The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Working my way through various Manic Street Preachers albums at the moment, Send Away The Tigers and This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours - Some good tracks i havent listend to for ages there...You Stole The Sun From My Heart etc :D

Working through the post-Cambridge Rock Festival albums

Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night.

Credo - Rhetoric. Pleasant but unexceptional, a bit neo-prog by numbers.

Final Conflict - Simple. See above

• RMweb Premium

Been trawling through my Yes collection - now on "Keys To Ascension vol 1", fine live album.

Quite agree, the best of the two volumes. Also includes some good studio material. I particularly like "Be The One".

Dave.

Gustav Holst - The Planets.

I wonder if this is for classical music what Miles Davis' "A Kind of Blue" is for jazz - the one record of the genre found in a great many rock and pop fan's record collections.

Memories of Machines - Warm Winter. As ever, Tim Bowness' voice is sublime and Giancarlo Erra is a new name for me...a back catalogue search is under way. Some intriguing guest musicians appear including Bob Fripp and Pete Hammill, and the album is yet more proof that Steve Wilson is no less than a modern Midas.

Before We Fall; perhaps not truly representative of the album as a whole in terms of instrumentation - most of the album is closer and more intimate, but it sets the tone and gets more melancholy from here on in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFoDu6n8ly4

I'm not listening to anything at the moment because I'm on the computer and the wireless is turned off.

On the car USB, however, there is mainly Finzi (on the Lyrita label), but also Holst, Bax, Dowland, Purcell, Havergall Brian, Perry, and Rawsthorne.

51qIiLGw1qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

steve

Good taste, another fan of Sharon (den Adel), the best figure/voice combination in rock.

But on another note, November Rain on Planet Rock, only one thing for it - FULL VOLUME.

edit - Would you believe it, now they're playing 'Faster', at this rate I'll be listening to PR all day.

• Like 1

Florence & The Machine - What The Water Gave Me

Superb, haunting new track :)

I was about to type "the Top 40 on Radio One, and it's all imbecilic 'aarunbee' " and then the Florence track was played. Great voice, and great song, can't help but be transported back to '87 era Siouxsie. Sadly it was down 5 places. Now it's back to the vapid corporate garbage, as per.

What I will say is, though, that now all downloads count towards the chart stats, it's gone back to the slower-moving chart that I knew as a kid. When things (like this Adele cobblers that's on now) hung around for months going up and down a couple of places.

• RMweb Premium

Something rather special and long waited for tonight, the newly released expanded and fully remastered original sound track from the film 'The Black Hole' by the late great John Barry. One of the biggest missing links in soundtrack collectors libraries for over thirty years.

One of Barry's finest ever soundtracks in my opinion and there is much competition for that honour.

Still, after about a week and the wierd week that ive had - Im stuck listening to the different / electro sounds of Metronomy - certainly quite a different band, and er drummer too B)

The Bay (Yep, that really is Torquay!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PnOG67flRA&feature=relmfu

She Wants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntVV3dTo-qw&feature=relmfu

The Look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFrNsSnk8GM&feature=relmfu

Edited by surfsup