Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

Still no luck in getting drive hold to work. Apparently it’s easy with Lokprogrammer but I don’t have one. I’m using Sprog 3 and it’s coming up with loads of CV’s but not the higher value ones listed (cv267,268, 372,373,374) on the Accurascale website. Well it does but ones such as 0.255.267 & 268 which are locked and 1.0.267 etc. but none that are simply 267, 268 etc. lots of options to get things wrong here.

Edited by Wolf27
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Still no luck in getting drive hold to work. Apparently it’s easy with Lokprogrammer but I don’t have one. I’m using Sprog 3 and it’s coming up with loads of CV’s but not the higher value ones listed (cv267,268, 372,373,374) on the Accurascale website. Well it does but ones such as 0.255.267 & 268 which are locked and 1.0.267 etc. but none that are simply 267, 268 etc. lots of options to get things wrong here.

I know it's not much help but I was able to get it to work on my Powercab.

On 25/06/2022 at 13:02, thetrains said:

So I've re-fixed the foot steps and guard irons and was about to start on one buffer beam detail and etchings, when I noticed things  shown in the following pics. The plastic must be very weak, noticed a small mark (glue!) above door once I got my magnifiers on, so scraped with fingernail and actually managed to put a bow in the plastic rail!!!!  Never had this happen before with a fingernail scrape on other manufacturers models.Then noticed some paint had come away above bar on fan beam.  I believe Humbrol garter blue is a good match.  I'm almost frightened to touch the thing now, so am gonna have some lunch and come back later. 

EDIT:  I wonder if the body is reversible as this is speedo drive side which I want see going round?

1[1].jpg

3[1].jpg

That's interesting, wonder how easy it will be to 're-number/'re-name a model without damaging the Blue ? Anyone tried this yet ?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, tractor_37260 said:

That's interesting, wonder how easy it will be to 're-number/'re-name a model without damaging the Blue ? Anyone tried this yet ?

A/S showed how easy it was to remove the numbers a few months (and hence pages) back.

Don't ask me which page though!

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Matt C said:

If it's the coupling causing the issue on tight curves and S bends, I'm wondering if a set of Hunt couplings might be a fix ? If nothing else works ? Might be worth investigating 

It’s light Loco, the couplings are free.

Am I doing something wrong? In the e-mail from AS there are links to Support such as fitting bufferbeam detail, body removal etc. When I click on them all I get is a Support page with a pic of 55016 but I can progress no further. Suggestions please, many thanks.

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I am presently in correspondence with AS for the same sort of issue, transitioning from a R3 to straight gives a loud clunk from one bogie and a noticeable jump of the bogie, it has derailed regularly over another curve transition as well.

Yes, I also have the clunk. Does it light engine but doesn't cause a derailment. Once the load of 8 mk1's is added though, there is too much strain to allow the coupling to snap back and the bogie derails 

• RMweb Gold

Fixing a coupler to the bogie creates other issues and mkre compromises. The kinematic system has been extensively tested and while not designed to be able to couple on bends without the hand of god helping out it should not cause any derailment unless perhaps there is a conflict with what it’s pulling?

Edited by McC
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, thetrains said:

I will be putting some pics up tomorrow when Accu. are like;y to see post, and will also forward to Accu. direct.mainly as I think they may have to have a rethink for 31's possibly too late for 37's.  I've had no derailments, but I believe the issue is with the supposed kinematic action, its not following bogie action as on Hby & bach. coaches, and coming off a moderate bend stays stuck in the extended position, the hooks do not line up.  Hence why I cant backup to couple to coaches on an (est.) gentle Radius 8 platform curve.  Out of 11 locos the deltic is only one not to couple.  \not sure |Hun's will cure my issue below.

Pics will show compared to Bach 37 that has NEM and TL fixed to bogie.  Anyway time for bed.  Cheers folks.

I’ve been testing mine with A No 17 Kadee. No problems so far (and pleasingly close coupling) with my minimum 30 inch curves and traversing Peco medium radius points. This is coupled to vehicles with fixed NEM couplers (ie no coupling cam)  - a Bachmann 50ft parcels and a Hornby BG in this case. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Being serious for a moment I am frankly amazed it’s not available on the V5 chips TBH.

I think it is doable on a V5, as I said before.

OTOH since I am still waiting for my Deltic I cannot experiment with this particular project.

I might have a faff with a 66 in the coming days to see what I can do. The braking function is there, as is drive lock so I don't know why it wouldn't be possible.

6 hours ago, philg said:

The latest Zimo decoders do have extensive (beyond NMRA) function remapping, but it does probably need a programmer to manage easily. Not sure if it’s as flexible as ESU though, their function remapping seems to be infinitely tailorable 

Aye, they are probably beyond NMRA, but I don't think configurable to the point of the ESU ones. Having a Lokprogrammer also makes this ridiculously easy on ESU stuff (although DecoderPro is great on Zimo too)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

Do you use JMRI?

