Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

It was my article on the 47 marker light conversion with brass tube and clear rod. I used it on an early Bachmann conversion pictured below (now in the hands of mr arnington off of here) I think it makes a world of difference to the no two end.

post-6894-0-59214700-1294012617_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cav

Durham Trains of Stanley are doing it. http://durhamtrainso...co.uk/my_store/ nothingon the site yet but they do talk about it in store and their add in a recent mag mentioned it. They also have plans to do the Mk2's and ML3's and possibly DBSO.

This would be brilliant and I'm sure would sell well with all the Scottish scene modellers out there... also the DBSO has other potential liveries too for the Anglo modeller. Bring it on Durham Trains! :D:D:D:D:D

But they need to announce at least the ScotRail Mk2/3s before more folk custom paint their own rakes like Waverley West etc who have shown what's possible...

Received my 47145 today from Rails of Sheffield .. first impressions of the model is livery is neatly applied, although the paint around the fan grill has been rubbed off for some reason, possible cause could be overgluing the gan grill and removing the glue resulting in the paint coming off also ... the three peice ploughs included in the bag of details are nicely moulded and dont have the wierd Score lines like Bachmanns' class 37 ploughs, although I suspect that these may now be included with future releases, also included are various vaccum pipes and what looks to be some form of springing moulding that attaches somewhere, not quite sure where they go, included as well are a neatly done set of etched name plates and crests to cover over the printed ones. THe model could probably benefit from fine wire grab rails on the cab endsm as well as the NRM radio airiels. The long rang fuel tanks are also well portrayed as well, and beleive this is one of the first models that Bachmann have modelled this type on, this area does look to be rather bare, and could benefit from the cut off switch, and other such things like the drainage taps and traction cables etc. OTher things that could be changed are the steeply sloping bufferbeam sides also.

Considering my test track isnt in the best of states, the model runs rather nicely from the box bot hsmoothly and quietly compared to the Vi-trains model. It uses the usual combination of yellow and white LEDs for the marker lights and red for the tail lights which can be switched off using the switch from underneath the fuel tanks. the yellow LEDs are also used for the cab lighting which also I think can be switched off using the switch underneath the model.

Hopefully grab some pictures later of it and commence to ruin Detail it in due course :D

NL

Finally taken a few photos of my 47145...

First of all apologies if they're not the best quality and also apologies that they're a little late...i'm a little rushed at the moment with other things. Hopefully my shots capture the feel of the model well and I've tried to focus on the many details of it. Given time I shall probably take some more (better) shots once I've carried out detailing on the model.

As I said before, this is a very good model on the whole... but somethings which I have just noticed that people may want to pay attention too...

- My model has some glue on the engine room door. This is nowhere near anything that I would have expected to be glued down so I can't really understand how it got there. Unfortunately I feel this is quite derogatory to the model as it is quite obvious close up and if I try to remove it I think I may end up damaging the model, hence I shall probably try to get it exchanged in the near future. Given that Nick L also describes glue on the roof grilles, maybe this could be a common problem.

- Also some of the joins in the paint aren't very well executed...on my example most are ok, but the join between the cab end yellow and the bodyside blue is very poorly done. I wouldn't descibe the join as fuzzy (I could just about accept this) it is more wavy in appearance and not what I would really expect in a model.

I must stress though that I am being very picky here.. and usually I wouldn't mind some of these issues but A) its a limited edition model and I'm reluctant to carry out any work I don't have to. B)47145 is an important loco to me so I want my model to look as realistic as possible.

Enough of the ranting...now for the pictures.

post-7648-0-12560400-1294159901_thumb.jpg

post-7648-0-60624000-1294160467_thumb.jpg

post-7648-0-85508800-1294159981_thumb.jpg

post-7648-0-00104300-1294160622_thumb.jpg

post-7648-0-82314200-1294160635_thumb.jpg

post-7648-0-30688000-1294160652_thumb.jpg

post-7648-0-43310900-1294160655_thumb.jpg

A picutre of my "effort in progress" of 47145 in no particular order jobs carried out are chunky front handrails replaced with 0.5mm wire, Vi trains speedo cable added, airiel replaced with fine wire, traction cables etc added on the underframe: still in requirement of paint, marker light lenses painted silver, windscreen washer jets added, bufferbeam detailed by plugging orginal holes and re-drilling new holes and adding shawplan and Hornby pipes. I may also replace the Bachmann Screw links as well as to me they stick out a bit too far. Still to add are the MU connectors on the cab ends, as it currently stands the model is in 1992-1993(?) condition and I woudl like to model in it circa 1996 condition just before it got its cut away bufferbeams, more to follow on my blog

