Head illuminated Magnifier

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Take a look at ebay too - the same things are on there and usually cheaper (I often buy items direct from china - always turn up fine, but you may have to wait 2 or 3 weeks etc. The savings over uk items are often worth it.  Sometimes items advertised as coming from china are already in uk and turn up in a couple of days,

Edited by polybear

• RMweb Gold

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/modelmaker-led-head-magnifier-with-5-lenses-mm013/

I got these, very comfortable, decent price, and you're keeping money in model railways! Highly recommended. I've just oredered another pair for a beautician who tried mine out.

Mike.

I have an Optivisor and it is very comfortable which makes all the difference.  I have a Draper version with light which is unusable as is uncomfortable and just generally inferior.  Do not underestimate the importance of the word "comfort" over features such as lighting.

Be aware on internet purchases that I bought an Optivisor as an import from the US but would have been cheaper from UK once added VAT and Post Office £8 fee for collecting VAT and the hassle of going to a post office.

• RMweb Gold

I picked up one similar to this but cheaper ( About £15)

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Led-Headband-Magnifier-prcode-999-4509?p=gs&gclid=CjwKCAiA8rnfBRB3EiwAhrhBGnCrCK0_owuQODMrCLn1i0d6Fj5TdKLSQkDbrG2z9wGReFmcN0r73hoC87wQAvD_BwE

Might have been somewhere like Squires.

It took a bit of work with tape and felt to make it more comfortable but for the few times I use it it's fine, I find I don't use the light o it prefering to light whatever it is I'm working on.

What gets used the most is a fixed magnifier with light on the bench. Something like this

https://www.heamar.co.uk/daylight-magnifying-lamps/64631-daylight-mag-lamp-s-5022737012007.html

I know I got it from Squires at Warley a few years ago and paid £40 for it.

• RMweb Premium

I get on perfectly well with a pair of 2.5 magnification reading glasses I bought in Lidl for about £2.  As for your other query, yes, good light, IMO, is every bit as important as magnification.

DT

• RMweb Premium

I bought this recently, really happy with it. 

I picked one of these up at Wakefield show today. It feels really comfortable, just slightly heavier than wearing glasses. I have tried ones with a full head band but find that I get hot and sweaty (too much info!) round the head with those. If they are tight they are uncomfortable and if they are loose they slip around.

The "glasses" type seems much better to me.

Must get in the shed and try it out in action later.

• Like 1

One thing about the headband is that you can still wear safety specs under them. Depends what you are doing but I always where safety specs when soldering.

You may be happy the specs version gives coverage but i chuck it up as a thought

• Like 1

I picked one of these up at Wakefield show today. It feels really comfortable, just slightly heavier than wearing glasses. I have tried ones with a full head band but find that I get hot and sweaty (too much info!) round the head with those. If they are tight they are uncomfortable and if they are loose they slip around.

The "glasses" type seems much better to me.

Must get in the shed and try it out in action later.

You wouldn’t mind doing a selfie while you’re wearing it would you?

• RMweb Premium

You wouldn’t mind doing a selfie while you’re wearing it would you?

Never done a selfie in my life and not starting now!!!

I look daft enough anyway without wearing something from Star Wars on my head.

I get on perfectly well with a pair of 2.5 magnification reading glasses I bought in Lidl for about £2. As for your other query, yes, good light, IMO, is every bit as important as magnification.

DT

That's ok but I use 3 in reading glasses.

I've had a cheapo one for years and was happy with it until this year. I went on a model railway training course and forgot to take it. I borrowed an optivisor and it was amazing how much better a precision ground glass magnifier is. As soon as I got home, my cheapo went into the back of the cupboard and I bought one along with the illuminated attachment.

Smashing.  

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/11/2018 at 07:48, Enterprisingwestern said:

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/modelmaker-led-head-magnifier-with-5-lenses-mm013/

I got these, very comfortable, decent price, and you're keeping money in model railways! Highly recommended. I've just oredered another pair for a beautician who tried mine out.

Mike.

1 hour ago, RonnieS said:

I thought I'd restart this (4 years old) thread as I am struggling a bit on transferring, figure painting etc.

My feeling is the Bachmann item but any advice welcome. Thanks in anticipation

As an update, my Bachmann version started to fall apart after a couple of years usage, loose clip lens mountings, hinges wearing etc, so I shopped round for a similar item and purchased a white similar looking one from Axminster, seems better made and from better quality items and is lasting longer than the Bachmann one, although the nose bridge piece is a bit intrusive and needs a bit more padding.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, RonnieS said:

There is a big price difference if it's this one ? https://www.axminstertools.com/lightcraft-professional-led-headband-magnifier-107724?queryID=5d51e8464853b311f06bd9c88034c65e

If you got 2 years regulator use from the Bachy one. It may do me as I may only use it occasionally.

Thanks for you help.

This one;

https://www.axminstertools.com/lightcraft-led-magnifier-spectacles-headband-107725?queryID=72f88548126a28f952ab5b4e182857dc

Although the one you reference is probably even better.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RonnieS said:

My feeling is the Bachmann item but any advice welcome. Thanks in anticipation

Being a bit of a cheapskate, I bought mine at the flea market in Bakewell. Cost ~£6 if I recall.

2031801414_Pagesfrom2022-LEDHeadlightModel9892E(BakewellMarket).jpg.8a528b954bcf9dd02cf764cf40e58c81.jpg

I had to add some 'foam' (an offcut of track underlay) to the head contact areas to make it comfortable.

Ian

• Thanks 1