Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

Hi All,

Has anyone any indication whether the tanks from under the Rails 47145 (and I presume the Modelzone 47972) will be available at some point as spares?

Dave

Bachmann spares are only available through their service department. Give them a call or contact them through their website. Feel free to post on here your findings

Steve

Hi All,

Has anyone any indication whether the tanks from under the Rails 47145 (and I presume the Modelzone 47972) will be available at some point as spares?

Dave

47972 does not have long range fuel tanks like 47145. It has battery boxes only, as per Bachmann's standard models of 47535 and 47612.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v2.php?img=1151052255211

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

chaps, i was thinking on ordering D1572 until i read the last 2 pages of this thread, could someone tell me what is wrong with the vents?

cheers

Mike

There's nothing "wrong" with the vents on D1572. Early build Class 47s had three fixed radiator grills and it is this version that has been modelled by Bachmann on both their latest green (D1572) and BR blue (1547) versions. Later 47s, and all at some point, were fitted from new or were converted to the more familiar twin Serck automatic grills. The point I think being made is that this is the second time Bachmann has gone for the three fixed grills rather than the more common Serck type, notwithstanding the original catalogue image was of D1825 with the Serck grills, which many including me are waiting for.

This D1572 is an improvement on the earlier models in some respects (bogies in particular), but it still has the raised rivets round the cab windows (as per Class 57s) and the SYP is too wide if you compare the model with pictures of the prototypes - it should stop short of the side corners.

I have a BR blue Bachmann 47404 with sound for a couple of years already, that has gone through a lot of trouble.

The name Hadrian is on both sides, Hadrian must have been not such a nice guy I am afraid :nono:

First of all I noticed an too visible paint stain on one the sides when I came home with it.

Bachmann UK has replaced the body under warranty, I did send the whole loco to them as removing the body myself did not seem like such a straight-forward job :nono:

Major problem was the utter annoying oblique "hanging" of the loco when you looked at it head-on.

Unfortunately I noticed that AFTER I got my loco back from Bachmann UK.

However I lived with that problem 3 years but was never really happy with this otherwise very nice loco.

It was wobbling from left to right but worse of all it did NOT come to a standstil upright but oblique.

Finally I decided to send it off to a Bachmann repairer in Melbourne which was a great idea !.

Both bogie towers including wheels and bogieframe altogether has been replaced and the result is TERRIFIC (see picture).

The only thing is that the pipes on the bogies are now black with the rest of bogieframe while originally they were white, but I can live perfectly with that.

Another thing to be utmost careful with are the breakshoe assemblies at the inner end of the bogieframes.

They are very prone to breaking off.

When I got my 47 back one was missing but luckily Bachmann was able to send me a new bogieframe.

Now has anyone ever tried to REMOVE a bogie frame from its chassis ??

Well, removing the body is just a piece cake in comparison.

You need to be some kind of Houdini in order to achieve that in a proper way (virtually impossible without demolishing the whole bogie tower I think). So I decided to remove one of those break assemblies from the bogieframe Bachmann had send me and simply glue it on the existing bogieframe.

I finally feel satisfied and happy with my 47 after 3 years, it is running well, and the sound is great, but it took a long way.

And I am sure that driver in the cab will agree with me.

He must have felt like "hanging in a curve" all the time ! :no:

Greetings, have a good X-Mas (I most certainly will after this !).

Jan

post-14036-0-16295900-1324265664_thumb.jpg

post-14036-0-35886300-1324265740_thumb.jpg

There's nothing "wrong" with the vents on D1572. Early build Class 47s had three fixed radiator grills and it is this version that has been modelled by Bachmann on both their latest green (D1572) and BR blue (1547) versions. Later 47s, and all at some point, were fitted from new or were converted to the more familiar twin Serck automatic grills. The point I think being made is that this is the second time Bachmann has gone for the three fixed grills rather than the more common Serck type, notwithstanding the original catalogue image was of D1825 with the Serck grills, which many including me are waiting for.

Mr Delamar, may I suggest that you check the prototype you want to model here, as I've had a few problems. I've had the 32-802/47035 (Domino Blue) version for a year or so... and have now started to detail it. However because it's not really domino... but the black surround marker light version... and I wanted to have a 4-digit head code version, I decided that the 32-803/47148 (4-digit blue version) would be a good start point... and managed to bag a winning bid on a well know site. However... horror! This has the fixed three piece grills on the roof... no 47 that I'd ever seen had these !

I had a chat with our friendly Mr Hanson... but no he's not doing etched ones, and we decided that the best course of action would be to actually cut a new code panel in the front of the original one 32-802 as this has the right (close to) roof.

