The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

I think the deal with sky is that not more than 50% of the programme can be race, and all the interviews from the grid or paddock immediately post race have to use the sky footage and interviews. Also sky is heavily promoted in the Channel 4 footage

Spanish race was rather boring I thought, each to his own though

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

A Merc 1-2, didn't see that coming ..... said no one ever!

I really hope Ferarri and/ or Red Bull can find that bit extra and start challenging at the front again soon

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, l_robbo_101 said:

A Merc 1-2, didn't see that coming ..... said no one ever!

I really hope Ferarri and/ or Red Bull can find that bit extra and start challenging at the front again soon

Perhaps the new Daimler-Benz Chairman will see things differently and the budget will be cut. That should do it. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

58 minutes ago, l_robbo_101 said:

...hope Ferarri and/ or Red Bull can find that bit extra...

The message so far is that Mercedes have all the 'extra' in their back pocket.

If it does the business at Monaco where it has been weak in past seasons, then it will be pretty much confirmed that they have achieved 'optimum car'.

Good work from Verstappen. New attitude this season? Just going to graft away to be the best of the rest, to securely demonstrate his class.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was that only 50% of the programme can be racing (rather than only showing 50% of the race), so in a 2 hour programme it can only contain 1 hour of racing.

Edit: whoops, we were already onto a new page, and Steadfast has covered that, as you were!

Edited by njee20
  • Like 2

I agree the limited track time C4 are now allowed is causing some confusing moments in the highlights show. I guess the editors have a bit of a job deciding which bits to show, and for most of the highlights, there was something of interest going on, albeit mostly behind the front team, rather than just filming a long procession. If the races did get more competitive, and with more incidents, goodness knows how they would make sense of it all.

Personally, I like Steve Jones - he gives the show a whimsical, personal element, which I feel it needs, with an hour free of actual racing. I know others hate the bloke. You could do, as French TV, just show pretty much just the race and a wee bit afterwards, with the commentators even more confused than I am. The technical explanations segments and graphics are actually far better than Sky or C4, but without emotion. It just has no soul. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The only complaint I had last night on C4 was the complete missing out of LH's pit stop. I assume it went to plan LOL

Re Mercedes' ability and Ferrari's lack of ability to evolve the car the series of articles by the BBC's "Secret Aerodynamicist " make good reading. Seems the chap (or chapesse) was right ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47527705

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47838557

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

What's that, a Mercedes 1-2. Gasp.

I mean, it's not their fault that Ferrari, Red Bull etc can't catch them up, but sport is only interesting when the outcome isn't a foregone conclusion before they've even started.

Something is rotten in F1, it just seems to lurch from one period of tedious dominance by one team/ driver to another.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Zomboid said:

Something is rotten in F1, it just seems to lurch from one period of tedious dominance by one team/ driver to another.

I don't think that is rotten. I just think it is the nature of F1.

Interesting that Ferrari's pre-season advantage has gone completely.

I was told by an insider that they were suspected of using 'fuel tricks' again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I was told by an insider that they were suspected of using 'fuel tricks' again.

But how does that work for them? It just makes them look daft in races as their performance drops sharply, it would be odd to falsely exaggerate pace in testing when holding your cards close to your chest surprises your opponents. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I don't think that is rotten. I just think it is the nature of F1.

I suppose it depends on what the point is. As a technical exercise in getting the ultimate performance out of a car it's fine, but the nature of it is now that the margins are both tiny and gargantuan. If the speculation about Ferrari's philosophy is correct then they might as well pack up now and start developing their 2020 car. That's entirely their fault, but a sport where such a situation can occur is not a sport at all.

I don't even like Ferrari, I'd much sooner Mercedes beat them in a competition. It just isn't one...

• Like 2

When you really wanted to know who the best driver in the world was in equal machinery, this little event used to happen each year at the end of the season. Fabulous stuff...how many of today's F1 drivers would risk getting beaten by an indy car or f3 driver ?

Edited by Chrisr40
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

But how does that work for them? It just makes them look daft in races as their performance drops sharply, it would be odd to falsely exaggerate pace in testing when holding your cards close to your chest surprises your opponents. 

That is unlikely to have been planned that way.

All teams push the rules to the limit. When they are suspected of going too far, they stop. When this occurs is irrelevant. It could be after a GP win or a double DNF. It looks like this time it may have been after testing.

