RMweb

Dawn over Margate

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Don't know if it helps:

"In the late 1920s and 1930s, Merton saw industrial expansion and a siding was laid from the Merton Abbey track into the new Lines Brothers Triang toy factory in Morden Road."

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/tooting_junction/

More about Lines and Triang here:

https://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/toy-manufacturers/lines-bros-ltd/

Edited by ruggedpeak

Given the mild surreality of this thread, could I suggest that a performance of ‘waiting for godot’ Should be organised to entertain those who are waiting for Dawn from over Margate way.

And, however hard I search, I cannot see the sandwich in the opening picture. Might a seagull have taken it?

• Like 1

I went on a pilgrimage to the Hornby Visitors Centre a few years ago after reading so much about the Tri-ang Factory. It was at Westwood, a few miles from Margate. Living in the south of England at Swanage I expect readers from the north would be surprised at how far away it is from Swanage. Westwood was much more busy than I expected it to be . I enjoyed looking round and I wonder if anyone has started a topic on it. Was the preview held at the Visitor's Centre.

• RMweb Premium

And, however hard I search, I cannot see the sandwich in the opening picture. Might a seagull have taken it?

I heard a rumour (or perhaps read it on the internet) that it was taken to use as a door wedge on the prototype stock for HS2.... :jester:

• Like 1

Don’t see too many sunsets over the sea on the east coast of England

In the interests of  balance and to inject a little culture  Margate is actually quite noted for it's sunsets. JWM Turner, closely associated with Margate and now has an art centre there named after him, even committed them to canvas.

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Slightly less cultural, but I recall a story about the desk in the Margate station parcels office collapsing on one occasion. This was attributed to the SM - who was not very tall - and the lady parcels clerk making regular use of it to perfect the horizontal mambo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Should have been a British Rail Sandwich, then the seagulls would have left it where it was.

A well-known mayonnaise manufacturer once launched a poster campaign saying that their product would even improve the BR sandwich. Well, tee-hee. The posters disappeared sharpish when it was pointed out that they already had a large contract to supply BR.....

Please look at a map, that is impossible at sea level.

It's mildly amusing to be called a liar by someone advising from the other side of the world.

The photo was NOT taken at sea level. Here's a shot I took at the same, and about 10 feet away from Andy, just after we had finished breakfast. We eat breakfast in the morning around here, not at sunset.

Pegwell Bay.jpg

If it's a map you need. Try this one. One of the features of the Pegwell Bay Hotel is the breakfast room enjoys sea views from most of the way up a cliff. You can see the shelter in my photo in this one, taken from the beach.

• Like 6

post-1-0-73244700-1544698898.jpg

A gratuitous scenic snap of Sandwich to the right and Margate behind me yesterday morning after a trip to the ancestral home of Hornby, Westwood House, at Margate to see Hornby's plans for 2019.

All I can say is that you're in for some real surprises come January 7th and some very visible signs of progress. We had the chance to talk to all the directors and I have to say, from talking to Lyndon Davies that there's very real evidence of substantial developments from the Isle of Thanet for 2019 and beyond. We could see that the team have been working very, very hard on some rather special items over the last year!

All I can say is that, until 7th January, Hornby's announcement remains a 'Riddle of the Sands'.

• RMweb Gold

It's mildly amusing to be called a liar by someone advising from the other side of the world.

The photo was NOT taken at sea level. Here's a shot I took at the same, and about 10 feet away from Andy, just after we had finished breakfast. We eat breakfast in the morning around here, not at sunset.

It is a function of the in-and-out nature of much of the UK coastline that direction and views become much more confused than we might expect. Five minutes walk from Sherry’s flat in Babbacombe, Devon, we can look over the sea due north to Teignmouth, or north-east to Lyme Regis.

Many years ago I was passed out as competent to work Sandwich signalbox, but I must confess the last time I was in the area, I was watching Tiger Woods struggling with a gusty, drizzly day at the Open.

