British outline lococmotive

• RMweb Gold

31, 37, 50, 55... all have reasonable models already. Does anyone really believe there’s a mass market for perfectionism?

Since the last L&Y Dreadnought was scrapped in 1951, and it’s modern day counterpart is a class 142.. the answer is quite definitely no, on the real railway at least.

To think you could once travel not first class, not dining, not Pullman, but a premium exclusive private members only dining train with Butlers, shoe cleaners and hairdressers between Blackpool and Manchester daily, .. and ride Dreadnoughts to York and Carlisle from Manchester... and today it’s a 142, indeed it’s becoming a London reject 319.

But in the 1970’sthere were 50’s from Vic to Carlisle, in the early 80’s it was Deltics over the penines, in the mid80’s it was 45’s, by the late 80’s it Manchester loco hauled returned to Blackpool with 37’s and in the early 90’s it was 31’s all with the same aging mk1’s.... and that would be to me perfect.

37 would be least of my guesses however, as would be a rtr Dreadnought, though the Dreadnought is my wish list no1 for steam.

You do all know of course that no matter what we ask for, wish for or even pray for we're all going to be wrong :senile:

It is DHP1 then ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

You do all know of course that no matter what we ask for, wish for or even pray for we're all going to be wrong :senile:

My money still goes with a study of the relevant points of the compass and I think - that as with everything else these clever chaps have announced so far it regrettably won't be for the point of the compass which interests me. so I think I can rule out certain letters in the alphabet but there is one which might be in the frame.  However there was one letter which was used on both sides of the Irish Sea for engines with the same number of wheels - hmm wonder if there's anything in that?

31, 37, 50, 55... all have reasonable models already. Does anyone really believe there’s a mass market for perfectionism?

I agree, but these lads are producing the Irish A class loco in likely batches of around 250 for very similar prices. So do a masterclass 31,37,50 or 55 in small batches like that and you will sell them like hot cakes.

Especially when the versions available are getting out of date for modern standards and they are actually carrying a higher RRP than the price already quoted by Accurascale.

All good fun, sure the guessing keeps us busy!!

If I was guessing Id go diesel. 

I think people generally think the super detailed Hornby models are very good. So that would rule out, class 31, 50, 60, 67, HST. However, some of Bachmann's while good possibly could be upgraded. Here Im looking towards class 37, 47, 55, but I also think a project like this needs something to grab the headlines away from a workhorse. So thus Im guessing... Class 55. Deltic.. 

It could be steam, but I think the mechanism under a diesel would be easier to make to get started as a first product. So thats my logic... 

Probably rubbish. 

• Like 1

Since the last L&Y Dreadnought was scrapped in 1951, and it’s modern day counterpart is a class 142.. the answer is quite definitely no, on the real railway at least.

To think you could once travel not first class, not dining, not Pullman, but a premium exclusive private members only dining train with Butlers, shoe cleaners and hairdressers between Blackpool and Manchester daily, .. and ride Dreadnoughts to York and Carlisle from Manchester... and today it’s a 142, indeed it’s becoming a London reject 319.

But in the 1970’sthere were 50’s from Vic to Carlisle, in the early 80’s it was Deltics over the penines, in the mid80’s it was 45’s, by the late 80’s it Manchester loco hauled returned to Blackpool with 37’s and in the early 90’s it was 31’s all with the same aging mk1’s.... and that would be to me perfect.

37 would be least of my guesses however, as would be a rtr Dreadnought, though the Dreadnought is my wish list no1 for steam.

It is DHP1 then ?

You're getting the wrong trains. Try the TransPennine Express and you get Desiros.

Soon to be Class 68s and Mark 5s.

Jason

• Like 1

Hmmm, points of the compass suggest DRS to me, and DRS would also rule out certain (most) letters. However, since DRS have got (or had) most classes in their fleet, I'm not sure that narrows it down much.

Well I did suggest a few pages back a class 88 it's not been done yet.

I think people generally think the super detailed Hornby models are very good. So that would rule out, class 31, 50, 60, 67, HST.

And some of this those models range from okay to poor to pretty good.

To me, the 60 is fine and I don't know enough about the 67 to comment.  But (again, to me) the 31 looks bad, the 50 has the curse of both being a toy (working grills) and a detailed model and the toy parts ruin the appearance as well as having the class 50 curse of an problematic front end.  As for the HST, it could be better.

So yes, for half of those models there are people wanting a better product.

But I would be surprised if it was an HST because that would mean somebody needs to take the jump into the Mk3 market as a highly detailed HST is pointless without corresponding coaches.

