The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Retirement car

rockershovel

I’m still working, it seems, and one consequence of that is that I’m racking up mileage on the car I bought as my intended retirement car.

So it looks as though there will be one more car in my life, before I’m done.

I don’t share my wife’s obsession with saloon cars (a now-rare type, which has caused me a lot of in-necessary trouble on the rare occasions she can be persuaded that her present car is beyond further economic use).

I’m done with the large 4x4 which have long been my usual transport. I do like them, but I no longer work on pipelines and don’t want the attendant fuel consumption, £500 road tax and tyre costs.

Long ago, I took a shine to the VW Passat. I also like proper estate cars (which is to say, long-wheelbase cars with proper leg-room in the back seat, and a full 6’ load bay with full headroom the full length) and the Passat was/still is one such. I have also been favourably impressed with my current Skoda Scout, basically a poor man’s Audi 4x4 with a proper estate body. The Ford Mondeo is a modern version of the Cortina estates I once made good use of (I was a great fan of Cortinas, especially the later 2.0 ones; a big strong car with no particular stand-out qualities, but plenty of room and no real bad habits). The Mercedes estates speak for themselves.

Yesterday I had a Skoda Superb as a courtesy car while the Scout was being serviced and put through its first MoT. Nice set of wheels; roomy, unfussy, plenty of pull for our East Anglian mountain ranges and easy to park. My good wife immediately announced that “it was far too big for her” (although she happily drove a Toyota Carina saloon for many years) and “far too fast” (she presently drives a VW Bora with the same powertrain - the logic of this escapes me entirely) so I’m not really concerning myself with a car that suits her idiosyncrasies.

So the Superb looks to be front runner, right now; what do others favour?

Skoda estates - well engineered, well made and unpretentious - great value for money.  A close personal friend who works for Jaguar - LandRover swears by them! 

Like you, I'm racking up miles in a vehicle that is intended for other purposes, in my case a ten year old T32 VW Transporter that I bought to move the band around; presently I commute in it adding 300 miles per week.  I'm in the market for an Octavia estate and have made serious inquiries about half a dozen low mileage/ ex-demonstrator examples, so this is where I'll be heading in the next few months, keeping the van for its intended use.  The guy two doors down has a Superb estate - fairly high spec model - which I plan to check out before I put my money where my mouth (finger) is!

Good luck and enjoy the search!

• RMweb Gold

Having got fed up with the constantly increacing company car tax, I am in the middle of looking for a replacement at the moment.  looking for a decent sized estate cars (having discounted the 4x4s that would have ticked all the other boxes for the same reasons you describe)

I cant quite decide whether or not I want to spend my full budget, so my list is currently between the C Class estate (we have had our current one for 5 years since new without a single problem), a Jaguar XE purely because I like the design enough to overcome the lack of an estate, Volvo V60 which looks a fantastic car inside but is a little too new (I am aiming for something a year old) or the aforementioned Superb.

The Superb looks to be fantastic value, with a good build and great reliability, just inside and out feels a little bland.  The Volvo is by far the nicest interior, but its expensive compared to the rest of the list.  The Jag looks great and the drive is brilliant, but there is a rather large question mark over reliability (and I need to do the best part of 20k miles a year).  I need to do some more research and see if the new C Class stands up against its predecessor for reliability, but does at least come well spec'd even if I think looks wise the last generation was a lot better looking. 

• RMweb Gold

I have just been in exactly the same position.

I brought over a 2005 Citroen C5 Mk2 estate which I have owned for 10+ years and run for a while here, but decided as it was getting a little tired, having used it for work in the UK, and the mileage was high I would buy my retirement car. Like yourself, I like proper estate cars, so I plumped for another C5, 2014 Mk3 this time, the 210hp Exclusive with the techno pack and all the goodies which I have just collected from the UK.

As for which one to buy for yourself, unlike me you don't seem to be a devotee of any one make, so the Skoda gets good reports and seems to be a reasonable price, so I'd go for that.

Mike. 

• Like 1

The Jag looks great and the drive is brilliant, but there is a rather large question mark over reliability (and I need to do the best part of 20k miles a year).  

The other half has a company XE Sport, and it lives up to its description, however it has spent time in main works for a couple of niggly faults that the dealer failed to sort quickly and efficiently. Also the build quality does feel as though it's 'to a price.'  May have just been luck of the draw but their customer service in particular has left much to be desired.  Must try harder.

• RMweb Gold

The other half has a company XE Sport, and it lives up to its description, however it has spent time in main works for a couple of niggly faults that the dealer failed to sort quickly and efficiently. Also the build quality does feel as though it's 'to a price.'  May have just been luck of the draw but their customer service in particular has left much to be desired.  Must try harder.