I did some digging and I think that the reason Bachmann might have done this is that 47148 retained the fixed grill into its Blue TOPS period. I've just found a picture of 47146 in Green (TOPS) full yellow ends with the fixed grills ... in 1975 (MLI No 800, page 36)... but other than that, I've found no pictures of the fixed grills post 1968.

The changes were introduced, but the look of it, quite early on. There was a design change to resolve a maintenance access issue for the air brake equipment; this involved the removal of the radiator header tank.. so to ensure "proper" cooling, new thermostatically controlled shutter grills were fitted... opening only when needed. I'm sure someone will have the modification number... applicability and embodiment programme... but it seems that some western locos retained the original system... perhaps they use Vac braked stock mostly (?) Maybe the different manufacturers had different schemes (Crewe vs Loughborough?).. although MLI suggests differences were limited to lamp brackets and above-windscreen beading.

Anyway... I'm now having to cut and shut a 47 to get something representative of the mid 1970s... which is disappointing. Most new models now emerging (with the 4-digit panel) still seem to have the fixed 3-piece grill... in my mind... unless you're modelling "early 60s", there's a risk that this will be wrong. I've seen Bachmann do a 4-digit Green with full yellow ends (don't know the number)... and that has the two-piece sercke shutter grills... and I did wonder about trying to get a body of one of these... and doing a respray. But, my old 32-802 has now had glazing and hadrails removed and most of one headcode recess drilled out... and the front end ridges smoothed. A full respray will be likely... but I presume this is what we'll have to do for accuracy!

I was quite disappointed to see that the majority of Bach releases have this (IMHO) wrong roof... It still bemuses me that they'd target Pre and post TOPS Blue with this config... when they did have a "right" or better one.. looks like 32-801 (Loco 1764). Shame.

I even considered getting a Heljan one... but it's just too tubby for my liking.

Oh, and yes, my project will be blogged... as I did for the 55; please give me time. My modelling mojo has taken a hit... but hopefully a few days off work (Christmas) might (I hope, I really hope) help.

So.., check the protoype that you want to model... and see what's available if you want accuracy.

Shame ViT's don't do the 4-digit headcode... cause they look quite nice. But Bach will do for me... as I can do some modellling on it!

Oh... and I'm no 47 expert... although I'll probably know a little more by the time I've finished this project... and I stand to be corrected as I have only printed matter for reference

Jon

Edited by Jon020

I did some digging and I think that the reason Bachmann might have done this is that 47148 retained the fixed grill into its Blue TOPS period. I've just found a picture of 47146 in Green (TOPS) full yellow ends with the fixed grills ... in 1975 (MLI No 800, page 36)... but other than that, I've found no pictures of the fixed grills post 1968.

... Most new models now emerging (with the 4-digit panel) still seem to have the fixed 3-piece grill... in my mind... unless you're modelling "early 60s", there's a risk that this will be wrong. ...

I was quite disappointed to see that the majority of Bach releases have this (IMHO) wrong roof... It still bemuses me that they'd target Pre and post TOPS Blue with this config... when they did have a "right" or better one.. looks like 32-801 (Loco 1764). Shame.

Jon mate, with the greatest of respect it is not 'wrong' by any definition (although it's arguably true that there could be better choices). There's no question that Bachmann have modelled an actual loco with 47148, in fact all of their fixed grille models are perfectly accurate in this respect, whatever number they have.

The change to Serck grilles on new build was made quite early, as also was the retrofitting on any loco built with dual braking - but other locos that had been built VB only were only modded as and when they were DB fitted. That took a long time - from around 1969 until 1975ish, so it's far from impossible to find fixed grille locos in the '70s. Brush Veteran has posted shots of them and it's been covered on this and other forums many times since the model came out.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

Jon mate, with the greatest of respect it is not 'wrong' by any definition (although it's arguably true that there could be better choices). There's no question that Bachmann have modelled an actual loco with 47148, in fact all of their fixed grille models are perfectly accurate in this respect, whatever number they have.

The change to Serck grilles on new build was made quite early, as also was the retrofitting on any loco built with dual braking - but other locos that had been built VB only were only modded as and when they were DB fitted. That took a long time - from around 1969 until 1975ish, so it's far from impossible to find fixed grille locos in the '70s. Brush Veteran has posted shots of them and it's been covered on this and other forums many times since the model came out.