Maybe something with a few more wheels then ?

Just a thought it's less than 25 hours to the announcement - have they re-started their count-down clock ? .............................. ooooh - no they haven't but there's a bit of steam loco on the website ... was that there before ?

And some of this those models range from okay to poor to pretty good.

To me, the 60 is fine and I don't know enough about the 67 to comment.  But (again, to me) the 31 looks bad, the 50 has the curse of both being a toy (working grills) and a detailed model and the toy parts ruin the appearance as well as having the class 50 curse of an problematic front end.  As for the HST, it could be better.

So yes, for half of those models there are people wanting a better product.

But I would be surprised if it was an HST because that would mean somebody needs to take the jump into the Mk3 market as a highly detailed HST is pointless without corresponding coaches.

really?  all those models have received high praise over the years.

I would like to know what your thoughts are on the HST power cars though . better how?

There's currently only one manufacturer making a decent class 37, that some on here say still requires work to make totally accurate. Hattons have taken the plunge to invest in producing an up to date specification class 66. More power to them.

My thinking is that Accurascale are going to delight us with an up to date specification class 37. There is room in the market for it, mixed traffic, multiple liveries, multiple eras. Bachmann aren't likely to upgrade theirs, Hornby are in a mess at the moment, the time is ripe.

As I said earlier, main stream, mainline, diesel electric.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well everyone, you have provided us with all sorts of interesting guesses and suggestions. You all seem so eager to know what we are doing so it seems cruel to hold it in any longer, so here’s a sneak peek!

As someone of you may know, Lima released a number of Class 33s in CIE livery, masquerading as an A Class. It seemed fitting to complete that circle since we are doing a proper A Class with IRM, so here is our A in Class 33 livery! Other liveries are available, such as triple grey construction sector which we feel is fitting for an Irish loco in British outline guide!

post-7114-0-93894700-1542969900_thumb.png

We know, you are all beside yourselves with excitement! Please form an orderly queue at our stand tomorrow to place your orders. We think that this is going to be such a winner we have drafted in additional staff to deal with demand!

See you tomorrow!

Fran

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There's currently only one manufacturer making a decent class 37, that some on here say still requires 6work to make totally accurate. Hattons have taken the plunge to invest in producing an up to date specification class 66. More power to them.

My thinking is that Accurascale are going to delight us with an up to date specification class 37. There is room in the market for it, mixed traffic, multiple liveries, multiple eras. Bachmann aren't likely to upgrade theirs, Hornby are in a mess at the moment, the time is ripe.

As I said earlier, main stream, mainline, diesel electric.

Or as they used to say on ye olde RMwebbe there's still room for the definitive class 37.

There probably is. SLW have shown that there's money for a high spec Derby type 2.

• RMweb Gold

Well everyone, you have provided us with all sorts of interesting guesses and suggestions. You all seem so eager to know what we are doing so it seems cruel to hold it in any longer, so here’s a sneak peek!

As someone of you may know, Lima released a number of Class 33s in CIE livery, masquerading as an A Class. It seemed fitting to complete that circle since we are doing a proper A Class with IRM, so here is our A in Class 33 livery! Other liveries are available, such as triple grey construction sector which we feel is fitting for an Irish loco in British outline guide!

attachicon.gifA18B15F8-9F3C-4C95-AF77-47C3BC11A91D.png

We know, you are all beside yourselves with excitement! Please form an orderly queue at our stand tomorrow to place your orders. We think that this is going to be such a winner we have drafted in additional staff to deal with demand!

See you tomorrow!

Fran

Yes indeed - will escape from CMC stand to come over and say hello again!

As for an Irish loco in construction livery - ye could be digging a hole for yerselfs there!

Phil

• Like 1

See you tomorrow!

Fran

Sorry Fran it's got the wrong sand boxes / wipers / handrails / second man's seat, so I'll pass.

And the tender is missing......

See you tomorrow!

Fran

I won't lie, I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping for an updated version of the Hornby GWR 0-4-0 in CIE livery.

I'm

I can see how you might fit a donkey jacket, but how would you get the wellies over the bogies?

I'm sure that the moderators would want to be satisfied that no donkeys will be harmed in your proposed conversion.

I know little of the class 31 except slowly riding behind it into and out of KX. But what was later classified class 30 (Brush type 2) currently has a most unsatisfactory RTR model. I am expecting this to be produced by 'someone' as I have only recently finally worked out how to fix its terrible deficiency, without marring the undoubted excellence of most of it...

• Like 1