That is exactly my worry, 

I am used to very good service from Mercedes, and I don't really want a step backwards.  It was the same reason I discounted the car I really want from my list (Alfa Guila) because I cant face interacting with their dealers on a regular basis (and improved reliability aside I don't trust it to do 80k miles over 4 years without breaking)

• RMweb Premium

Like many orthers I have had many company cars and the large majority being estate cars.

Cortina, Mondao, Caviler and Vectra

On mr retirement some 12 years age I switched to Toyota having had one Verso and two Yaris all great cars.

My current car is the Toyota Auris Hybrid estate car and is a great car.

I don’t buy cars anymore but lease them and as all Toyota come with a 5 year warranty I know what my annual motor expenses are.

At the end of the lease period I have the option to buy the car or lease another new one.

No it’s not the cheapest option but suits me

The current generation Mondeo Estate is an excellent car, I had one as my last company car and still miss it. The previous generation Mondeo was very good, I had a 60 plate one from new, it is still going having done 250k.

• RMweb Gold

I drove an XE while looking for my next car. But I was disappointed by the feel of it. It felt cheap and engineered down to a price. I ended up getting another Mazda 6, go for the saloon which is much longer than the estate ( including a longer wheel base), and has much more room in the back, Still has a massive boot that is also longer than the estate's. The new model is very refined and loaded with goodies. I have the top model with all the bells and whistle as a company car. One of my colleges has a 'business' model E class. He drove my car and the first thing he said was 'It doesn't say much does it'' Quickly followed by " Why does my e class not have..?" several times. My first Mazda 6 drove 95,000 miles in three years, and only had one unscheduled stop at the garage. Which was due to a sensor bling clogged up by all the bio material in modern diesel fuel.

Astra estate. 1.7 diesel.

Wife and daughter have had seven between them, all have ended up with 225K mileage. Room for a pair of five foot baseboards or a couple of rubble bags of garden rubbish. It will eat an old bath or freezer, perfect for trips to the tip or collecting bulky eBay wins.

Performance is not too far behind my MX5 and they are good in snow. New ones are starting to be reasonably well kitted out, older ones can be a bit basic.

Very practical and long lasting estate with decent economy, if driven sensibly: Passat diesel turbo automatic. I had mine for nearly fifteen years, traded-in a few months ago because I knew two ‘big bill’ items were on the near horizon.

Skoda estates: my only criticism would be that they seem to skimp on whatever it is that reduces road and engine noise/vibration coming up through the front footwell.

I ended-up with another VW (petrol turbo this time) as my semi-retirement car, simply because, as a family, we’ve found them to be solidly reliable, but I don’t really think there is much difference between VW, Skoda, and Seat.

• RMweb Gold

I love the Skoda superb, iirc one of them has the same chassis as the VW phaeton/Bentley flying spur

I’ve just ditched my ‘dream car’ in favour of something a bit more realistic for the same reason of racking miles up in it, I’ve swapped my 5L LWB VW pheaton for a £1000 mini convertible and am having a right laugh in it, fuel has gone from 18mpg to 41mpg, tax down from £550 to £255 and I’m getting loads of cheap bits off eBay to make it my own!

Edited by big jim

Had a VW Jetta for nearly twelve years now and it's been the best car I've had. 60-70 mpg on a run, 45-55 pottering about. 2.0 ltr turbo diesel so it goes very well, 2 year service interval if doing low milage or 20,000mls max. Biggest boot in class, very comfy. Great sounding audio with eight speakers,(like my music). Would have another one but told the newer ones aren't up to the same build quality and that from a VW saleman.... Looking at a Seat Ateca 2.0Tdi at the moment.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I drove an XE while looking for my next car. But I was disappointed by the feel of it. It felt cheap and engineered down to a price. I ended up getting another Mazda 6, go for the saloon which is much longer than the estate ( including a longer wheel base), and has much more room in the back, Still has a massive boot that is also longer than the estate's. The new model is very refined and loaded with goodies. I have the top model with all the bells and whistle as a company car. One of my colleges has a 'business' model E class. He drove my car and the first thing he said was 'It doesn't say much does it'' Quickly followed by " Why does my e class not have..?" several times. My first Mazda 6 drove 95,000 miles in three years, and only had one unscheduled stop at the garage. Which was due to a sensor bling clogged up by all the bio material in modern diesel fuel.