NL

post-3095-0-45191700-1294612636_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just seen another new retailer commissioned Bachmann Class 47 on the Signal Box website. This time it's 47972 "The Royal Army Ordnance Corps" in Central Services livery (31-650W) - http://www.thesignalbox.co.uk/index_new.php?pg=3&p_cat_id=110&prod_id=14277. Presumably it will also be available from Modelzone. Not so cheap at £104.99, but it's certainly another attractive livery and I imagine it worked the odd passenger train in these colours?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Since MREMag has stated that the latest standard releases of Bachmann Class 47s are on their way, has anyone seen an air freighted review sample? In particular, does the two-tone green SYP version of D1572 (32-804) have the three fixed roof grills or the later twin Serck opening panels? And has the size of the SYP been corrected (it extended too far round the cab sides on the previous releases).

I'm thinking of pre-ordering but want to be sure it's correct before doing so.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

47972 "The Royal Army Ordnance Corps" in Central Services livery (31-650W) - http://www.thesignal...0&prod_id=14277...

...I imagine it worked the odd passenger train in these colours?

Answering my own question, I've now found a few photos of the loco on drags - of Mk3 (WCML)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47118s-pixs/5288309579/ plus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/5830347973/

and Mk4 (ECML)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tunnel_one/5710092485/

trains, neither of which rakes I have, but so far not hauling Mk1 or Mk2 stock!!!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just seen pictures of the two new Bachmann Class 47s in original body style in two-tone green and BR Blue. As numbered, both correctly have the three fixed roof grills instead of the later automatic twin Serck louvres. However, Bachmann appears not to have upgraded the cabs (i.e. those with headcodes as opposed to the later plated versions), so the front windows still have the Class 57 rivets as did the first batch of Bachmann 47s. In addition, the two-tone green version D1572 still has the same incorrectly shaped small yellow headcode panel, which is too wide.

All in all a disappointment and in my case enough to stop me buying - until Bachmann get these things right I will stick with my Heljan ones.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

Some retailers have been using the Bachmann catalogue images of the previous versions of the models with the new numbers superimposed upon them so a little care is required.

Having said that I just cannot believe Bachmann have produced yet another banger blue 47 with the three part fixed roof grilles again!! There are still lots of unsold ones of the previous version floating around as many BR bluers want the later Serck version as it was far more common of course.

I've just seen pictures of the two new Bachmann Class 47s in original body style in two-tone green and BR Blue. As numbered, both correctly have the three fixed roof grills instead of the later automatic twin Serck louvres. However, Bachmann appears not to have upgraded the cabs (i.e. those with headcodes as opposed to the later plated versions), so the front windows still have the Class 57 rivets as did the first batch of Bachmann 47s. In addition, the two-tone green version D1572 still has the same incorrectly shaped small yellow headcode panel, which is too wide.

All in all a disappointment and in my case enough to stop me buying - until Bachmann get these things right I will stick with my Heljan ones.

They have made a hash of the water tanks too!

• RMweb Premium

Taking another look they appear suspiciously like the Class 57 ones fittied to the first production run with the gauge on the far right hand end although at least not picked out in white this time!!

Edited by John M Upton

They have used the 57 tanks. At No.1 end,. you can see the battery box is a separate concern and . although not picked out in white, the fuel gauge on the long-range tanks at no.2 end is evident. Can't see the windscreens clearly enough to comment on the Hattons photos.

The bogies, happily, are the 47, not 57, ones.

• Like 1

Well that's very useful critique, isnt it :scratchhead: Are you saying they're the same as the original releases, or have new errors been introduced?

Looks like a new mistake to me, they dont look like the long range tank on the modern 47/57 which only has a tank on one side. 145 has that in the photos above.

It should look like the photo of 284 at the top of the page!

As i said they have made a hash of it, my Bachmann 47408 looks better than that.

Real thing is here.

http://www.class47.c...g=0925020503000

Edited by 47423

Can't see the windscreens clearly enough to comment on the Hattons photos. The bogies, happily, are the 47, not 57, ones.

Saw one in the case at Cheltenham model centre on Saturday. The rivets are still there, so are the fuel tanks, but at least the additional pipework on the bogies has gone. Was hoping this was all going to be corrected this time around. Shall pass on this release.

• RMweb Premium

They have used the 57 tanks.