Thanks for putting me right. I will scan previous threads for this discussion. My area of interest is ECML... so these were of the modded types. And sorry, I meant that I'd never seen one (in real life) rather than pics in books etc... the Bach models are little awkward in this regard.., but I'll keep an eye out for a 32-801 body for a future convesion... should I do a second one. I'll be aiming for a -400 model, per those in and around KingsX

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but Bachmann's new Scotrail liveried 47710 is shown with a Haymarket castle logo above the nameplate and a cab radio aerial fitted Bachmann website 47710. Is this combination correct? Is it what we will get?

I have found a photo of 47710 with a HA castle and no radio aerial dated 3.9.85 http://www.flickr.co...N03/6721236121/ and another dated 25.2.88 with an Eastfield scottie and what looks like a newly fitted radio aerial http://www.flickr.co...013/7158846369/ (shiny metal over dirt).

Obviously not difficult to fix, but it would be nice if Bachmann got it right so I didn't have to. Does anyone know chapter and verse, please?

Edited by brushman47544

Mr Delamar, may I suggest that you check the prototype you want to model here, as I've had a few problems. I've had the 32-802/47035 (Domino Blue) version for a year or so... and have now started to detail it. However because it's not really domino... but the black surround marker light version... and I wanted to have a 4-digit head code version, I decided that the 32-803/47148 (4-digit blue version) would be a good start point... and managed to bag a winning bid on a well know site. However... horror! This has the fixed three piece grills on the roof... no 47 that I'd ever seen had these !

I had a chat with our friendly Mr Hanson... but no he's not doing etched ones, and we decided that the best course of action would be to actually cut a new code panel in the front of the original one 32-802 as this has the right (close to) roof.

The changes were introduced, but the look of it, quite early on. There was a design change to resolve a maintenance access issue for the air brake equipment; this involved the removal of the radiator header tank.. so to ensure "proper" cooling, new thermostatically controlled shutter grills were fitted... opening only when needed. I'm sure someone will have the modification number... applicability and embodiment programme... but it seems that some western locos retained the original system... perhaps they use Vac braked stock mostly (?) Maybe the different manufacturers had different schemes (Crewe vs Loughborough?).. although MLI suggests differences were limited to lamp brackets and above-windscreen beading.

Anyway... I'm now having to cut and shut a 47 to get something representative of the mid 1970s... which is disappointing. Most new models now emerging (with the 4-digit panel) still seem to have the fixed 3-piece grill... in my mind... unless you're modelling "early 60s", there's a risk that this will be wrong. I've seen Bachmann do a 4-digit Green with full yellow ends (don't know the number)... and that has the two-piece sercke shutter grills... and I did wonder about trying to get a body of one of these... and doing a respray. But, my old 32-802 has now had glazing and hadrails removed and most of one headcode recess drilled out... and the front end ridges smoothed. A full respray will be likely... but I presume this is what we'll have to do for accuracy!

I even considered getting a Heljan one... but it's just too tubby for my liking.

Oh, and yes, my project will be blogged... as I did for the 55; please give me time. My modelling mojo has taken a hit... but hopefully a few days off work (Christmas) might (I hope, I really hope) help.

So.., check the protoype that you want to model... and see what's available if you want accuracy.

Shame ViT's don't do the 4-digit headcode... cause they look quite nice. But Bach will do for me... as I can do some modellling on it!

Oh... and I'm no 47 expert... although I'll probably know a little more by the time I've finished this project... and I stand to be corrected as I have only printed matter for reference

Jon

Personally I have found the Green FYE release from the first batch to be my preferred base model for BR Blue domino repaints, having glazed headcodes and serck grilles. The numbers are easily removeable from the headcode glazing easily with thinners and a cotton bud and to be honest what with the rivets on the window, plus any boiler roof conversions for your chosen prototype a repaint is on the cards anyway.

Personally I have found the Green FYE release from the first batch to be my preferred base model for BR Blue domino repaints, having glazed headcodes and serck grilles. The numbers are easily removeable from the headcode glazing easily with thinners and a cotton bud and to be honest what with the rivets on the window, plus any boiler roof conversions for your chosen prototype a repaint is on the cards anyway.

Yes, I agree... I just prefer the glazed end that I hope I'll have achieved with the reprofiled front end which looks more realistic IMHO - per my blog.

However, as we're on the subject of these models, I feel it appropriate to share some recent experience

I recently tried to order some replacement bogie sideframes , and requested the newer ones... mainly because these are for a 47 rather than for the 57 that the early ones came supplied with. Just bare in mind that these cost about £6 each... whereas side frames for a Heljan loco are 90p each !!!! Bachmann had to be chased for the parts I ordered; when I chased them 2 weeks after ordering the new bogies (they'd taken my money but not sorted it)... they admitted that they didn't know which ones I wanted. I explained (again) that I wanted the ones fitted to the more recent models with the correct details rather than the wrong early (57 like) ones. I gave them serial numbers of recent 47s to work to... they accepted all of this and agreed to sort them out and send them. They arrived two days later - and they were the wrong ones... so I was a bit pieved on the basis that they'd not despatched due to not knowing what to despatch and once clarifed, they sent the wrong ones.