It is not just Ferrari. Many teams have tried new things.  Williams got active suspension working better than anyone else, Lotus developed a twin chassis car & led the way in ground effects. Tyrrel developed the fan-assisted aero car. Mercedes gained an advantage for a few races last year with a new way of cooling brakes which was later deemed to be illegal.

It is a sport of small margins & complicated rules. Any loophole is fair game to the team who finds it first.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Dutch Grand Prix to return next year, it seems.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2019/05/13/dutch-grand-prix-expected-return-next-year-home-favourite-max/

Barcelona  (don't know why I put Valencia the other day - senior moment...) is potentially at risk then, although with Liberty Media wanting to go to 25 Grands Prix/season, who knows?

There's a comment about Zandvoort possibly being 'processional' - but many tracks are like that already, including Barcelona...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Dutch Grand Prix to return next year, it seems.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2019/05/13/dutch-grand-prix-expected-return-next-year-home-favourite-max/

Barcelona  (don't know why I put Valencia the other day - senior moment...) is potentially at risk then, although with Liberty Media wanting to go to 25 Grands Prix/season, who knows?

There's a comment about Zandvoort possibly being 'processional' - but many tracks are like that already, including Barcelona...

Maybe in honour of Valteri coming on form they should put Imatra on the calendar. That would add a bit of spice and it's unique feature appeal to this forum...

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That is unlikely to have been planned that way.

All teams push the rules to the limit. When they are suspected of going too far, they stop. When this occurs is irrelevant. It could be after a GP win or a double DNF. It looks like this time it may have been after testing.

It is not just Ferrari. Many teams have tried new things.  Williams got active suspension working better than anyone else, Lotus developed a twin chassis car & led the way in ground effects. Tyrrel developed the fan-assisted aero car. Mercedes gained an advantage for a few races last year with a new way of cooling brakes which was later deemed to be illegal.

It is a sport of small margins & complicated rules. Any loophole is fair game to the team who finds it first.

The Fan Car was actually the Brabham BT46B. the chassis that ran in this configuration for a single race were BT46B-4 and BT46B-6. They only raced once and won that race. It was declared legal by the FIA for the remainder of that season but the concept was not pursued and it only competed in the single race. There was quite a bit of debate as to the legality of the car by the CSI who effectively banned the car immediately.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Richard E said:

The Fan Car was actually the Brabham BT46B. the chassis that ran in this configuration for a single race were BT46B-4 and BT46B-6. They only raced once and won that race. It was declared legal by the FIA for the remainder of that season but the concept was not pursued and it only competed in the single race. There was quite a bit of debate as to the legality of the car by the CSI who effectively banned the car immediately.

Brabham. Thanks for correcting me on that. I couldn't quite remember.

I do remember that it was not banned but that it would have been the following season & all teams agreed that it was too dangerous a concept to pursue.

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Zomboid said:

... If the speculation about Ferrari's philosophy is correct then they might as well pack up now and start developing their 2020 car...

However, there are major rules changes for the 2021 season. That's the car that any team wanting to be competitive in F1 will be putting most design and development effort into now. Mercedes have clearly got the car for the present rule set nailed, and I am pretty sure are now systematically handing their drivers all the remaining technical advantage in the design, over these last two seasons. The team has been very clever in concealing the true scale of advantage by giving their drivers 'just enough' in previous seasons to secure the championship.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Zomboid said:

If the speculation about Ferrari's philosophy is correct then they might as well pack up now and start developing their 2020 car.

That's about what Binotto said in interview after Barcelona

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

However, there are major rules changes for the 2021 season. That's the car that any team wanting to be competitive in F1 will be putting most design and development effort into now. Mercedes have clearly got the car for the present rule set nailed, and I am pretty sure are now systematically handing their drivers all the remaining technical advantage in the design, over these last two seasons. The team has been very clever in concealing the true scale of advantage by giving their drivers 'just enough' in previous seasons to secure the championship.

Lewis knew that Merc were ahead of the game with the turbo hybrid engine when he moved to them I am sure of it. Remember how we all wondered what the hell he was doing moving to what was then a mid pack team at best (not helped by an ageing Schumacher)?

Merc will have the 2021 car well under way by now

• Agree 5