Bachmann 2019 Speculation

piranha230

• RMweb Gold

I would agree, but then how do you explain Heljan doing the Class 25/3, or Accurascale doing the Deltic?

I'd think the 25/3 is probably just a case of bad timing on someone's part.

The Deltic?  I'm not that surprised somebody else has decided to have a go.

I've always felt there is something not quite "there" about Bachmann's model, though I've never been able to put my finger on exactly why.

John

I have a sneaky suspicion that it won’t be Bachmann releasing a new 37/47 tooling.... if I was a betting man, i’d Have a punt on Rapido doing one or the other...

I think that there is more chance of either Hattons or Rails entering the frame regarding a re-tooled 37 or 47, and of course, Realtrack could possibly spring a nice surprise.

One never knows !!!

Cheers.

Edited by Perfect Paul

A release date of April 1 would seem appropriate given all the guff that's been aired about Bachmann possibly cancelling something which is clearly almost ready to go.

Given the time and grief that appears to be involved in them getting anything tooled in the first place, I can't see them wasting something that's already done.

John

Whats is this about Bachmann cancelling something nearly ready to go? Is that something that hadn’t been announced?

• RMweb Gold

Whats is this about Bachmann cancelling something nearly ready to go? Is that something that hadn’t been announced?

I was "getting at" a number of posts that suggested Bachmann might be having second thoughts about the 94xx because they couldn't bring it in at a price the market would swallow.

Having got away with charging £70 for the auto-coach, I dread to think how high the price would have to go to be considered excessive for a new loco that sat high in the wishlist polls for several years prior to its announcement. 

Add in assorted sniping that Hornby can't be trusted to make a decent Manor, and I'd say both companies might be wise reconsider having any further involvement with the products of Swindon. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Would quite like a 47 in freightliner grey to go with the Bachmann freightliner flats

Really a selection of containers to go with these would be nice, as even Triang managed a good range of types!

30' foot flats as used on Aluminium Ingots and Reeled paper would be a good choice!

Mark Saunders

post-24481-0-38584900-1545509266_thumb.jpg

I'd think the 25/3 is probably just a case of bad timing on someone's part.

The Deltic?  I'm not that surprised somebody else has decided to have a go.

I've always felt there is something not quite "there" about Bachmann's model, though I've never been able to put my finger on exactly why.

John

I have a green SYP D9004, and it has the front cab windscreen frames printed on the glass.

This, for me, spoils the ' look ' of the front end, and is certainly in error.

Edited by trevor7598

• RMweb Premium

Well this is my first time at having a wish, you never know it might come true....how about MXA Lobster Box? See quite a few in Hinksey Yard in Oxford.

Good call, seeing as they have the BDA chassis to mount them on.

• RMweb Gold

Really a selection of containers to go with these would be nice, as even Triang managed a good range of types!

30' foot flats as used on Aluminium Ingots and Reeled paper would be a good choice!

Mark Saunders

With you on that one MArk

Some nice examples on the excellent Mr Bartlett's site

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Mark Saunders

We used to have 4 wagonloads of Baco ingots every week, from Scotland to Cardiff. The final delivery being articulated lorry.

• RMweb Gold

One of my Canton guard jobs was the Edinburgh-Danygraig (Swansea) Freightliner, shunt at Pengam (Cardiff) and work the train to destination with a 47 or 52.  This train usually had aluminium ingots on open flat containers, and one was once stolen (this is a huge object of several tons, requiring heavy duty mechanical equipment to move) from the train while it was standing awaiting the calling on signal to enter Danygraig yard in Crymlyn Burrows.  Round a bend and out of sight of the loco, the perps simply drove a large forklift up to the side of the train and unloaded the container with the ingot, I was told about £40k's worth (this was back in the 70s).  I was not the guard that day...

• RMweb Gold

One of my Canton guard jobs was the Edinburgh-Danygraig (Swansea) Freightliner, shunt at Pengam (Cardiff) and work the train to destination with a 47 or 52.  This train usually had aluminium ingots on open flat containers, and one was once stolen (this is a huge object of several tons, requiring heavy duty mechanical equipment to move) from the train while it was standing awaiting the calling on signal to enter Danygraig yard in Crymlyn Burrows.  Round a bend and out of sight of the loco, the perps simply drove a large forklift up to the side of the train and unloaded the container with the ingot, I was told about £40k's worth (this was back in the 70s).  I was not the guard that day...

There were a couple of big south Wales smelters back in the 70's One at Risca (can't remember the name) Rheola in the Swansea valley, DiAlloy (John Williams, Cardff & Caerphilly), Metal Alloys (Treforest) and my old factory, Alloy Wheels International (Cardiff). There may have been others, but I wouldn't know. We had 20-ton consignments from Baco as ingots, and cut concast billet from Norsk Hydro.

As a result of this, we had a semi-continuous flow to South Wales of Aluminium ingot. Some from Scotland, others from Avonmouth, etc. Some got imported from Egypt, which was awful stuff....

Ian.

I was "getting at" a number of posts that suggested Bachmann might be having second thoughts about the 94xx because they couldn't bring it in at a price the market would swallow.

Having got away with charging £70 for the auto-coach, I dread to think how high the price would have to go to be considered excessive for a new loco that sat high in the wishlist polls for several years prior to its announcement. 

Add in assorted sniping that Hornby can't be trusted to make a decent Manor, and I'd say both companies might be wise reconsider having any further involvement with the products of Swindon. :jester:

John

Bachmann have already backed off from producing some big steam engines, part of the reason for the Yorkshire tanks, etc was that they were smaller to produce and would come in at a better price. I think there were statements along the lines of that when some products were announced. Hence no really big tender engines from Bachmann that are new in recent years. The V2 might change that with the retool but will be interesting to see how that comes in at. 

There are final livery sample photos around of the J71 and J72, so it will be made. The V2 is another kettle of fish.

It's just the J72 at present, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a 71 announced in a year or so, as they are very similar locos with the driving wheels and splashers being the main visual differences.

The J72 livery samples are definitely in existence in reality, they were on the stand at Warley and certainly more than an upgrade being a completely new tooling.

Much as I'd like to see more NER locos announced, I think that will wait until the E1 (J72) and O (G5 commission for TMC) are available.

Having seen the Farish 8f tooling sample, I wouldn't be surprised to see that announced, as the research is all there and the Hornby one is starting to show its age a bit.

I'm really not sure which D&E models could be worth going at as the available classes that would really sell in an upgraded form are getting snapped up. The Accurascale Deltic and Hatton's Shed spring to mind, the SLW 24 being a bit of a different level of model but would anyone fancy doing a slightly lower spec one?

It'll certainly be interesting for the next couple of years to see where people are putting their eggs!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

Three car Hampshire DMU.

I can't remember where I read it, but I thought Kernow were getting costs for doing the 3 car Hampshire. Not so sure Bachmann will announce this with the 2HAP & 4BEP still outstanding.

AC EMU to go with 85 & 90 maybe....

Edit: Think it was a response to a question on social media.

Edited by steve1023

I think we will see either an updated 37 or 47 announced, probably a 37 to deter Accurascale who have tooled up the bogies for the class 55.

I would love to see a motorised version of the EFE tube train, it always feels that the EFE tube was a missed opportunity and Bachmann are well placed to better exploit it with some of their smaller mechanisms.

• Like 1