave

The pre selling of tickets is what has lead to the bigger shows allowing "advanced ticket holder" in earlier, meaning an even earlier start for the exhibitors. Now should the the smaller shows start to sell their tickets to early or in advance there will be people who will ask/demand that as they already have their tickets like the big shows they should be let in early.

Steady on Clive, they'll also be expecting a free shuttle bus from the car park and cloakroom facilities too...

• Like 1

A friend who organises a Wargames show confirmed to me that it's insurance that dictates opening time, If you need to pay for an extra half hour then that adds to costs. I can see the issue with selling tickets to the waiting queue but why Oh why! Do we then get in to find two duffers selling tickets and trying to flog programmes at a single table, all the while chatting to friends either in the queue or behind them. Put 6 or 8 people on the door for the first half hour taking money as fast as they can and another table further in selling programmes.

• Like 2

And they are volunteers. Seems some people have forgotten that bit. If you want 'customer service' try a supermarket.

True, but even as a volunteer, having volunteered I think one has some moral responsibility to do the job to a reasonable standard. Not to do so not only lets down the public but it also annoys one's fellow volunteers. I do voluntary turns in a number of shops and nothing takes the gloss off the day like having to deal with everything the previous shift should have done in addition to one's own responsibilities.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

True, but even as a volunteer, having volunteered I think one has some moral responsibility to do the job to a reasonable standard. Not to do so not only lets down the public but it also annoys one's fellow volunteers. I do voluntary turns in a number of shops and nothing takes the gloss off the day like having to deal with everything the previous shift should have done in addition to one's own responsibilities.

Doors open at X o'clock. Tickets are sold from X o'clock........Volunteers job done. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

True, but in my book you shouldn't treat volunteers as employees. I have seen on organisation which tried to do just that and guess what....they ran out of volunteers very quickly.

Perhaps I have been missing something for the past 50 years but why is there this need to be first in? Are you going to be there all day so want to make the most of every second? Do you need to spot that potential bargain that much (even if there might not be one at all!)? Will it never appear again? 

I really think this is making a mountain out of a molehill! If you don't want to queue then just turn up about 10 minutes after opening time, chances are those bargains will still be there... It opens at 10, that's what you've been told, so why should you expect people to start serving you before then, you wouldn't expect it in a pub or cafe so why is an exhibition any different...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really think this is making a mountain out of a molehill! If you don't want to queue then just turn up about 10 minutes after opening time, chances are those bargains will still be there... It opens at 10, that's what you've been told, so why should you expect people to start serving you before then, you wouldn't expect it in a pub or cafe so why is an exhibition any different...

I quite agree but there is a section of society that think the rest of the world revolves around them and any deviation from that is horrifying. That anyone would have the effrontery to make them wait in the cold, or get to the Bachmann stand first, display a foreign / diesel / pre 1945 / amusingly themed / N gauge / G gauge ,(delete as appropriate), layout, or just have the wrong sort of shoes, is liable to send them into a fury ;)

Or, quite simply, they enjoy moaning about perceived inefficiency with an unswerving belief that it would all be better if they organised proceedings.

And of course it would be completely beyond their skills to organise a bunfight in a brewery. But this is also beyond their understanding.

• RMweb Gold

I volunteer at our Wargames Show every year. It really is very easy to put a few extra bodies at the door at opening time. Give your customers, and that's what they are, easy access and they come back, after spreading the word th\t the show is well run.

We’ve honestly not found it that easy at our show, in fact we usually struggle to cover the door shifts because they are busy helping out exhibitors with last minute bits or getting food ready. It stretches most clubs especially where a number of people are also manning layouts and doing other jobs. We had to change to letting the school cater for lunch so members just look after hot drinks as the available members are limited. People are just busier and while years ago most could help both days many have other commitments so manage only one.

Maybe the solution is to advertise the start time half an hour after the time we tell exhibitors? But then they’d see the posters and say it’s ok we have half an hour yet ;)

I quite agree but there is a section of society that think the rest of the world revolves around them and any deviation from that is horrifying. That anyone would have the effrontery to make them wait in the cold, or get to the Bachmann stand first, display a foreign / diesel / pre 1945 / amusingly themed / N gauge / G gauge ,(delete as appropriate), layout, or just have the wrong sort of shoes, is liable to send them into a fury ;)

But I NEED to get in first so I can fill my rucksack with ALL* the bargains so I can annoy everyone else all day!  :jester:

* Obviously there are only enough bargains for me hence the need to be first. 

Edited by royaloak

If SWMBO wants to look at 'shops of clothes' afterwards you need to be at the show as soon as possible...

Are neither of you capable of independent operation?

You go the model railway show, SWMBO goes shopping, that way you both enjoy your independence (saving all that 'why do you need to buy a new toy train' or the even more dangerous 'of course your bum looks big in that, you have got a big bum' awkwardness) and when you are both finished you either ring each other on your mobiles or meet at the agreed place and time.

Or is that a bit too 'out there' for some people?

• Like 1

Or, quite simply, they enjoy moaning about perceived inefficiency with an unswerving belief that it would all be better if they organised proceedings.

Like a lot of senior management, they know the theory but have no knowledge of the real world.