The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• RMweb Premium

Uriah Heep - Salisbury (One of my fave albums from far-off school days, it still sounds pretty good).

Before that, Barclay James Harvest "Live" - great album from '74.

• RMweb Premium

Chris Rea - The Road To Hell

Specifically at this point 'Daytona' which sounds more like a Leyland National on full chat than a Ferrari to me but never mind... :D

Guest Max Stafford

Miles Davis - The Birth of The Cool.

"Squeaky Balloon" jazz can be a bit hard to listen to, but this is still good stuff, even fifty years on!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Miles Davis - The Birth of The Cool.

"Squeaky Balloon" jazz can be a bit hard to listen to, but this is still good stuff, even fifty years on!

Crikey! Someone likes real music! Have that album somehwere, but at this precise moment I have something by MD with Billy Cobham playing. Recently been using Deb's car to visit her in hospital (gallstones) and had elderly compilation CD playing. Fave "oh, yeah!" recall tracks on it - Don Ellis's Turkish Bath (from Electric Bath album, 1969), and a remix of Lola's Wax The Van (circa 1987). Unknown to an entire RMWeb readership, I'm sure.

Playboy Magazine, which in the days when I saw it was actually a very upmarket publication, full of good stuff, very classy advertising and only a v small % of T&B, used to publish an annual awards section for music, films etc. They got votes from readers and industry peers - e.g. an All-Star guitarist voted for by other top guitarists etc. In the Spring 1970 awards, the Electric Bath album came second out of a very long list - behind Miles Davis's Bitches Brew, the most influential jazz and crossover album of the age, and indeed perhaps starting crossover as a category. I seem to have Bitches Brew in all three formats - vinyl, cassette, CD.

While I'm doing the Yes thing, I had to listen to Roundabout (a mere 8:36). As declared by Jack Black in the film "School of Rock" as being the best keyboard solo ever.

The Pineapple Thief - Someone Here is Missing

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

Mostly Autumn - Pass the Clock, disk 3. This is the one with all the big epics on it, last three songs are all 10+ minutes long. The Gap Is Too Wide always raises the hairs on the back of the neck.

• RMweb Premium

Gone for some nice straightforward melodic rock....

Wishbone Ash albums - "Front Page News" followed by "No Smoke Without Fire".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like no-one's been listening to anything for ten days! Well that's simply wrong, and to redress the balance I had a vinyl 7-inch night while fixing down platform bases - the garage is a CD-free zone, turntables only cool.gif

So, in no particular order:

Apollo 9/ B-Side Baby - ADAM ANT's glam-punk stomp

Dog Eat Dog/ Stand & Deliver - ADAM & THE ANTS

Kids On The Street - ANGELIC UPSTARTS

Sister Europe/ We Love You/ The Ghost In You/ Love My Way - PSYCHEDELIC FURS

Stay/ Slowdown/ There I Go Again - POWER OF DREAMS

Join The Professionals - THE PROFESSIONALS

Line Up/ Stutter/ Connection/ Waking Up - ELASTICA

Spinning Round/ Chance/ Walking On Your Hands - RED LORRY YELLOW LORRY

Truck, Train, Tractor - THE PASTELS

Burn 'Em Down - ABRASIVE WHEELS

and you know what, I enjoyed it so much, I'll be having another vinyl revival taneet! biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

A few Shazaaam snags from the local radio station: (FM 94.9 San Diego)

Laredo - Band of Horses

The Sea - Morcheeba

Wait Up - Tokyo Police Club

Bang Pop - Free Energy

The Weekenders - The Hold Steady

Shadow People - Dr Dog

11/11 - Team Sleep

I forgive me - SFTG

Cold Feelings - Social Distortion

I was a Teenage Anarchist - Against Me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hardly had any time to listen to music since High Voltage in Victoria Park last weekend. Never thought I'd enjoy ELP as much as I did. Opeth, Transatlantic, Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash, Steve Hackett, Dweezel Zappa, The Reasoning and Touchstone all played superb sets too.

Next weekend is the Cambridge Rock Festival :)