The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

More likely Mercedes are trying to make it look close so people don't switch channels to something more thrilling...insert a clichéd niche unfashionable pass time of your choice.

There's no kudos earned from beating people when your car is that much faster than everyone else's. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Kerbs and wind seem to be costing big bucks. Horner says the new wings needed as a result of kerbing issues in FP1 have cost Red Bull £250k, and Verstappen's off will have increased that number in FP2 by some margin. Then there's Bottas..... This is a non-street circuit that bites back, and they aren't numerous. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Toto has confirmed that Bottas suffered from wind. Hey, we've all been there. 

18 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

I've never crashed my car because of it though.

Yet.

I've had to abandon the car with all the doors open on some occasions.:jester:

• Funny 8

17 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

More likely Mercedes are trying to make it look close so people don't switch channels to something more thrilling...insert a clichéd niche unfashionable pass time of your choice.

There's no kudos earned from beating people when your car is that much faster than everyone else's. 

But isn't the Ferrari faster than a Merc in a straight line? Mercedes have at last discovered how to make their car go around bends, like Red Bull, and that is what appears to be making the difference this year?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

But isn't the Ferrari faster than a Merc in a straight line? Mercedes have at last discovered how to make their car go around bends, like Red Bull, and that is what appears to be making the difference this year?

So that's where Ferrari are going wrong, they are in the wrong motorsport...

Dragracing anyone...

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And there I have been all these years thinking that the team producing the fastest car deserved the applause.

That's not my point of contention. My assertion is that it does little for your product if it appears to have it easy. Regardless of whether you deserve success if it appears to come without being troubled by your peers and at least kept honest then non partisan viewers will turn off. People want to watch a race not to see that Mercedes have done a better job in the wind tunnel or on the dynamometer. The current situation seems to suit a lot of people so perhaps I am unusual in hoping that after 2 hours the result of a sporting event is not a forgone conclusion.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On the contrary I think Merc and Renault are in F1 specifically to compare their products publicly to Ferrari, which has a sports cachet second to none worldwide. Honda also gain kudos, and thus sales, if their engines cross the line first. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Ah but a Ferrari is aspirational ...anyone can have a new/ second hand Honda, Renault or Mercedes. You can even apply that to Porsche or BMW and no amount of F1 championships or domination by them is going to change that.

I recall a Top gear episode where they compared a Mclaren, Audi and a Ferrari. The Audi was the agreed most competent car, the Mclaren the most advanced whereas the Ferrari ...well it fell apart a bit. But when they had to choose which car they would own it was a victory for the prancing horse because it had something that made the practicality or technical wizardry of its competition pointless.

Personal opinion - I don't think you can compare many cars to any Ferrari - it's an emotional thing and you either get it or you are left puzzled by it.  BTW I am sat here in my Ferrari shirt ready for qualifying.

My thoughts on F1 are because I want to see a race. If merc win then good for them but I want to see a bit of a fight for it. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Should be more entertaining now Lewis has been dropped to fifth ;) 

And his Ferrari rival starts 9th, I think. Surely a really good chance that Merc will not be on the top step of the podium. If they are, they really deserve it. And when was the last time a McLaren started on row 2?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

And his Ferrari rival starts 9th, I think. Surely a really good chance that Merc will not be on the top step of the podium. If they are, they really deserve it. And when was the last time a McLaren started on row 2?

Still a Merc win for me. Starting first is a step forward for Ferrari, but they have a history of poor strategy, and the F2 race showed soft tyres not doing so well. If Leclerc is not leading at the first turn. he has a big problem.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2