The bogies, happily, are the 47, not 57, ones.

Was hoping this was all going to be corrected this time around.

The tanks really should have been right, because Bachmann has the correct tooling as used under the Parcels Red 47474 (31-652) http://www.ehattons.com/23488/Bachmann_UK_31_652_Class_47_diesel_47474_Sir_Rowland_Hill_in_Parcels_red_grey_livery/StockDetail.aspx.

I too was hoping the window rivets would have been corrected, but that would presumably have required changing the tooling. Clealry that's not (yet?) on the cards.

What a disappointment.

I was hanging on for the new release knowing the windscreens, tanks and bogie frames would be correct for an original 3 part radiatored Brush type 4.

Surely if the 47474 shell is correct then the new releases should use that, with "glass" headcodes.

Another Barwell cockup if the reports are correct.

Guest Max Stafford

That's maybe a bit strong a turn of phrase in light of all the stuff Bachmann are getting right at the moment. Nevertheless it is a disappointment and as someone who was looking forward to a nice GSYP, Serck grilled loco I do feel that this is an opportunity wasted and probably lost sales as a result. I wonder if perhaps there was an over-production of first run bodyshells which have been used here rather than scrapped, bearing in mind that the bogie issue is now addressed.

Dave.

Yes, I was surprised when my pre-order for Serck-fitted D18XX turned up as D1572 with those frustrating tri-grilles. Happily I can live with the screen rivets in green as they're barely noticeable compared to GFYE, and as we recently had a photo of near-sister D1577 on the Waverley Route in this condition, an easy renumber is available and I won't be querying sending the loco back. However, I was expecting the much more versatile (and for my needs, appropriate) Serck equivalent. So ruddy annoyingly, I'm still waiting and the retro-painting of a couple of GFYE specimens has reared its ugly bonce again.

An opportunity taken by Barwell: an opportunity missed for some of us. Darnit.

• RMweb Premium

Surely if the 47474 shell is correct then the new releases should use that, with "glass" headcodes.

I presume the cab is a single piece rather than the headcode panel being a separate insert, so the cab used for 47474 would not be suitable. But Bachmann has now done enough different cab variants - flush and not, with or without radio aerial, surely one more would not have been an unreasonable expectation.

And Bachmann has made a few silly livery errors on recent models. Both variants of the BR green late crest small prairie released this year have one boiler band lining missing to name just one (repeated!) error despite the catalogue images being correct.

Edited by brushman47544

I presume the cab is a single piece rather than the headcode panel being a separate insert, so the cab used for 47474 would not be suitable. But Bachmann has now done enough different cab variants - flush and not, with or without radio aerial, surely one more would not have been an unreasonable expectation.

And Bachmann has made a few silly livery errors on recent models. Both variants of the BR green late crest small prairie released this year have one boiler band lining missing to name just one (repeated!) error despite the catalogue images being correct.

Indeed.

I have been very receptive of Bachmann for the last couple of years - actually pretty much since Bachmann corrected the errors in the first series of class 47s and brought out 47474 and 47535. I believe 47535's unique numbering was even reproduced on the model - too late a period for me, but nice all the same.

Was it a case of the Chinese wishing to "dispose" of a load of incorrect mouldings ? If this is the case why didn't Bachmann do a load of 47270s, which I suspect would be closer to the prototype class 57 windscreens.

Now I obviously dont know how these errors occured either design or factory stage but I am starting to think that all this wonderful Chinese production is not living up to expectations for either Hornby, Bachmann or Dapol if we include the problems with the KMRC beattie (thankfully corrected). When they get it right it is brilliant but when its wrong, oh dear.

The "cheap" manufacturing is not so cheap either, maybe its time to open a manufacturing plant in this Country, anyone know where one could be based?

Just my thoughts on it.

• Like 1

Now I obviously dont know how these errors occured either design or factory stage but I am starting to think that all this wonderful Chinese production is not living up to expectations for either Hornby, Bachmann or Dapol if we include the problems with the KMRC beattie (thankfully corrected). When they get it right it is brilliant but when its wrong, oh dear.

The "cheap" manufacturing is not so cheap either, maybe its time to open a manufacturing plant in this Country, anyone know where one could be based?

Just my thoughts on it.

It would take a much greater rise in costs and cockups yet to make Britain viable (well unless the Euro still implodes and sends us to the 3rd world..).

I can't see Bachmann - the Chinese company, moving here though!

Its definately possible someone forgot to get rid of an incorrect mould over there.

• Like 1