• Like 1

All I can say is that, until 7th January, Hornby's announcement remains a 'Riddle of the Sands'.

Well !  IF you are trying to get us to froth over this as a clue ;

1:  The Riddle of the Sands is a popular spy/adventure novel written in 1903 [possible clue ?] by Robert Erskine Childers and involves the heros Carruthers and Davies taking a sailing holiday in the Baltic [possible clue ?] Sea.  Major clues include  "Chatham" [possible clue ?], "Seven" [possible clue ?] and "the tide serving".   (With thanks to Wikipedia)

So, 

1:  Something produced in 1903 ?

2:  A Baltic (4-6-4T) Tank ?

3:  A LCDR railway loco ?

4:  An "Austin 7" or class 7 loco, of class 07 diesel.

:jester:

• Like 3

1:  The Riddle of the Sands is a popular spy/adventure novel written in 1903 [possible clue ?] by Robert Erskine Childers and involves the heros Carruthers and Davies taking a sailing holiday in the Baltic [possible clue ?] Sea.  Major clues include  "Chatham" [possible clue ?], "Seven" [possible clue ?] and "the tide serving".   (With thanks to Wikipedia)

So, 

Er No! Just using an apposite film title suggested by the rippled seabed exposed by the ebbed tide in Andy's photograph... :scratchhead:

I do not intentionally wish to add fuel but, for the sake of historical accuracy, in the second chapter of 'Tri-ang Railways the first ten years' the words, places and dates Rovex, Richmond (Surrey) and 1949 jump out, followed by acquisition by Lines Bros in 1951, relaunching as Tri-ang Railways in 1952, and only then relocation to a new factory at Margate with the name 'Rovex Scale Models' displayed over its entrance in 1954.

• RMweb Gold

Er No! Just using an apposite film title suggested by the rippled seabed exposed by the ebbed tide in Andy's photograph... :scratchhead:

I do not intentionally wish to add fuel but, for the sake of historical accuracy, in the second chapter of 'Tri-ang Railways the first ten years' the words, places and dates Rovex, Richmond (Surrey) and 1949 jump out, followed by acquisition by Lines Bros in 1951, relaunching as Tri-ang Railways in 1952, and only then relocation to a new factory at Margate with the name 'Rovex Scale Models' displayed over its entrance in 1954.

Indeed

"Despite the scale and complexity of Merton, Lines Bros. Ltd. continued to acquire companies and premises around Britain and across the channel. They further extended the Unique and Unity Cycle Co factory in 1950, (later renamed Tri-ang Toys (Birmingham) Ltd.), and the following year took 100% of the share capital of Rovex Plastics Limited of Richmond, which was set up in 1946 by Alexander Venetzian and which produced electric train sets, mainly for Marks and Spencers. This was re-named Rovex Scale Models Ltd, and produced the Tri-ang electric model railway system. In 1954 it moved to a new factory in Margate, Kent, and the original Richmond facility was used as an overflow for Merton, housing Lines Bros. (Richmond) Ltd. and producing mainly musical toys, later becoming involved in the development of electronic toys................The following year, in November 1958, they bought Minimodels Ltd., a Havant company founded in 1947 which had introduced its Scalextric racing system in 1957......

The Hornby-Dublo range of train sets, which had been manufactured by Meccano, were consolidated with Tri-ang’s own railway system and sold to Rovex Scale Models, who continued production under the name Tri-ang Hornby Railways at their factory in Margate."

https://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/toy-manufacturers/lines-bros-ltd/

So, 

Was the ever delightful Wikipedia used as your source? The Riddle of the Sands takes place in the North Sea, which rather rules out the 4-6-4T theory. Wikipedia has moved the Frisian Islands to the Baltic Sea and has yet to move them back again.

That's easy!

• "Riddle of the Sands"
  • Jenny Agutter
  • Railway Children

Ergo - Hornby are going to produce a Railway Children set!

oh wait....  Bachmann did one a while ago.

Back to the drawing board!