If so then here's what I did before accurascale gave a work around.

Add the loco to Decoder pro.  

open the comprehensive programmer and read all the CV's

when finished save under the roster tab.

open the function map tab and scroll down to F5

Under the logical function column it will say Primary Mover, Shift mode 6

Click on change and deselect shift mode 6 and select drive hold.

Write changes to sheet and save under Roster tab before closing.

Worked for me without  removing primary mover.

Brian

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, McC said:

Fixing a coupler to the bogie creates other issues and mkre compromises. The kinematic system has been extensively tested and while not designed to be able to couple on bends without the hand of god helping out it should not cause any derailment unless perhaps there is a conflict with what it’s pulling?

Absolutely nothing to do with stuff you guys have made, but relevant nonthtless is that a lot of kinematic couplers don't have enough movement to allow a straight line between pockets when on an R2 curve.

So if using what should be rigid couplers (which Hunts should work like in reality) then they may derail (I know this from first hand experience) due to the lock on the coupler not being able to create a line parallel to the line between the bogies on an R2 curve (as an approximate mathematical explanation). Hunts bend on radiuses near their limits.

I have ended up designing and 3D printing a solid NEM coupling bar with a bearing in the middle to flex in use whilst staying attached.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, beejack said:

Do you use JMRI?

If so then here's what I did before accurascale gave a work around.

Add the loco to Decoder pro.  

open the comprehensive programmer and read all the CV's

when finished save under the roster tab.

open the function map tab and scroll down to F5

Under the logical function column it will say Primary Mover, Shift mode 6

Click on change and deselect shift mode 6 and select drive hold.

Write changes to sheet and save under Roster tab before closing.

Worked for me without  removing primary mover.

Brian

I’ll give that a go

I'm using hunt couplings on 30 inch radius bends without problem.  I found that the coupling mechanisms are sensitive to poorly laid track however.  I had unexplained derailments over one point in the fiddle yard where no other loco or stock derailed.  On close inspection there was a slight kink in the track where 2 points joined, with a slight change in gradient, never noticed before. Luckily it's not ballasted so a quick adjustment, straightening it out and fixing the gradient and it now runs perfectly.  I've  also noted that with plenty of running over two to three hours now, the slow speed crawl improves.

Just need to see about a couple of replacement chains and then it's all good.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, McC said:

I also did extensive testing of the Kinematic couplings this weekend with my two Deltics …….. with the entire Kinematic coupling mechanism removed at both ends, both locos ran for 40 minutes on each loop and in each direction without a single derailment.

Refit the kinematic coupling to one end only and without the tension lock inserted, then both derail consistently……..there is definitely a snagging somewhere within this mechanism, which as I have previously posted is not helped by my R2 curves and inclines……. However all my other non- kinematic coupled locos seem to be able to tolerate any peculiarities within my layout.

Currently I have two light engine Deltics in the stabling yard pending a cunning plan on an alternative way to mount a coupling.……. Any and all suggestions welcomed.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, thetrains said:

I will be putting some pics up tomorrow when Accu. are like;y to see post, and will also forward to Accu. direct.mainly as I think they may have to have a rethink for 31's possibly too late for 37's.

???  Whilst I wouldn’t for a moment say you aren’t allowed to have thoughts about how you would do things yourself, I would say perhaps give Accurascale some credit before sharing them like this.

Can we at least accept that Accurascale know what they are doing here, considerably better than the vast majority of us if we are honest, and stop being so presumptuous as to think they’ve designed the couplings without any thought?

Absolutely no problem in pointing out the problems, but let’s not tell them they need to redesign future locos, eh?  They are excellent problem solvers, as we’ve already seen. Tell them, and let them work on it as they see fit.

Edited by aureol40012
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Wow!  These models certainly run as well as they look.  Here's a couple of shots from the weekend's activities.  They now need to be weathered (and have their buffer-beam detail added).  It has certainly been worth the wait.  Thank you Accurascale!!

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

What DCC system are you using?

• RMweb Gold

Regarding fitting the pipework to the bufferbeams, it is worth removing any paint on the bonding surfaces of the pipework before you glue it in place. If you don't the paint sticks to the bufferbeam, but the pipe itself doesn't stick to the paint.

DSCF0522.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, uk_pm said:

Wow!  These models certainly run as well as they look.  Here's a couple of shots from the weekend's activities.  They now need to be weathered (and have their buffer-new, detail added).  It has certainly been worth the wait.  Thank you Accurascale!!

Well, there were a few layouts I had hoped our Deltics would turn up on and this is one of them!

We do love seeing them in action on your layouts folks, both in video and photo format. Please share more if you can.

Cheers,

Fran 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3