RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Not the 60's but this did it for me, still does! 

Loved that but when I heard this it just blew me away! 

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Not the 60's but this did it for me, still does! 

Loved that but when I heard this it just blew me away! 

I bought the dvd boxset a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised to be reminded that there are four different theme tunes used though the entire series, my favourite is Lalo Schifrin's used in the first series...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

I bought the dvd boxset a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised to be reminded that there are four different theme tunes used though the entire series, my favourite is Lalo Schifrin's used in the first series...

Love that, forgotten all about it! There's a whole rabbit warren of 70's theme tunes and soundtracks that I grew up with, ironically in the 80's! Shaft, Trouble Man, Superfly, Taxi, Hill St Blues to name but a few! 

• Like 3

+1 for the JTQ cut of the Carkeys and Clutch feemtoon, it's a cracker.

Lalo Shifrin's work kinda came to me in a pincer movement of getting into movies and the fact UK hip-hop artists went broader in their search for for funky breakbeats. Thus I started to recognise four-bar drum breaks from Magnum Force, Bullitt etc.

I think whilst Shifrin is my soundtrack maestro of the 70s, John Carpenter does it for me in the 80s.

C6T.

• Like 1

Melbourne seems to breed most  of our more angsty artists, maybe its the  cold weather  down there. Even so they are still usually less Sleaford Mods, more Slide guitar. 

This is a new track from a band I'd not heard of that Spotify sent me this morning. If nothing else I dig the band name - memories of blocks and blocks of "Quality Used Cars" car yards used to line the streets of the suburbs of  most cities in the  70's and '80's.

Warning contains trains. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Loe Reed - Intro/Sweet Jane recorded live at the NY Academy of music in 1973 and is the first track on Lou's Rock 'n' Roll Animal album.  The track features some absolutely stunning work from Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner, joint lead guitarists.  Prakash John's bass guitar is pretty good too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, this does take me back - it's from Odyssey and Oracle, a classic but perhaps under-rated album from those halcyon days in the 60s.  Every track is a gem but this is perhaps my favourite, a blast of psyche-pop.   It's the Zombies.

Edited by Torper
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Pop Quiz!

Bear with me, this is a rather convoluted tale! Earlier in the week Spotify guy at work played some classic rock toons one of which I always thought was Faith No More. From the swift preview I did of FNM's back catalogue I'm now not so sure.

Now, back in the early 90s Ch4 started airing some cracking English dubbed Japanese Anime, something I'd got into as a nipper with the likes of Battle of the Planets, however these were late night and intended for adults.

One of the series aired began with these opening titles, the music I thought was terrific:

The question is... which classic rock tune do I think sounds eversoslightly similar? Not "get the legal team" similar but the synth hook, more melodic in the Anime, but of comparable a sound makes me think of those early nineties?

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
On 21/07/2023 at 22:34, Classsix T said:

Pop Quiz!

Bear with me, this is a rather convoluted tale! Earlier in the week Spotify guy at work played some classic rock toons one of which I always thought was Faith No More. From the swift preview I did of FNM's back catalogue I'm now not so sure.

Now, back in the early 90s Ch4 started airing some cracking English dubbed Japanese Anime, something I'd got into as a nipper with the likes of Battle of the Planets, however these were late night and intended for adults.

One of the series aired began with these opening titles, the music I thought was terrific:

The question is... which classic rock tune do I think sounds eversoslightly similar? Not "get the legal team" similar but the synth hook, more melodic in the Anime, but of comparable a sound makes me think of those early nineties?

C6T.

At the risk of sending you down the wrong rabbit hole, sounds vaguely "Millennium"-era Killing Jokey to me. Probably not helpful.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

At the risk of sending you down the wrong rabbit hole, sounds vaguely "Millennium"-era Killing Jokey to me. Probably not helpful.

Similar, but the particular tune I'm thinking of has a distinctive synth hook throughout the recording.

Helpful in terms of looking at playlists containing the genre though so thanx.

C6T.

• 2 weeks later...

Informed via my mobile 'phone network provider that Spotify Premium will increase to £10.99 pcm from September. I'm out, I get folks listen to tunes more often than they might view stuff (Netflix etc. subs are less) but nah. I already have a sizeable physical media music collection and the ability to rip it to mp3 so, no.

Besides which, eleven quid a month will garner a sizeable amount of pre-owned music from charity shops and the like if you're lucky.

C6T.

• Like 1

Its gone up here too, but on balance I still count it as money well spent. I've got around 15,000 "liked" songs on Spotify  and I can guarantee that at least 10,000 I've discovered via Spotify itself , either through suggested playlists,  their weekly new music playlist, or their recommendations about bands similar to the one I'm listening to  and so on. I've discovered hundreds of great bands and  whole new genres based on one spotify song, then trying out their suggestions based on it. For instance I spent a couple of months enjoying a journey through  Scottish independent bands based on Spotify suggesting a song by GUMS.  Living in Australia, there's no way that I'd have discovered their music by browsing record shops here, even if there were still record shops!

The radio plays very limited new music, physical music shops don't exist near me and as someone who's tastes are broad but niche if that makes any sense, I don't have any other way or the time to hunt music down. I do have a sizeable CD and LP collection but the number of albums I've spent album price on and discovered I really only like a third or half of the songs (or even none of them!)  on has probably squandered more of my money over the years  than my 6 years of Spotify subscription. 

Finally, my "family" subscription is shared between myself, my partner, my son and my budgie - who has his own account based on the music he most talks along to (mainly Beatles, though he is a big fan of The Saints and The Lovely Eggs)  makes it pretty good value overall I reckon.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

I’ve reached a point now where I can’t be bothered to buy any new music. I might (rarely to be honest) hear something I like on the radio but I won’t get the album. No interest in Spotify or downloading, wouldn’t know how anyway.

Yes, I can guess exactly what you will all say about ‘discoveries’ etc but I’m happy with what I already own. I have hundreds of vinyl albums and CDs and it would take me the rest of my expected existence to listen to them all once anyway.

steve

• Agree 1