Last week, I got the opportunity to phone them and seek clarification: they acknowledged what I'd asked for and what they'd done, I explained what I had asked for (that they said they would deliver) and then they stated that they were never given any of these to handle as spares so they can't provide any.

Confused..? I was.

So, if you have a "new" 47, don't loose the bogies or damage the frames as there are no spares at Bachmann.

They have offered me a refund but I do need bogie frames for the loco... so I''ll ponder this for a few days. I'm just a bit pieved that I was perhaps misled a little and that the knowledge of the staff was not quite what I would have expected.

Needless to say that this has not assissted the complete lack of modelling inspiration that I'm currently experiencing (mainly work/life etc issues)... so I'm in no rush to decide on the next step... but sooner or later, if I'm to maintain what promised to be an accurate 47, I will have to continue.

Jon

On a slightly different tack.............I have 47474 in parcels. I like it, it's niiicccceee. However I would like to get another and do a renumber - has anyone ascertained whcih other parcels 47s could be done from this one - 47575 maybe 'city of hereford ' ?

In case anyone has missed this 4 more Bachmann 47s have now been announced:

31-650M Class 47 BR Blue 1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel in BR Blue - Modelzone LE

31-657 Class 47 47715 'Haymarket' BR Network Southeast

31-658 Class 47 47190 'Pectinidae' BR Petroleum Sector - Weathered

31-658DC Class 47 47190 'Pectinidae' BR Petroleum Sector - Pristine with Sound

However Bachmann have also said that 31-654 Class 47 47707 'Holyrood' BR Network South East will now be postponed until 2013/14.

Bruce

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In case anyone has missed this 4 more Bachmann 47s have now been announced:

31-650M Class 47 BR Blue 1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel in BR Blue - Modelzone LE

31-657 Class 47 47715 'Haymarket' BR Network Southeast

31-658 Class 47 47190 'Pectinidae' BR Petroleum Sector - Weathered

31-658DC Class 47 47190 'Pectinidae' BR Petroleum Sector - Pristine with Sound

However Bachmann have also said that 31-654 Class 47 47707 'Holyrood' BR Network South East will now be postponed until 2013/14.

Bruce

Interesting. Where did you hear this from?

Bachmann's website still says Nov/Dec for 47707 in NSE and shows as last updated Tuesday 26 June (i.e. today). It seems strange they should announce a different NSE variant unless there is a body issue they don't have the tooling for. But even so they normally just renumber the loco without changing the catalogue number (as they did for the current GSYP Class 47 32-804 which morfed from D1825 with Sercks to D1572 with 3 fixed grills).

It is also unusual for Bachmann to produce the same loco with and without a DCC decoder. I would have expected a different running number at least, and possibly a different sector livery too. And for a sound version the suffix Bachmann uses is "DS" not "DC".

Edited by brushman47544

Interesting. Where did you hear this from?

Bachmann's website still says Nov/Dec for 47707 in NSE and shows as last updated Tuesday 26 June (i.e. today). It seems strange they should announce a different NSE variant unless there is a body issue they don't have the tooling for. But even so they normally just renumber the loco without changing the catalogue number (as they did for the current GSYP Class 47 32-804 which morfed from D1825 with Sercks to D1572 with 3 fixed grills).

It is also unusual for Bachmann to produce the same loco with and without a DCC decoder. I would have expected a different running number at least, and possibly a different sector livery too. And for a sound version the suffix Bachmann uses is "DS" not "DC".

Rails of Sheffield's latest email bulletin. Also on their twitter account: https://twitter.com/.../railssheffield

Also the two locos are not completely the same - one is weathered the other is not. As regards the prefix, others have questioned this too but Rails say Bachmann have confirmed the loco will be sound.

Bruce

Edited by D400

• RMweb Premium

Interesting change on the NSE there. 47707 is a smooth ender at No 1 end (at least in NSE days) whereas 47715 has panels both ends. Good for me as the renumbering potential increases enormously and has probably got Bachmann a couple of extra sales!

The 3 general release 47 have now been added to the Bachmann website. 32-817 has also been changed from 47791 to 47745 'Royal London Society For The Blind'.

Also new decorated sample images have been added for 47301 and D1677 'Thor'.

Bruce