The Mazda 6 is probably the great invisible car, it drives very well, is very well equipped, is made by a manufacturer with an excellent record for reliability and is good value. I was about to say I can't understand why you don't see more of them but then I realised I'd by lying as I think the reason is down to the badge and our obsession with German cars when it comes to large saloon and estate cars. I was very close to buying a Mazda 6 for my current car but bought an Audi A6 because despite a nominal SRP which was £14,000 more than the Mazda 6 I wanted the Audi ended up lightly cheaper thanks to the ruthless discounting between the three German brands. I'll admit I was swayed by the Audi cabin quality, and I got a DSG gear box which was much better than the Mazda auto option. However, contrary to Audi's reputation for quality in the 18 months (20k miles) I've had it the car has threw a gear box, died on the drive with a dead (and I mean dead, not flat charge) battery and has had other niggly issues. The experience is similar to my wife's VW Golf, she has a 1.4TSI 140 which is a fabulous car if it hadn't been a saga of niggly issues and faults.

If I was to buy another ICE car I'd be tempted to return to Subaru (despite the chav chariot image and cheap trim no car I've had has come close in terms of quality) but I am minded to go electric for my next car. I love the Tesla models.

Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI SE 150 bhp Petrol  Estate 2016 model, bought when she was a 2 month old pre reg £5000 off list price with 80 miles on the clock !! . £30 a year Road tax and averaging 50 m.p.g. or more on a run, at least 40 around town as well. Luggage space is enormous e.g takes 3 metres lengths of pipe inside with ease and runs well far and is far from slow , comfortable as well . Replace a much loved Saab 9.3 1.9 TID sport which was always "temperamental" at best and died with electrical failure, very glad I went back to petrol ,now much cheaper fuel to buy and road tax as well.

Job done. Perhaps a Superb next ??

Edited by micklner
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for the Octavia estate, however if you want one that is fuel efficient don't go for the 2lt petrol VRS. Very quick and fun to drive (for an estate), but not great on the fuel economy. On a good long run it will get into the very low 40's. On short runs it struggles to get into the 30's. 

• Like 1

Skoda have improved a lot in recent years. The non-turbo 4-cylinder diesel fitted to most Octavia models until 2013 was a right old slug. They also had their fair share of timing chain failures which were a known fault on pre-2014 VAG engines.

I’d overlooked Mazda, but they are a solid brand.

My wife’s sister was a great fan of the Ford Focus.

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2

Skoda Scouts have been very good here in Sweden for us - no problems whatsoever, economical (TDI) and cavernous. We have had manual, 4x4.

I made an unavoidable long trip during the storms early last year, and the Scout performed very well. I have the manual version, I wanted a pin automatic but couldn’t find one.

• RMweb Premium

When my Audi A6 was in to wait for a new gear box I was driving a Kia Stinger. The replacement car policy for warranty work is like for like but the car hire company contacted by Audi didn't have an A6 in the local depot and offered me a choice of bringing one in with another car to keep me mobile or if I liked that car to just keep it until my own was ready. The car offered was a Stinger, I knew nothing about it but it went like the proverbial off a shovel, was wonderful to drive, had more toys than I could shake a stick at and had a nice cabin. I ended up driving it for three weeks and loved it, I would happily swap the A6 for a Stinger as it was a much better car IMO.

I'm heartened by the love for the Czech wing of V.A.G being expressed here, especially the Phaeton and Bentley Mulsanne Turbo rebadged as versions of the Superb estate  :sungum:  

That Skoda shelved a VRS version of the Superb should perhaps come as no surprise then, if the high end ones share their undergubbins with the other top-end tin.  I'm definitely thinking of a couple of test drives before I go back to work after the 50th Anniversary of the WR closure weekend, an event that I will be attending in my trusty 07 plate ex-RAC T5  :angel:

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

I'm heartened by the love for the Czech wing of V.A.G being expressed here, especially the Phaeton and Bentley Mulsanne Turbo rebadged as versions of the Superb estate  :sungum:  

That Skoda shelved a VRS version of the Superb should perhaps come as no surprise then, if the high end ones share their undergubbins with the other top-end tin.  I'm definitely thinking of a couple of test drives before I go back to work after the 50th Anniversary of the WR closure weekend, an event that I will be attending in my trusty 07 plate ex-RAC T5  :angel:

Well, yes. The Skoda Scout doesn’t have front position sensors, although the mounting sockets are obvious; this is because the cruise control uses them on the Audi models, and the Skoda cruise control is just a basic throttle setting on the control stalk. There was a 184hp automatic version of the Scout listed, but I’ve never seen one. The Superb only seems to have 4wd in the slightly bonkers, £34000, 280bhp DSG version; reviews of this tend to agree that for the price, you’re better off with an Audi, which I suppose is the whole point really.

Isn’t a Mazda 6 a Mondeo clone?

is it? Or is a Mondeo, a Mazda clone?

Ford neatly sidestepped the whole business of developing a “true” 4x4 by partnering with Nissan. After all, if you’re going to employ “badge engineering”, “the Ford Ranger is really a re-badged Nissan Navara” won’t lose you any sales.

• Like 1